This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2010 09:00

PowerEdge 1950: PCIe Training Error: Internal Storage Device

Hi,

I have all of sudden started to get the following error when I boot my server:

PCIe Training Error: Internal Storage Device

I looked at the manual, but it didn't have an entry specifically for this, so I tried to do what was similar.

I have removed and reseated my expansion card risers, with no luck. I even but in a pair from another server with no luck.

I have tried to reseat other things I could find with no luck also... Does any one know what this means?

Thanks!

1 Message

November 8th, 2013 10:00

We received a bunch of old 1950 servers and many had the board on the front left, that plugs into the front left side of the box go bad.

We ended up replacing the Capacitors large green. Capacitors in general go bad the quickest. 

884 Posts

December 30th, 2010 10:00

The internal storage controller sits in the front left of this system in a sideplane. Most likely, either the sideplane or the controller itself needs to be replaced. You could also try and BIOS and BMC (DRAC if present) first to see if that helps.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 11:00

thanks for the fast response!

I also noticied that it was "internal storage slot" not device..

So I tried to reset the left side panel and still did not work.

I'll try to use one from another server and repost.

Thanks

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 13:00

unfortunately swapping out that part didn't seem to do the trick :(

Any other ideas?

884 Posts

December 30th, 2010 16:00

Try a known good controller in the slot.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2011 19:00

What did you swap out? the PCIe raid controller or the back plane? both? or other?

I have the same error. I don't have hardware to swap with so I would like to purchase the right replacement part the first time.

David.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2011 19:00

FYI: my error says "PCIe Training Error: Internal Storage Slot"

PowerEdge 1950

PERC5 Raid Controller part number: MY412

PCI-E Riser Card part number: J7846

Backplane Board part number: U7820

Thanks for any info.

David.

1 Message

August 21st, 2011 12:00

Hi David,

Were you able to figure out which part worked for you?  Thanks!

Keith

3 Posts

August 26th, 2011 14:00

I do not remember which part fixed it, I bought replacements for all three parts to save myself time. I believe it was either the controller or backplane, not the riser.

1 Message

January 27th, 2012 19:00

I have a client with the same issue, after spending 5 hours and talking to dell tech support (which was awesome f.y.i. because the machine was not under warranty) and their basic outline includes:

1. stripping the server down to basics to make it post. mine was able to post if I disconnected the RAID controller, but unplug the side plane, the back plane from the motherboard one by one until you can post. Note that pulling the back risers out of the machine will cause it to not even turn on at all, but try one processor at a time and one stick of RAM until everything is back in.  Also take note that the back plane communications are routed through the RAID controller to the side plane and then to the motherboard so in most cases the issue lies within these three parts.

2. try spare parts. i tried a brand new raid controller first, then back plane and side plane next, which dell informed me that normally this would fix the problem. This did not solve my problem.

3. try and reset the NVRAM by changing the jumper settings on the motherboard itself. the Dell tech said this was their last ditch effort before they would say that the motherboard itself was dead.

My motherboard is showing up Monday, I hope this helps others other there.

1 Message

May 24th, 2013 04:00

I have seven Dell1950s here, all purchased at the same time and all out of support.  So far four have failed with "PowerEdge 1950: PCIe Training Error: Internal Storage Device"..  So, I suspect Dell have a batch of faulty buards out there. But they've lasted the requisite three years so it's our problem not theirs.

I'll be converting all of mine to SAN boot rather than waiting for the rest of them to fail.

Keith. 

No Events found!