Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2013 10:00

R620 needs USB3 or eSATA PCI card. Suggestions?

We need to attach some fast, external storage to this R620,  but I have not had much luck in finding a PCI-e eSATA or USB 3.0 card that works.

I use the exact same cards that I've used in other PowerEdge models (earlier), but in the case of the eSATA card, it causes the POST to halt when it detects hardware.  I've tried multiple USB 3.0 cards, and most have a problem with not having the power connector plug into the card.  Is there a way to get a standard power connector off the power supply in the R620 to plug into a USB 3.0 card?  I did find a card that did not need the power connector, and it is detected and Windows Server 2008 R2 loads it fine, but so far every USB 3.0 hard drive I plug in does not work for some reason or another.  Windows will throw some odd error about the drive, or a some point in writing to it, it will just go offline.

So, what does work in the R620?  Is it because it's using UEFI??  I prefer eSATA over USB 3.0, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

March 19th, 2013 08:00

We have the same issue, except we need both eSATA and USB 3 to work in our systems. Right now I can tell you that the Rosewill 2-port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed PCIe card (RC-505) works in the PE T620 and PE T420 systems. We are still on a hunt for an eSATA card.

December 10th, 2013 10:00

so has anyone solved this issue in the past year?  is there anyone from Dell monitoring these forums who can weigh in on this question?

Helllooooo.

thanks

9.3K Posts

December 11th, 2013 21:00

Neither eSATA nor USB3 is considered an 'enterprise' solution for connectivity, so the little looking around the major server manufacturers shows that none offer these connectivity options on their main servers (Dell included).

You could look into a SAS HBA with external ports (SFF-8088) and use a splitter cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-External-Mini-SAS-SFF8088-Ext-MS-1MES/dp/B000JQ51CM.

December 17th, 2013 10:00

"Enterpise" fine, how about SMB?  What is the problem with including USB3 in PE servers?  According to my searches there are hundreds of us looking for solutions who do not "qualify" as enterprise, but need greater speed to external devices for backup.

just my 2¢

10 Posts

December 21st, 2013 12:00

The manual for the Dell PowerVault 114x recommends either the Belkin or StarTech USB 3.0 cards.

We used the StarTech PEXUSB3S23 in our R720's for backup and they have been fine for 5 months.

Rich

1 Message

January 3rd, 2014 01:00

Hello ALLSYSG001!

We need also an USB 3.0 Interface for Backup in a R620.

You wrote that you are using the Startech Card since 5 months.

Have you the additional powersupply connector connected?

And if not is the speed still USB 3.0?

In the specifications from startech is not clearly defined that happens, if the powerconnecter is not used.

That would be very useful for me!

Thanks in advance!

10 Posts

February 27th, 2014 10:00

Yes the SATA power cable must be connected.

16 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 06:00

where did you get SATA power in the R620? I do not see any place on the system board or spare porwer cable to use..

May 13th, 2014 07:00

@DEV MGR -- an R420 is hardly considered strictly an "enterprise" server.  While eSATA may be a dying standard, USB 3.0 is an INDUSTRY STANDARD, as are PCI-e slots.  If I can't easily take a PCI-e USB 3.0 card and plug it in a R420 without the server seizing up, then there is a problem.  

I should be able to plug any PCI-e card into a R420's PCI-e slot.  Otherwise, Dell should remove the PCI-e slots and use some proprietary Dell slot and make us buy Dell manufactured cards.

In any case, for anyone interested, I was able to get a RocketRaid 62x series e-SATA card in the R420 without giving an error at POST.  I must note, though, that the external drive needs to be UNPLUGGED from the card during startup or the R420 throws an error.  Once the system is booted, I plug the drive in and it works fine.

I think it's completely ridiculous that something as simple as a USB 3.0 card doesn't work.

Maybe DEV_MGR has a list of all "enterprise" class cards so I know what is considered enterprise!

1 Message

February 25th, 2015 15:00

I have exactly the same problem. I have a DELL R620 and I cannot find a connector to connect my USB PCI card with SATA power connector.

Any suggestion or help on this?

74 Posts

March 5th, 2015 02:00

This is the connector I am talking about:

74 Posts

March 5th, 2015 02:00

Same thing here

BUT

Wouldnt this work? http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATPCIEX8ADP-6-Inch-Express-Adapter/dp/B007Y8FSMQ The connector seems to be the exact same on ítem 4 here http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/Topic/poweredge-r730/R730_R730xd_Publication-v1/en-us/GUID-F9627386-54DD-4436-AAC6-9DBF28DC52B7 in the manual. It should be able to convert it to a standard SATA power connector which I need for a USB 3.0 PCI-E card.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2022 17:00

I'm using an R720.

Looks like the Startech 2-port is suitable. Need four ports, so two of these will do - hopefully.

Any update from anyone - success or not?

No Events found!