Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 09:00

Restore Dell branding to an R640 - aka blank "Model" in iDRAC?

Question: Is there any additional or other way to restore or set the branding to show a Model of R640?

Background: I have a Dell R640 that came to me with "Dell IDPA" branding. When I looked up the Service Tag, the system *did not* show as an OEM/OEMR/OEM-R. Since it had to be an OEM for Dell DP4400's(the IDPA server hardware), I tried to "fix" branding based on information like:

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/Missing-Model-Name-and-Manufacturer-in-iDRAC/td-p/8233500

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/Missing-Model-Name-and-Manufacturer-in-iDRAC/td-p/8233500

That information lead me the "Dell PowerEdge OEMR 14G ID Module" from https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=9GFXR via the EOM page of https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/oth-r640/drivers

Following the directions *removed* the the "R640 IDPA" "Model" from iDRAC and BIOS and has left it blank. This is actually a little worse that having the IDPA left behind!

My preference would be to restore, but I'm open to direction on how to *set* that information (which I can't seem to find much information on how).

Additionally, the directions from the "Dell PowerEdge OEMR 14G ID Module" have a very confusing direction of,

"16. Custom Branding is now complete. You may now validate all of the custom branding options you have selected including Logos, BIOS Settings, iDRAC Settings, and Lifecycle Controller settings."

This leads me to believe that the "Dell PowerEdge OEMR 14G ID Module" is actually trying to *set* OEM pieces and not restore. Is there an easy way to set the information? 

Also, what is the purpose of the "9GFXR_Cust_5_00.pm" versus the "9GFXR_CustBSU_5_00.pm"? I can't figure that information out at this time.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 6th, 2023 06:00

I'm not sure if I did not properly follow the instructions or what, but using the Identity Module from the "4XHVW_14G_DBE_CustBSU_3_00.exe" (https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-vc/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=4xhvw) worked this most recent time.

Since I run Linux servers, the only note I have is that the you do not need a windows system to extract the *.exe file. Just use 7z instead:

(to list the contents)

7z l 4XHVW_14G_DBE_CustBSU_3_00.exe

(to extract the contents)

7z x 4XHVW_14G_DBE_CustBSU_3_00.exe

Then upload to the iDRAC as the instructions from the page above states.

So, I must have done something wrong the first couple of times.

Thanks for looking.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 09:00

I should also note that the hardware/BIOS/iDRAC are updated to the latest firmware versions as part of a dsu update.

• 

3.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2023 21:00

Hello, thanks for choosing Dell. A PM file isn't something you can just download from a website, could you please call in to see if you can get this from tech support? https://dell.to/3juLHGy (you can set the country on the top right)

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 6th, 2023 05:00

DELL-Young E: Sadly, I've not been able to get to tech support to ask for the correct .pm file. So far each attempt gets me to the "out-of-service-contract" department.

All I want is the get the Dell branding back.

February 6th, 2023 06:00

Hi, I read from Dell's instructions and a Reddit post that the BSU module is only for replacement motherboards. I have not tried that way because of that concern of bricking the server. I have two R730xd servers that are branded from a popular search engine. Your post makes me wonder if I should try the BSU anyway?

Using an Ubuntu Live USB I installed the racadm tools and was able to erase the BIOS and iDRAC settings to default, getting rid of the system setup password. Now I can edit everything in BIOS and iDRAC settings myself. I can install Proxmox no problem.

The thing I cannot do is install an iDRAC Enterprise license; for some reason that menu option is hidden in the iDRAC web interface. I am not sure if the BSU would bring that back to life. So I am torn: do I continue as-is with iDRAC Express and I can do everything else or risk bricking the server with BSU to see if I can get iDRAC Enterprise? I miss the Virtual Console capability as the server is in a basement.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 6th, 2023 09:00

I don't recall having any issue with that yellow server. I know for sure that it had the iDRAC Enterprise! I always put that on the servers.

As fate has it, I also just noticed an old test server that is an R630 with no Model listed (a likely rebrand that got reset to blank). It has no model, but does have iDrac Enterprise. I'm going to find the BSU file for this and attempt to apply. I've got to get it fully BIOS/Firmware updated via dsu first.

Thanks for the quick reply! That is good to know! I have two of the bright yellow servers so I could try it on one, worst-case, they did not cost me anything except my time in figuring out the process. The warranties expired last year so these boxes may soon come to the secondary market if not already. Your warning is good to consider; I have the correct non-BSU and BSU files for my system as Dell does a good job telling you what will work for your system.

In my case I am not sure the BIOS menu looks restricted; at least I do not need anything at the moment I cannot adjust. As I said the big one for me is not seeing how to import an iDRAC Enterprise license. If applying the BSU gets me that capability then I consider it a home run Do you have experience with getting iDRAC Enterprise on the bright yellow servers or the one you are working on now?

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

YMMV, but the BSU .pm file does not seem to be able to brick a system based on my attempts (don't put the wrong system on of course). My original attempt removed *all* branding - no non-Dell logos and no Dell logos. However, it did bring back most of the original BIOS menu structure as opposed to the limited  one that the IDPA BIOS version had.
So, I'd try it if it were me... Just make sure to use the correct BSU file for the R730 and not the one I linked for the R640.
BTW, I have one of those bright yellow R730xd's you are talking about. I just recently decommissioned it; how funny.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 6th, 2023 11:00

Since I had an R630 in the same "blank model" boat, I did try that server, also... and succeeded. This system, however, did show as an OEMR type when I looked up the Service Tag (unlike the R640 that showed Dell IDPA).

For the R630, the Dell support page had a version "C4M46_CustBSU_1_00.exe" from https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=c4m46&oscode=naa&productcode=oth-xlr630 I attempted twice to apply based on the directions provided, but still the Model was blank. As this was a basically a forgotten test server, I went ahead and applied the DBE Identity Module instead. That file was "R4K3T_PowerEdge R630, _CustBSU_1_00.exe" from https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r4k3t&oscode=naa&productcode=oth-xlr630 and that *did* return the model to showing "PowerEdge R630" (no longer blank).

Here is before from the "inxi" utility:

[root@XXYYZZ ~]# inxi -M
Machine:
Type: Server Mobo: N/A model: 086D43 v: A04 serial: .ABC12345.CN7475153L0462.
UEFI: N/A v: 2.16.0 date: 07/20/2022

To:

[root@XXYYZZ ~]# inxi -M
Machine:
Type: Server System: Dell product: PowerEdge R630 v: N/A serial: ABC12345
Mobo: Dell model: 086D43 v: A04 serial: .ABC12345.CN7475153L0462. UEFI: Dell
v: 2.16.0 date: 07/20/2022

Yes, "dmidecode" does show the DBE, but I only search for the Model and not the SKU:

[root@XXYYZZ ~]# dmidecode |grep PowerEdge
Product Name: PowerEdge R630
SKU Number: SKU=NotProvided;ModelName=PowerEdge R630, DBE
String 6: 9[PowerEdge R630, DBE]

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

February 6th, 2023 12:00

Based on what I'm find, the DBE files are the ones that set the Dell tags back on the system. I have found that at best, the BSU files "blank out" some fields.

February 6th, 2023 12:00

Sorry to derail your thread I was able to apply an iDRAC Enterprise Trial license after all. While I did not have the Licenses quick menu I could click in the System Summary part of the System quick menu.

My service tag identifies as an OEMR R730xd and gives me these download options for the Identity Module: 3Y3J5_Cust_1_00.exe or 3Y3J5_CustBSU_1_00.exe with description Dell OEMR PowerEdge R730 ID Module.

My Identity Module is currently version 1.01.

I can use my Windows machine to extract the .pm file and upload to the server via iDRAC web interface. I had tried many times to upload this non-BSU 3Y3J5 but it did nothing.

Other users mentioned a different file which did not link to my service tag: 2P6YJ_R730xdDBE_Cust_1_00.exe and 2P6YJ_R730xdDBE_CustBSU_1_00.exe with description Dell PowerEdge R730xd DBE version of ID Module to support Embedded OS on Dell standard platform.

I admit I do not understand the nuance between the file linking to my service tag or the DBE file. Any suggestions? Do I next try 3Y3J5_CustBSU? Then 2P6YJ_R730xdDBE_Cust? Last try 2P6YJ_R730xdDBE_CustBSU?

February 16th, 2023 19:00

I can confirm, with your help, I successfully rebranded the yellow branding back to Dell on the R730xd chassis for the two that I have.

1. Installed 3Y3J5_CustBSU_1_00.pm which stripped the OEM branding
  2. Installed 2P6YJ_R730xdDBE_CustBSU_1_00.pm which added Dell branding
  3. System now reports itself as a PowerEdge R730xd, DBE

I still cannot use iDRAC Virtual Console. I have a trial/evaluation license. I am not sure if that is the reason. I will find a vendor to buy an official license and see if Virtual Console will work. That seems to be the only thing I am missing.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

April 24th, 2024 21:09

@pjwelsh​ Do you know if this file 4XHVW_14G_DBE_CustBSU_3_00.exe works for the Dell R440? I used the CustBSU file available on the OEM R440 support, but now the model is showing up blank. I didn't find the DBE file for Dell R440. 

Thanks!

No Events found!