Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

3 Posts

March 15th, 2019 06:00

T20 No power

So I've recently purchased a used T20 and pressing the power button does nothing. 

The diagnostics button on the PSU indicates green, with fans powering up as expected, but the switch on the front gives nothing. 

I would normally test the PSU with my regular kit but it's not an ATX standard.... (why Dell... just why?!)

Any ideas? 

I have

• Re-seated all cables
  • Removed any unused cables
  • Tried different kettle lead
  • Tried different wall socket
  • Re-seated memory
  • Moved memory to different slot
  • Removed graphics card (it came with a ATI HD5830, I wasn't planning on keeping it anyway)

• 

6.2K Posts

March 15th, 2019 10:00

Hello

I would suspect that it is either the power switch/control panel or the system board. If the system persists at minimum-to-POST then you will need to start replacing the remaining components.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln111201/

It sounds like the previous owner had unsupported hardware installed. I would look through the rest of the hardware to see if anything else has been added/changed. You should be able to locate documentation on the system and the original system configuration from the support page.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

3 Posts

March 17th, 2019 04:00

UPDATE

So, I managed to get it booting for a while (it's dead again).

Initially, it came up with the errors below IMG_20190315_165004[1].jpg

So, I've moved the memory to slot 1 (it was in slot 2 upon arrival) and I've also noticed it's SK Hynix, not Dell. 

So it's looking like either the cable or the switch has gone. Unfortunately, I can't get it out as it appears to be locked into the mobo connector somehow, I don't fancy yanking it until it comes out, as I suspect the port will come along with it...

Any ideas on how to replace this cable... Again, due to the non standard nature of this kit, it makes finding parts a pain in the backside...

Moral of the story, if a server \ workstation comes up for sale sale for half the price it would normally go for, there's probably a reason for it...

2.5K Posts

March 17th, 2019 06:00

The diagnostics button on the PSU indicates green, with fans powering up as expected, but the switch on the front gives nothing.

Server boot up in  a serial way, step by step,

the green LED is a REAR LED that only means some power AC is arriving from the street (AC home power service

FRONT: what does it do , this matters:

so the front power button led is dead but pushing the power button the fans go live?

amber glowing in front is bad, covered in the manual ,even means bad PSU.

the front button per the manual does this, a bi-colored LED

The power button LED located on the front of the chassis also functions as a bicolored diagnostic LED. The diagnostic LED is only active and visible during the Power On Self Test (POST) process. Once the operating system starts to load, it is no longer visible.Amber LED blinking scheme – The pattern is 2 or 3 blinks followed by a short pause then x number of blinks up to 7. The repeated pattern has a long pause inserted in the middle. For example, 2, 3 = 2 amber blinks, short pause, 3 amber blinks followed by long pause then repeat.

if all this above is dead, the PSU may be bad. 

the DELL PSU has non ATX  power plugs to the mobo (motherboard) I bet on purpose and for good reasons.

and 8 and 4 pin,. not 24 as PCs use ATX standards. (some workstations NOT)

The dell PSU has lower noise too.(server grade ) and lots of other features not seen on a PC.

Some have 5 levels of power protection so you do not blow up a $1000 CPU, or a pair. (not good that)

ebay has one right now for $30 , T20

2.5K Posts

March 17th, 2019 06:00

not sure what kit means, is this UK slang, it's ok , slang is cool , by  me but???

We here in yankee land have top sellers of servers sold used (refurb) fully guaranteed , and are near  immaculate. (there is  GLUT of top grade servers sold now, here, "due to rampant upgrades in huge server farms"

R710 for $100 USD? 

and shipped it in custom expanding in place,  foam, zero damage.

First off this is not a toy server, as many seen sold today, it is not a PC nor PC like server nor is  it a ATX spec, PSU or the like,

Dell , as does HP makes real servers,  one example of the custom PSU the BIOS can control it even the fan inside, and or has more powerful fan so the cooling is way better and more BALANCED.

top grade systems connectors just don't fall off,  they have locks, just like on your car, same deal that.

same reason to they can't fall off and kill dead a production server, (like netflix etc?)

In the USA a kit might mean a spare parts kit, and in the Army some other thing, IDK but hear that in films. now.

My guess KIT MEANS DESIGN ?   The custom Dell Design? if any thing in there is confusing please ask

there is a reason for every part inside, and is not a PC, not at all.

T20 is very new, 2013 oldest I guess.

see the manual yet, free at dell, see the yellow amber power lamp flash codes.? yet? flash 2,7?

and this,

"The system emits a series of beeps during startup if it detects no memory. The beep code pattern emitted is 1-3-2 (1 beep, then 3 beeps, then 2 beeps). The delay between each beep is 300 ms, the delay between each set of beeps is 3 secs, and the beep sound lasts 300 ms."

so remove all memory,? and if no beep the PSU IS dead. if it can turn on at all, if not PSU is dead.

if all is dead, I would guess the PSU is dead, do you know how to test PSU standby power, if that 5vdc stby feed is dead

The south bridge chip needs standby power or the power button will be dead. (

for memory checks, read page 40 here it is not simple.  the rules.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-t20_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

you many have worn memory inside too.  BUY only SPEC memory,  (and is not trivial at all)

good luck with your T20 and the kit.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2019 11:00

So, powering it up via holding the diagnostics button at the back gives the following:

• Fans spin up
  • HDD's spin up
  • Green light on PSU

I get no lights on the front of the unit itself.

I actually believe the switch \ cable is as fault here. Do dell still sell the parts? Else this is going to be a hard find...

• 

6.2K Posts

March 20th, 2019 09:00

I have two part numbers listed for the cable. I think they are interchangeable, but I would check your cable to see which one you have. I would replace like for like.

30WGC, 5FD93

You can check with our spare parts sales in your region to see if we have the cable for sale. Normal sales reps don't typically have the ability to sell spare parts. Spare parts are sold from our warranty stock and are not always available for purchase.

The messages you are getting when the system is turning on are the type of messages you would get if the CMOS battery were not functioning or the jumpers were in the clear or reset positions. If you moved jumpers around during troubleshooting then I suggest reviewing the manual to make sure they are back in the normal slots. I would also replace the CMOS battery.

Thanks

2 Posts

May 31st, 2021 13:00

changed the power switch but nothing, the power light didnt lite up.

• 

3.6K Posts

May 31st, 2021 15:00

Hi thanks for choosing Dell. Would you be able to be more specific with your current situations/symptoms so that might help us help you troubleshoot further? You can also send us your your service tag through DMs. Wish you a good one. ^^ 

6 Posts

December 1st, 2022 13:00

Hi i followed every step as directed and stil no change ,pc do not power on and power button does not light up like usual. Just the fans that keep spinning. 

• Please see attached file as reference to problem.
  • How can i send you a short video clip of whats happening?

Thank you. 

Screenshot_20221201-232616_Gmail.jpg

No Events found!