PowerEdge Hardware General

Last reply by 09-27-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The System Detected an exception during the UEFI pre-boot environment.

I am getting the message below when rebooting a Dell PowerEdge R740xd2 server which has a BIOS version of 2.12.2

PowerEdge_BIOS.png

This is message that I am getting in the iDRAC event log:

A fatal error was detected on a component at bus 4 device 0 function 1.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this and how to resolve it ?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Hello HW-U,

Was anything being done on the server when this occurred? Firmware updates or Hardware changes?

Recently installed hardware or updated software may cause this exception. Update or remove the hardware or software.

In the log where you see "bus 4 device 0 function 1"; Is there an entry that indicates a slot number?

A bus fatal error was detected on a component at slot #

If so try reseating or removing the device.

Once you can complete POST without error; the BIOS 2.12.2 needs updated to 2.15.1 and check that the iDRAC is up to 5.10.50.00.

https://dell.to/3BElWZm

Dell -Charles R
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

View solution in original post

Replies (2)

Hello HW-U,

Was anything being done on the server when this occurred? Firmware updates or Hardware changes?

Recently installed hardware or updated software may cause this exception. Update or remove the hardware or software.

In the log where you see "bus 4 device 0 function 1"; Is there an entry that indicates a slot number?

A bus fatal error was detected on a component at slot #

If so try reseating or removing the device.

Once you can complete POST without error; the BIOS 2.12.2 needs updated to 2.15.1 and check that the iDRAC is up to 5.10.50.00.

https://dell.to/3BElWZm

Dell -Charles R
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hello Dell -Charles R

Thanks for your reply. I`ve now successfully rebooted the server several times so the error appeared to be transient. If it crops again I`ll identify and reseat the device as you have suggested. We will also look at upgrading the BIOS and iDRAC.

Thanks for your help.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor