Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

September 28th, 2022 15:00

Dell PowerVault LTO6 on Windows 7

I am trying to get a Dell PowerVault LTO6 to work on an old Windows 7 machine.

I already have an SAS controller card plugged into the machine and the drivers on that appear to be working fine. The drive itself is detected in device manager under Other Devices as an IBM Ultrium HH6 SCSI device, but the issue is that i cannot get the drive to be detected in the programs we use such as NovaXchange and WinTar-SCSI. I have tried using the built in windows LTO driver for it but that did not work.

I tried looking for drivers under both dell and IBM but they all seem to be for server editions of windows and i cannot find the correct one that might fix this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 

3.1K Posts

September 28th, 2022 20:00

Hi @strash52,

I'm unsure if its incompatibility issue is occuring here. To my point of view, it seems to be a driver compatibility issue. Yes, the LTO6 drive is detect by the OS, but the software might not be able to communicate with the LTO6 drive via the SAS card. Based from the guide on LTO6: https://dell.to/3CipguC you can refer it to check what are the backup software are used and OS supports. 

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

September 29th, 2022 03:00

The standard windows driver should work no problem.

its not found under any brand name just LTO.

• 

3.1K Posts

September 29th, 2022 19:00

Hi @tapelibraryfixer,

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any further information to assist on the issue as the OS and software aren't tested or verified to be able to work with the PowerVault. Thanks for providing feedback. We probably will need more public users in the community to provide feedback if they encounter and resolve similar issue that the user had. 

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

September 30th, 2022 00:00

HI

I only come accross these issues as i work in a repair center that uses desktop and server operating systems and test beds. so i come across alot of differant issues at times.

2 Posts

September 30th, 2022 10:00

Hi @tapelibraryfixer 

I thought i had tried that but after installing the default driver it didnt look like it was being picked up by the two programs i mentioned.

We are using the tape drives in ways that are somewhat unorthodox. We have an analyst that needs to directly access the files on the tapes and therefore we cannot use Veeam.

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 02:00

looking at those programs i doubt they even support LTO6.

No Events found!