Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2015 07:00

TL4000 - Windows Server 2012 R2 - Media Change not visible in Device Manager.

I have a question relating to the Tape Library TL-4000

We are trying to connect this library tot a Windows 2012 R2 Server using iSCSI, and after two days we have got to an impasse where the Tape Drive as visible in Device Manager but the Media Changer is not.

We have put the TL into Random mode and rebooted the Tape library, tried reinstalling the drivers and also rebooting the server.

Also, took off all iSCSI connectors for the TL and the four Tape Drive are visible in Device Manager, but the Media Changer is not.

• 

6.9K Posts

February 18th, 2015 13:00

Hello GordonJeanes,

What I would do is to check your setting for your iSCSI bridge as it seems that you don’t have something configured correctly in the bridge that should be showing both the drive & the medium changer. Here is a link to the user’s guide for installing and configuring your TL4000 iSCSI bridge. http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-tl4000_User%27s%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

If all is configured correctly as we lay out in the guide then I would confirm that you also have a control path drive selected on your TL4000 as without that be setup you can also see just the drives & no medium changer.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

February 27th, 2015 02:00

Sam, we had to put the tape library into Random mode, it was in sequential.

Turn off the Windows server. Let tape library power cycle.

Turn the windows server back on.

Load the tape drive drivers, then the media changer drivers - finally power cycle the server.

Then it worked.

• 

6.9K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 07:00

Hello GordonJeanes,

Glad that you were able to get your TL4000 seen after switching to random mode.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

December 17th, 2015 11:00

I have a TL2000 and Server 2012 media server that was exhibiting the same behavior. Resetting the iscsi bridge to factory default solved the problem for me after all of the above steps hadn't worked.

No Events found!