Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2022 09:00

Dell Precision Tower 5810 | BIOS Update

Hello, I am planning to do, a BIOS update, for my PC, but I am not sure, if the update would fail, is it possible to automatically restore the previous version (does the board of this workstation, support Dual BIOS).

Is it possible to update the BIOS from version, A06 to A34, or do you have to gradually from A06 to A11, and then from A11 to A12 and from A12 to A34 ?

My processor is: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3 3.50GHz

My current BIOS version is:
7GABHOc

From above thanks for support

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 30th, 2022 13:00

The general advice on the forum is to go about it in stages not one big jump. Just take your time and make sure not to disconnect the system from power during the procedure. I like to advise users to have a UPS which the system is connected to for power. That way if power is lost at the wall you will have the system protected on backup battery power. I generally don't encourage BIOS updates unless it will correct a problem you are having with the system as any hiccup that occurs during the update can cause major problems. But considering the version you have and the newest version it may be worthwhile.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 2nd, 2022 05:00

That would not be a bad idea. That would be how I would do it. This page at 4winkey has a nice tutorial on how to upgrade as well. However I am getting the impression that you are not sure about the BIOS update procedure. If you are not clear or have never done BIOS updates I would not suggest you attempt it. Possibly have a PC shop do the procedure for you. The reason being that if the update goes wrong or you make a mistake in the process you could easily render the system unusable. The forum is full of posts from users that had failed updates and were left with bricked systems..

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 29th, 2022 13:00

The 5810 does not have dual BIOS. This support page has more information on BIOS recovery. And this sentence from that page would indicate that you have BIOS recovery 3.

"Any Dell computer that is shipped after August 2016 or with the Intel Kaby Lake chipset, supports BIOS Recovery 3."

Read the information carefully as there are a number of stipulations which are required for BIOS recovery to work. And FYI the BIOS recovery file is stored on the hard drive as stated on the page I linked.

11 Posts

September 29th, 2022 15:00

ok, thanks for your help, you can still help, how should I update the bios or how 1 or 2 of these at the top, what I wrote

11 Posts

September 29th, 2022 23:00

(Edited: 30.09.22)

ok, thanks for your help, can you still help, how to update the bios (I wrote about it above), which way first or second ?

11 Posts

September 30th, 2022 13:00

Thanks for the reply, how do you suggest I do from A06 to A11 and as I wrote further above, do you have any other way. Update from BIOS (Flash Tool) or from Windows

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 1st, 2022 18:00

The most recommended way is to use the BIOS boot menu. And again I would update a few versions at a time and not all at once to the latest version.

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 02:00

@JOcean 

So make an update every 3 versions?

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 05:00

Alright, thanks for the site, as for updating the bios I have done this on a Lenovo T410 laptop and at a service centre as part of an apprenticeship. I'm asking just in case because I don't want to have the problem later that the computer won't turn on

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 3rd, 2022 11:00

If you have experience both on the Lenovo and at a service centre you should be fine.

No Events found!