Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2021 05:00

PCIe Slot Splitting in 5810?

Hi all, I'm looking to replace my spinning 1TB disk with 2x 1TB NVMe sticks i have accumulated from past laptops, and put it into my Precision 5810 to use purely for storage. I was planning on setting them up as RAID 0 with software RAID. I found a card on ebay that referenced something called PCIe bifurcation or splitting, and they said to make sure my motherboard supported x4x4x4x4 on my x16 slot. Here's a link to the one i'm looking at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/402804244824. As i look in my tower (i'm going form the bottom up as in this listing: https://qrl.dell.com/Files/en-us/Html/Manuals/T5810/Avalon3SystemBoardComponents=GUID-B80A46A7-753E-49FB-82F6-474D3A37BBA6=1=en-us=.html), i currently have PCI slot 1 for my sound card, PCIe slot 2 and 3 are free, slot 4 is covered by my graphics card in slot 5, and PCIe slot 6 has my NIC in it. I had read in other posts that the 5810 should work with these types of cards, but i wanted to verify which slot i should plug it into. I'm guessing my remaining PCIe 3.0 x16 slot would be perfect, but i hate that it's so close to the GPU, I would prefer it to be in this one: PCIe x16 slot (PCIe 2.0 wired as x4) though it doesn't sound like that would work properly.

Am i right or wrong in my thinking? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

May 7th, 2021 07:00

Hi @the.mknabster , I can confirmed the T5810 does support bifurcation natively.  It would recognize up to four NVME cards automatically.  I don't know about the adapter you are looking at but if you check some of my recent posts on the same topic, I provided some links to similar adapters and you can check the reviews on those and decide which one to get.

You listed the slot numbering backward from the imprints on motherboard so it take a while for me to understand your current setup.  Here is my thought, if you are using PCIe gen 2 slot, it will reduce the speed in half.  Keep in mind that the NVME will produce lot of heat and if they are over 70 or 80 degree, it will throttle the transfer speed.  So, get the adapter with cooling features (heatsink, fan). 

Good luck with your project.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

@the.mknabster , yes, that is a dual slot Dell OEM.  I like that version better than the Quad Ultra Speed Drive because beside good cooling, it does support the enterprise NVME (the long version 110mm).  Asus Hyper stock would be in and out, but Amazon warehouse in US had them on special around 40 USD, so keep an eye out for them.  Also check out the Cablecc  dual and quad and they had been around 25 to 30 USD, and they have good review on US Amazon.

68 Posts

Thanks for your response Chino! Especially with it so close to the GPU, i do worry about overheating with them. Have you ever heard of the Dell DPWC300 card before? I found one on ebay for a reasonable price and it has a fan, but i can't find much info on it online. I was also looking at the Asus Hyper card which has a fan as well, but finding that one in stock has been problematic.

68 Posts

Would you still recommend the CableCC despite them not having a heatsink or fan on them?

68 Posts

May 7th, 2021 08:00

I probably would opt for a card with a built in fan, like the Asus or Dell, and the best price i can find for them is about $54. So that's doable for me. I just need to find out the dimensions of the Dell card so i can make sure it'll physically fit underneath my GPU, because that thing is a behemoth in the computer (I have a Dell GTX 1070 in there).

Thanks so much for your quick responses, i'm glad all this will work!

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

May 7th, 2021 08:00

@the.mknabster , I would with certain configuration.  I had one setup with enterprise SSD (SM963), so the heat does not affect the endurance (6TB DWPD) as it does when using client SSD.  Also if the system use a single Quadro graphics and the other slots have enough space for airflow.  The front fan (next to HDD cage) moves enough air to keep the NVME cool around 46 - 50 degree.  But I just checked today and the price for Cablecc is double from what it was.  Asus Hyper and Dell also are good choice if you can get them around 50 USD.  

You are doing good right now by doing research and planning, be patient and wait for good price on the items you want.  

May 10th, 2021 18:00

Thanks for all information on this post since I am in the similar situation to upgrade T5810, there could be an option for Jeyi ihyper pro versions with aluminum case and fan, for its pcie 3.0 version, it's price is nearly one fourth of Asus M2 hyper from aliexpress. But it is still not right time to buy since price is roaring recently.

For T5810 pcie bifurcation, is it possible to see the options form BIOS or it is automatically recognized once you insert the expansion card?

Screenshot_2021-05-11-08-51-01.png

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

May 10th, 2021 21:00

@Thomas miao , IIRC it was recognized automatically.  You would see all the adapters (with drives) in PCI slots as mass storage.  Once in OS, you can see all your drives, depends on how many adapter and drives you used.

thanks again for your information. I am new to network. if the the 4 M2 drives are automatically recognized after booting to OS, ir it possible for me to reinstall freshly Win 10 on one of the Nvme drives or install on one big drive (raid 4 stick M2 together). if yes, any setting required at BIOS for Windows installation? Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

@the.mknabster , they are designed as single slot cards and they will fit next to your GTX 1070.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

May 10th, 2021 23:00

@Thomas miao yes, you can perform clean install Windows 10 on your NVME drive and it will boot natively (some older machines will required Clover, Refind to boot).  Assuming all your drives are new and unallocated, Windows 10 will list your adapter (with drives) as disk 0, disk 1, and so on, just select the disk (drive) you want, Windows 10 will prep the partition and proceed to installation.

NVME drives can reach 3000 MB/s in Read speed, Windows 10 will load in seconds.  I don't see any advantage in using RAID for your OS.  Save them for data drive, scratch drive, game drive, whereas large data transfer is used frequently.

Don't mean to be rude but we don't want to hijack the thread from OP neither.

May 11th, 2021 01:00

thanks A lot,very clear now.

1 Message

July 13th, 2022 03:00

I am pleased to confirm that "ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card" works well on Dell T5810. T5810 has PCIe bifurcation, so 4 SSDs can be detected automatically.

For those who is looking for a solution, either the motherboard should have PCIe bifurcation or else you need to buy a PCIe SSD adapter that has a chip on the adapter to perform bifurcation. If you choose a PCIe m.2 SSD adapter with bifurcation chip, then the adapter will be expensive.

Luckily, T5810 has PCIe bifurcation. So, a cheap PCIe m.2 SSD adapter without bifurcation chip will work. ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card is a good choice as it's nicely built, easy to get and cost effective.

1 Message

October 28th, 2022 13:00

I see people are saying the T5810 natively supports PCIe bifurcation, could someone clarify how to configure this? I have a PCIE nvme adapter card coming in the mail, but don’t see anything in the bios to configure PCIE bifurcation, and the YouTube video showing how to do so for the T5820 looks different. Does the card need to be installed and populated to show this field?

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

October 28th, 2022 18:00

There is no settings for bifurcation in t5810, just install up to 4 NVMe drives into your adapter and plug it in a x16 slot.  You will see all those drives in Disk Management.  Just that simple.

No Events found!