Precision Fixed Workstations

Last reply by 10-05-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

PNY 2080 ti crashes only on Dell T7910

So I recently got a PNY 2080 ti blower for my Dell t7910, which was an upgrade from my old Titan x, which had worked flawlessly. The 2080 ti worked for about a week, before my monitor would randomly shut off and not recieve input, with the gpu fan ramping up slightly, while the pc would still remain on and running. Assuming it was a GPU issue, I put the 2080 ti in my friend's PC, only to see that it worked perfectly with zero crashes after a long day of benchmarks and gaming. I tried everything. Ran stress tests on CPU, Ram, and DDU uninstalled drivers. I even formatted my C disk, and clean reinstalled windows, only for the issue to appear again once the gpu was put under load. The gpu only works with windows basic display adapter on my PC for some reason. Also, it appears that it works fine until it crashes when under load for the first time after a driver reinstall, at which point, the problems start to happen again, and at a increasing frequency, but seems to reset when reinstalling drivers.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Guys, found the issue, Thanks for everyones help, but I took out the VGA power cables, and noticed they seemed a bit forced open, and after closing the plug holes back up and plugging it back in, it now works.

Thank you everyone!

View solution in original post

Replies (9)
4 Tellurium

If you didn't mention the drivers, i would have said that maybe the psu rail giving power to the gpu is having some issue to deliver the amount required under load.

did you try older drivers ? ( were the same version, the drivers you and your friend used ?)

-----------------------------------------------------
Happy owner of a dual silver T7820

Yes, I tried both latest drivers, and multiple different ages of drivers. My friends computer automatically installed 2080 ti drivers after about a minute, which was the same way I tried to make it work, but it still crashed regardless. I feel this might be a power rail issue, seeing as it only crashes once proper high power gpu drivers are installed, but never crashes with basic display adapter.

4 Tellurium

It would help, having a psu to test. (but getting to borrow one for this workstation is not that simple).

The titan x has a max full load under stress, of 247W, while the 2080 ti "should" reach 370w

Still, it is strange, given that there are videos on GreenPcGamers channel, that showcase a T7910 running a GTX 1080 ti, and a T7810 running a 2080 ti.

Ok, quick update. Changed a bunch of settings in bios, such as disabling legacy boot and and turning on above 4g decode, among many others. It seems to no longer crash during windows boot, but still does under load.

4 Tellurium

This is getting complicate, seems

2080 ti blower should be no problem for a 1300w PSU.

Try replacing the size 2032 CMOS battery.  No guarantees, but needs to be ruled out with the 7910 being introduced in 2014.

Amazon (and others) have PSU testers.  But I don't know if any of them work on server PSU's.  You could always look into it if you want.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

There is a simple way to figure out if it's a wattage issue. Play a non demanding game with Vsync on, to limit framerate. Monitor watts drawn by the GPU and see if you get crashing

Guys, found the issue, Thanks for everyones help, but I took out the VGA power cables, and noticed they seemed a bit forced open, and after closing the plug holes back up and plugging it back in, it now works.

Thank you everyone!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor