Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2018 16:00

Precision 5720 AIO Screen Noise

We have just started using our new Dell Precision 5720 AIO and noticed that when the room is completely quiet, there is a humming noise coming from the lower, center of the screen. The noise will change in pitch (frequency) when I adjust the screen brightness and will go away if i leave the screen brightness set to 100%. Noise also gone when the screen turns off and the AIO is still on. Is this normal operation? Do other users hear this noise? Is there a problem with my screen power supply (maybe the backlight driver or power supply in general)? Is there a problem with my AIO? Thank you for any feedback you can provide before I start talking to Dell.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

February 12th, 2018 07:00

Hi boston_dave,

Please send me a PM with the service tag and your email address. I should be able to get this fixed for you.

Thanks.

February 13th, 2018 07:00

Alasdair,

Thank you for the information concerning the fix to my issue by updating my video BIOS with VBFlash64. Once the update was installed and the computer restarted, the noise was gone. I varied the screen brightness from 0% to 100% and the noise was gone. All I can hear is the quiet operation of the fans (and they are very quiet). I also ran video diagnostics and the performance was very good. The Precision 5720 AIO is a great machine, very nice if you want to save desk space and have a powerful desktop machine.

1 Message

March 14th, 2018 08:00

Alasdair,

I am having the same issue with several new 5720's.  Could you please provide the fix?  Thanks!  

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

March 14th, 2018 09:00

Hi Opechee,

Please send me a PM with your email address and the service tag of one of the affected systems.

Thanks.

1 Message

March 17th, 2018 12:00

Hi Alasdair,\\I am having same issue. Can you please help? New computer and electric noise when lowering screen brightness.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

March 19th, 2018 03:00

Hi Sanchr,

Just PM (click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page) me your tag and email address.

Thanks

1 Message

March 25th, 2018 10:00

Dell Precision 5720 new out of the box same issue with this noise...stops when you put it in sleep mode. Definitely screen brightness related. When brightness is at 100% noise is gone. Anything else the noise is emitting from PC.

March 28th, 2018 23:00

The Dell Precision Workstation AIO 5720 looks good and at first I was impressed. However, there is no height adjustment in the stand, so you will need a stack of books under the stand if you want it higher. The web cam is poor and at the base of the screen you get an upwards view of your chin but not your face. The touch screen is glossy and like a mirror reflecting light into your eyes. But fundamentally the problem is that it buzzes when the brightness is less than 100%. Dell recognise there is a problem and their site engineer has replaced the speakers and mother board but that has not fixed it and even though it’s under warranty Dell are refusing to replace the pc. I believe this buzz is a design fault. A problem that was first associated with lap tops. It could be the coil winder but that would mean replacing the screen! Effectively this means all the parts are having to be change to fix this design fault or basically I have to live with a buzz!

June 6th, 2018 06:00

I have had to now send back the second AIO. The fan was noisy and frequency speeding up. The AIO was overheating to 97 degrees! Boiling point!

1 Message

July 25th, 2018 14:00

I am having the same issue - buzzing noise when the brightness is turned down below 100%. I have updated the bios drivers to the most recent. Problem still exists. I contacted technical support asking them for the link referenced in this post but no luck. I would really like to get this fixed. Is there a link to a special bios update I can get?

July 25th, 2018 14:00

Dell came to site and could not fix the problem and the AIO was returned. The second AIO was also returned as it was overheating

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

July 26th, 2018 02:00

Hi MrKorTek,

Please send me a PM (click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page) with your email address and service tag. I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks.

3 Posts

September 30th, 2018 00:00

Hello Archetect,

did you finally get help?

Best regards

Jade

September 30th, 2018 00:00

yes. took a while. however the second one did not worth either. in the end sent both back.

1 Message

October 8th, 2018 06:00

I have the same problem. Only when the brightness is 100% the buzz will disappear.

No Events found!