Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

41 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 00:00

Precision T3650 thermal throttling Xeon W-1370P

I just got a T3650 with Xeon W-1370P and it throttles regularly. I monitor CPU wattage and throttling with HWInfo64 and often it gets throttled down to 90ish watts to keep temperature at 91C. Other times it manages to maintain 125W with higher clocks. I think the blower heatsink is more than capable of handling the heat, it just needs more blower fan RPM.  I also have an Alienware R8 which does let you adjust fan curves, is there any way to do this for the Precision T3650?cinebench2022-09-22-07-57-35.jpg

October 2nd, 2022 14:00

No ideas? Would love to reduce temperatures and throttling

235 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 06:00

I've used separate PWM controller (based on HW-585 or ZFC39) with thermal sensor to deal with poor fan management by motherboard logic, with additional transistor-based modification: it takes over PWM generated signal with heavier duty cycle (switches between MB PWM output and controller-generated since we can't mix PWM signals due to those coming from different systems - being out of phase and at different frequencies) once CPU temp exceeds 70^.
But those type of solutions are mod project-based, not at customer level.

October 3rd, 2022 10:00

Thanks, I'll look into these controllers!

Have you heard of a controller that will just multiply the input PWM signal and create a new signal? For example if the motherboard is telling the fan to spin at 40%, the device would multiply by 1.5x and put out a 60% signal

235 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 12:00

Technically it is possible but I haven't seen anything suitable for cheap and simple customer-level application. It's digital/TTL waveform (presumably 25kHz as per specification, but most do it at much lower frequency), finding frequency, detecting density, then generating new multiplied signal - without mass-production (and there's no demand) such solution will cost too much.

..but perhaps I wasn't looking into it deep enough, may be there's something simple and at feasible price available in this niche.

As for PWM Fan temp-controller - this I mentioned before is 3-channel (I just needed it for 3 different fans: inflow, exhaust and CPU) but there are single-channel controllers too much smaller in size (although often at roughly similar price).

50 Posts

November 23rd, 2022 13:00

It is not work.... it have throttling issue even on i5-11500........

I have upgraded to VRM heatsink and 125W heatsink and applied TFX simply just NOT SOLVED...

The case design is nightmare, the PSU blocked all the air flow.... it is a failed faulty design!!!!

Dell have new BIOS release which will lower the CPU mhz to solve this issue.....

(** not official, I found out  after BIOS updated, the temperature is lower as cpu not run at full speed**)

CPU not on full turbo speed after reach 80C around.... e.g. i5-11500, it is NOT running on 4.2mhz after temperature hit 80C around.... it will down to 3.7 only.......   I don't know how people can use 11700k and 11900k on this workstation.........

ab.jpg

November 25th, 2022 00:00

I don't think the design of the case is bad, there's plenty of space for airflow. Most of the air comes from the motherboard side, not the PSU side. The problem is that the blower speed is limited which forces the CPU to throttle. If Dell would let us adjust the fan speed, I'm sure the heatsink could handle 125W just fine

235 Posts

November 28th, 2022 20:00

As per your picture (VR heatsink and CPU/fan assembly) - this CPU heatsink is clearly for low-end CPUs, not higher end (peaking to 160-200+ W in turbo-boost mode).

Your W-1370P is ranked at 95W, this heatsink has hardly enough capacity for 65W CPUs (e.g. 11600/11700), W-1370 (without P) is ranked at 80W.

There's simply not enough heat-exchange surface available to handle peak temperatures (it could but it would need a very high airflow to compensate, with louder fan obviously).

You can't put higher RPM fans (because BIOS PWM system is rigged to certain Temp/RPM curve) but you can install fan with similar RPM and higher air pressure (normally larger in diameter and a bit wider, although 2.5 cm fans do well anyways, 1.5 or 2 cm fans won't be enough, on a picture your have centrifugal/blower fan, I've standard axial fan)

Larger fan with similar characteristics will be sending right RPM readings to PWM system of the motherboard while providing higher airflow to keep CPU temps under better control.

I have replaced stock heatsink/fan combo (bought PC with 11300 CPU, then upgraded with i7) right away with much more powerful one (designed for 125W cpus) as well as added Inflow (at the bottom) and Outflow (at the top) fans to ensure there's sufficient air supply and avoiding hot air just running in circle loop inside the case.

By the way - power consumption of 11900K CPU for short time can peak up to nearly 300W.
Absorbing these peaks (to prevent thermal throttle) requires much more heat dissipation and heavier heatsink mass with very good thermal conductivity (preferably copper).

I'm reaching high-frequency turbo-boost modes for prolonged periods of time on 11700 CPU (it doesn't have intel thermal velocity technology) in smaller SFF case (Precision 3450, same line as 3650) without liquid cooling.

50 Posts

November 28th, 2022 22:00

This is NOT for low end CPU heatsink.  The photo attached is UPGRADED version HEATSINK!!

049gC5y2q8yWZZoZ2018Lcd-7.fit_lim.size_768x[1].jpg

11500 come with default heatsink which is WITHOUT copper tube!!   VRM even DO NOT come with heatsink by default!!!!

DELL have ONE upgraded heatsink model only. it is show out in my photo attached already!

The heatsink in photo stated it can support up to 125W,   so what can user do??  This heatsink even cannot handle 4.2 all core on 11500........ This is upgraded heatsink with VRM heatsink module already

Attached Below photo is the DEFAULT T3650 Heatsink for 11500 CPU..............

dell_1662014509_153ace47_progressive[1].jpg

T3650 tower case DO NOT have water cooler module upgrade!  This is a failed design and you can check out from forum... people are NOT able to use 11900k on this model.....

see photo attached....  DELL BIOS will clock down cpu speed to avoid thermal throttle

it will clock down 11500 all core from 4.2 to 3.7 only  when cpu heat 80C around.........

f1.pngf2.png

235 Posts

November 29th, 2022 00:00

I think there might be other limitation than just temperature
(as you can see - mine are kept at 70' which is below yours 80),
there's also another constraint - package power

Initially before upgrading cooling solution I was hitting thermal-throttle slowdowns
but after new better heatsink - there was CPU power consumption limit throttling (142W)
{aka Package Power)

On my 11700 CPU I can get sustainable frequency on all cores (for 20 minutes)
above base frequency (for this CPU it's 2.5 GHz)
but also below maximum turbo boost (4.8 GHz for V 2.0 and 4.9 Ghz for V 3.0)

sam55todd_0-1669711589472.png

Maximum turbo-boost wasn't intended to run this mode forever even though some enthusiast motherboards can run turbo-boost mode indefinitely but Dell Precision series is also optimized for stability, that's why I suspect there's no work around this limitation.

Key point - your screenshot shows good and consistent results well above base frequency for your CPU (2.7 GHz)

Sorry for cooler/heatsink comments, it just looks so small if compared to more advanced tower/workstation.

• 

25.1K Posts

November 29th, 2022 01:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

50 Posts

November 29th, 2022 04:00

2.7GHZ is default clock speed, Turbo Boost clock speed is not. in BIOS setting, Turbo Boost is ON already......

11500 single core / dual core should able to run up to 4.6GHZ, All core should able to run up to 4.2GHZ but even with Heatsink upgraded,  it can run all core at 4.2GHZ less than one minutes..... it will clock down to 3.7GHZ only... it seems the speed will clock down to 3.7Ghz when temperature reached 80C something around.....

Dell should not release this model to public......... it is 100% a faulty design and I wonder why no company sue them.....  

For  i7-11700 initially clocked at 2.5GHz, which may go up to 4.4GHz using 8 cores with All-Core Turbo Boost, or up to 4.9GHz boost clock on a single or dual core

Dell should not release this model to public......... it is 100% a faulty design and I wonder why no company sue them.....  

To be honest, I will not buy any precision model again.........

50 Posts

November 29th, 2022 05:00

I see people can adjust the "long duration power limit" to increase the turbo boast time but I am not dare to try as it is company use PC.... I worry it may damage the processor or motherboard....

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8940-11th-Gen-CPU-power-limited/td-p/8025465

50 Posts

November 30th, 2022 01:00

tur.png

I have downloaded the ThrottleStop and set the Turbo time limit to unlimited.

ALL core speed will down from 4.2 to 4.08 now after 80 seconds around, have a big improvement

I don't know why it can't keep running at 4.2 even set to unlimit turbo time

I am not dare to adjust other value.... so if it can keep running all core at 4.08, it is fine.

You guys can download this tools to try.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

November 30th, 2022 02:00

That CPU heatsink fan combo is a Dell premium cooler.  It also be used for i9 (K) processors.  To improve cooling, I suggest to replace a more powerful 120mm top case fan for quickly removing hot air from CPU cooler.  You can also adding another fan to the upper drive cage, mounting spaces are already there.  It would bring in cooler air to the CPU area better than allowing heated air rise up from the graphics card.  Use a PWM fan splitter with Molex or SATA power so fan speed won't be limited by power of system fan header.  All fans should still work with PWM, quiet when idle and revving up when needed.

235 Posts

November 30th, 2022 02:00

What is VR temperature sensor reading? (they do have some fail-safe throttling there too).
What power supply unit your PC has? (Wattage, although since it's stable anyways i don't think it's the limiting issue there)
PCH/Chipset temp shouldn't matter in this case since it's hardly involved in CPU stress-tests.

HWInfo64 sensor information shows a bit better statistics on Power and Temperature throttling,
it includes CPU Package Wattage total limit and for each core individually.

No Events found!