Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MM

1 Rookie

• 

135 Posts

April 26th, 2019 22:00

T7910 HDD Recognition

I just discovered that the T7910 does not recognise HDD's with SAS Enabled in the BIOS with UEFI mode. SSD's are fine. Is this expected behaviour?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 30th, 2019 09:00

SAS PERC controllers need F6 mass storage drivers.

Integrated RAID Controller
The PERC H330/H730P storage controller driver 

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04038968M/2/SAS-RAID_Driver_M1N4H_WN32_6.604.06.00_A00.EXE

is installed by the F6 method.

You cannot point to the EXE file.  Rename .ZIP and extract the contents to a flash drive to point to.

Chipset drivers are not native to windows.

Nothing whatsoever to do with UEFI

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln298613/dell-precision-workstation-r7910-driver-installation-guide?lang=en

perc sas 3perc sas 3

1 Rookie

• 

135 Posts

April 30th, 2019 16:00

Speedstep, aren't SSD's also mass storage devices? The T7910 BIOS recognises my SSD drives but not my HDD drives! I tried three different SATA Hitachi Ultrastars with SAS on and none of them are recognised by the T7910! Again, the T7610 is just fine. Why one and not the other?

12 Posts

November 30th, 2020 04:00

Is this after you updated firmware with DELL firmware update for SAS 3008 from their support page?
For me, that update nearly bricked my T7910, until I discovered that the problem is that UEFI refuse to accept the internal SAS controller.
Disable Secure Boot and it can find all your harddrive again.

I have tried find info about this and so far, I suspect DELL put the wrong UEFI firmware in the package. I suspect they put in the non-signed version.
According to my findings, UEFI only accept signed firmware in secure boot.
And, to make it more difficult, support for my T7910 ended August 2020, so I cannot have this problem corrected by DELL:
I need a firmware for UEFI that is signed.
Maybe this is your problem too.

1 Rookie

• 

135 Posts

November 30th, 2020 15:00

Thanks for your contribution @PeterSfa. I ended up not using any HDD's! I agree that there is something odd about the T7910. It doesn't seem to like "legacy" hardware at all.

One other issue that I have been struggling with, for over a year now, is the white PCI slot (not PCIe) on the motherboard. I simply cannot get a parallel port adapter card to work in it.

Someone suggested that I should buy an old parallel port printer, and see if I can make that work, but I suspect that the problem is with the T7910 system.

With "Enable Legacy ROMS" on, the BIOS reports that an ISA bridge is present in the PCI slot. Further, Windows 10 Device Manager reports that the device is working properly, with no conflicts, but the card simply refuses to work. I constantly get a "The system cannot find the device specified" error message.

Very frustrating, because I tried everything, and my T7610, with an almost identical configuration works just fine. Go figure!!

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 02:00

Strange indeed, Today I tried to install a Firmware from Supermicro for the SAS3008 and surprice, it works. Windows changed some name for the SAS3008 driver in Device manager, but it works. DELL BIOS find my harddrives. DELL Diagnose from thee boot menu find my harddrives and report no errors. My UEFI Secure boot works. And the firmware is newer then what DELL present on its support pages. One might wonder why DELL have problem with this, when Supermicro shared firmware works better on DELL hardware then whatt DELL shared Firmware does. Something is very wrong. I have tried to alert their support, but so far no response. If they can correct their firmware I will update with it, only for the reason to have correct names in the firmware. But, we will se if that happens. To have a Firmware update on their support pages that is marked "This computer" when you access with your computers service tag and then the firmware brick the computer until you figure out it no longer support Secure Boot, and claim that there is no longer any support for your harrdware, that.. Is more then stupid. On top of this I even think this firmware is propageted with the DELL Optimizer software.. Trying to have folks buy 7920's?? Wont work, we buy something else instead. Regarding the PCI Parallel port adapter. I cannot test on my workstation. I have moved from Sweden to Thailand and could not bring with me all my cards (I have at least two different adapters, from different manufacturer and other chip). It was too limited space and a limit on the weights. Else I would have tried to see if I can replicate your problem here. At least in Legaly mode it should work. In UEFI I suspect the controller must be correctly signed as ex in this problem with the SAS controller. But in Legacy should be exactly as it says, Legacy... Support for all our older stuff. Strange.. Btw, I belive I will take the route with NVMe M.2 in the PCIe for my OS, but I still have need for larger storage, so HDD's it is. I have not decied yet if I wil luse DELL PCIe card for M.2 or if I choose another card. There is no support for RAID in NVMe on a 7910, it was added in 7920, so maybe I try some of the other that have RAID built into the card it self. Not sure if they support boot,.. But this is a later problem. For now I am happy to have Secure Boot working.

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 20:00

BTW, If yoiu ever want to have your computer recognize your harddrives, there is a solution. If you have updated your HBA with the PH15 from DELL, then you can get the signed UEFI directly from broadcom. DELL do not modify this .rom, but they choose the wrong one to include in your update package, they choose non-signed, where you must have the signed version. Go to this page: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9300-8i#downloads Choose Firmware and then Archive. Choose the package 9300_8i_Package_P15_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_WindowsArchive Where it says 15.00.00.00, that is the one DELL use in this update. (There is also a 15.00.02.00, but I beleive it is better to use the same version as DELL used) In the folder: 9300_8i_Package_P15_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip\9300_8i_Package_P15_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows\uefi_bsd_rel\signed Grab the file mpt3x64.rom and replace the one in DELL driver folder where you have your firmware update. Flash firmare again per intruction. Now your computer will recogize your HBA. Pay close attention that you do not take the file from the parent folder above signed, that is the error DELL made. That one is not signed and cause the problem. make sure you take the one from the folder with the name signed. Also, there is a relase 17 for this HBA, but DELL have not published this update. There are several critical updates made in this new relase. You can get it from Supermicro, they have published it. I have flashed my HBA with it since yesterday and it works perfectly. If you need a link to where, post me a note about it. I know you said you do not use harddrives anymore, so maybe you do not need. But if you want, just for the principle to have a 100% working computer, it can be fixed.

1 Rookie

• 

135 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 21:00

@PeterSfa Your best option, if you want to boot an OS from a PCIe NVME M2 drive on the T7910, is to use a quad Dell adapter card, which is expensive.

I have one, and can report that a Samsung 950 Pro stick works fine with it as a boot drive. Not all do! The others are fine for storage but not for booting, so be careful.

I wouldn't waste money on single third party adapter cards because they are a bit "iffy". Most simply do not work.

The Dell card may turn out to be more economical in the long-run. I'm sure that your time is more valuable than testing stuff eventually destined for the scrapheap.

Have you thought about using a normal PCIe drive? Samsung and Intel make fast large capacity models. Again, you must be careful. The Intel Optane, for example, may not work with the T7910 at all. I'm not aware of anyone using one.

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 22:00

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 22:00

Yes what I had in mind from the beging was DELL Duo or Quad. When I dig into it I discovered they do not support RAID.
Here in Thailand I can buy a Dell Ultra Speed Drive Duo, for about 1790 TBH, that is around 60 USD (new). If I would buy on eBay or similar, the shipping would make it too expensive compared to what I buy here locally.

I was thinking about RAID for speed, so a striping was what I had in mind. I make a copy of my boot drive from time to time and I can afford the time it takes to restore my system if needed.
Data is on another drive.

HighPoint make a RAID NVMe. I used them before for SATA RAID and had no problem with them at that time. I saw this modell: https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ssd7202-overview.htm But it is new, so maybe wait and se what people say about them. The ad claim it is bootable.
I am curious about this HighPoint NVMe RAID.

About the NVMe drives, yes I have look into them a little bit, but to my understanding they are similar to using a Duo or Quad card from DELL and put M.2 NVMe on them.
I also belive the Quad card would be cheaper in the long run. But, then again, I have never had one of those, so I do not have experiense with them.
In old times they where only HDDs mounted on a PCB and into the PCI, not much difference.
Today with NVMe and PCIe its another story.

I use my T7910 manly for CAD and software development. In CAD feel the most performance is in the grapichs, but I belive my compiler would gain speed with faster NVMe in RAID 0 mode.

Boot time would also be faster, but, most of the time for boot is the BIOS enumerating anywhay, soo.

I was thinking about maybe erase the BIOS version on the SAS controller and only use Firmware with UEFI. I have not tested, but as long as I use only UEFI, the BIOS should not be needed on the controller.
That would bypass the SAS Bios time it makes before the DELL LOGO, some time saved. But, then again, I only boot it once a day, not a big deal.

1 Rookie

• 

135 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 14:00

In my experience, boot speed is not dramatically faster with an M2 drive. To be honest, I do not really care. As you write, what's a few seconds per day?

As for RAID, another option is to upgrade to a T7920. I understand that a flexbay NVME upgrade kit (two 2TB drives maximum, if you have two CPU's installed) does support it.

August 30th, 2021 04:00

Should I run the download as is from the dell site (maybe Dell Fixed it) or use the 15.00.00.00 signed file from Broadcom?

I am not at the system now but can remote in.  Is there a way to see the controller firmware version in windows?

@PeterSfa 

Hi.  I have a T7910 and after a Bios Update, with secure boot enabled, the system no longer recognizes any drives on the LSI3008 integrated Controller.  All my drives including the boot are on this controller.  I did previously download from Dell the PH15.  I reported this to dell pro support about not seeing the drives with secure boot on at the time when my system was under warranty (June 2019).  They wanted to replace the MB and I chose not to at the time.  My system is no longer under warranty so I want to look at updating the firmware as you noted in your post.  I have been running it for the last two years with secure boot off.

I updated the 3008 firmware to PH15 around May of 2018.  The issue of not seeing the drives happened when I went from Bios A29 to A30.  I am on A31 now and have not done any bios updates since.

I just checked the Dell Site and it shows the version at 15.01.00.00.  I am not sure if the one I installed in May 2018 was 15.00.00.00 or this 15.01.00.00.  

Will this fix, fix the secure boot issue?  I am assuming the issues is that the driver is not signed.

I downloaded

9300_8i_Package_P15_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

I grabbed the signed file mpt3x64.rom but I have not run the Dell Flash yet.

Is there any reason I should use the 16.00.10.00 on the Broadcom link?  I see a 17.00.00.00 but there is no windows file there.

I just want to be able to finally enable secure boot.

• 

16.7K Posts

rinconman285,

Run the Dell Flash and see if that will work and let us know.

August 30th, 2021 05:00

Thanks.  I found it in device manager, but did not see anything that shows the firmware version.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 30th, 2021 05:00

rinconman285,

Run it from the Dell site and if that does not work for you then  try the Broadcom site.  You should be able to see the version by located it in Device Manager and then right click on it and choose properties.

Dell-Jesse L

No Events found!