Precision Mobile Workstations

Last reply by 07-31-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Silver

7760 bricked after BIOS update

7760 CTO on Windows-10

BIOS update released yesterday, failed to boot, requires motherboard replacement.

During BIOS update message “ bios update 100% complete, do not power off”. ProSupport related BIOS recovery and system recovery procedures, which both failed. 

Sorry I don’t know the BIOS update number because system will not boot. This is my 2nd 7760 that bricked during BIOS update. Can someone tell me why this happens? Is there a way to get the system to boot? Should we be trusting BIOS updates from Dell? 

Replies (6)

I CANNOT RESPOND TO YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE, HERE ARE THE ERROR MESSAGES I AM RECEIVING:
…..
You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later. …..
Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and send the message when you are satisfied.

HERE IS MY RESPONSE TO THE PRIVATE MESSAGE:

Yes this case remains open and is urgent.

According to Microsoft Technical support, my c: and e: and f: drives were encrypted by EITHER (1) bad BIOS update (which caused the system to brick, necessitating motherboard replacement) -OR- (2) caused by factory reset while those drives remaining installed, and your process did not warn that leaving internal drives during reset would encrypt them. Either way, this data loss is being caused either by faulty reset procedures or by a bad BIOS update.

At this point, Microsoft is unable to assist further and the drive manufacturer is unable to recover the data. Currently Dell ProSupport is urgently researching methods to recover the locked data drives e: and f: which contain critical business customer data.

Please reach out to case owner Asiel.Delgado@dell.com regarding this case and offer assistance (Dell Support: SR# 1085087472).

<Private Email id removed. TOS77>

3 Silver

following to see solution.

Del CARES, I am attempting to respond to your private message, but again the number of messages permitted has been exceeded. Here is my response to your last private message.

What’s the next step?

Dell CARES, I am attempting to reply to your private message, but it says there’sa limit to the number of private messages. 

Here is my response to you last message:

Yes. But the error says “Try another page. This link isn't working.” 

Similarly, when I use the Microsoft procedure to check for bitlocker, it says there are no bitlocker keys for this account. 

UPDATE motherboard replacement-bluescreen errors-boot drive encrypted

ProSupport sent out site tech to replace motherboard. First replacement, wouldn’t boot. Second replacement, boot with bluescreen but no error code. Able to boot with that bluescreen error successfully. 

After attempting Windows (10) updates, ProSupport has to help get BIOS update completed. After updates done, still received the same no-code bluescreen on boot, but system was operational. 

Then, after a few days, new bluescreen error requiring BITLOCKER CODE, which was never set (and clearly not requiring bitlocker code for the preceding 3 days of successful boots with the bluescreen error). 

Dell and Microsoft no help to recover — had to reset system from scratch. 

QUESTION:  Bitlocker was never set on this system. So what caused the boot drive to become encrypted?

3 Silver

Dell System BIOS version 1.12.1.  

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor