Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

93 Posts

June 30th, 2022 07:00

7760 bricked after BIOS update

7760 CTO on Windows-10

BIOS update released yesterday, failed to boot, requires motherboard replacement.

During BIOS update message “ bios update 100% complete, do not power off”. ProSupport related BIOS recovery and system recovery procedures, which both failed. 

Sorry I don’t know the BIOS update number because system will not boot. This is my 2nd 7760 that bricked during BIOS update. Can someone tell me why this happens? Is there a way to get the system to boot? Should we be trusting BIOS updates from Dell? 

93 Posts

July 14th, 2022 12:00

Dell System BIOS version 1.12.1.  

93 Posts

July 20th, 2022 21:00

UPDATE motherboard replacement-bluescreen errors-boot drive encrypted

ProSupport sent out site tech to replace motherboard. First replacement, wouldn’t boot. Second replacement, boot with bluescreen but no error code. Able to boot with that bluescreen error successfully. 

After attempting Windows (10) updates, ProSupport has to help get BIOS update completed. After updates done, still received the same no-code bluescreen on boot, but system was operational. 

Then, after a few days, new bluescreen error requiring BITLOCKER CODE, which was never set (and clearly not requiring bitlocker code for the preceding 3 days of successful boots with the bluescreen error). 

Dell and Microsoft no help to recover — had to reset system from scratch. 

QUESTION:  Bitlocker was never set on this system. So what caused the boot drive to become encrypted?

93 Posts

July 21st, 2022 06:00

Dell CARES, I am attempting to reply to your private message, but it says there’sa limit to the number of private messages. 

Here is my response to you last message:

Yes. But the error says “Try another page. This link isn't working.” 

Similarly, when I use the Microsoft procedure to check for bitlocker, it says there are no bitlocker keys for this account. 

93 Posts

July 21st, 2022 10:00

Del CARES, I am attempting to respond to your private message, but again the number of messages permitted has been exceeded. Here is my response to your last private message.

What’s the next step?

July 25th, 2022 02:00

following to see solution.

93 Posts

July 31st, 2022 02:00

I CANNOT RESPOND TO YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE, HERE ARE THE ERROR MESSAGES I AM RECEIVING:
…..
You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later. …..
Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and send the message when you are satisfied.

HERE IS MY RESPONSE TO THE PRIVATE MESSAGE:

Yes this case remains open and is urgent.

According to Microsoft Technical support, my c: and e: and f: drives were encrypted by EITHER (1) bad BIOS update (which caused the system to brick, necessitating motherboard replacement) -OR- (2) caused by factory reset while those drives remaining installed, and your process did not warn that leaving internal drives during reset would encrypt them. Either way, this data loss is being caused either by faulty reset procedures or by a bad BIOS update.

At this point, Microsoft is unable to assist further and the drive manufacturer is unable to recover the data. Currently Dell ProSupport is urgently researching methods to recover the locked data drives e: and f: which contain critical business customer data.

Please reach out to case owner Asiel.Delgado@dell.com regarding this case and offer assistance (Dell Support: SR# 1085087472).

93 Posts

August 30th, 2022 07:00

Does anybody have positive feedback on the latest Dell BIOS 7X60 update 1.14.0 from Aug9??

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

August 30th, 2022 12:00

Hi,

Yes I have  few 7x60 devices running BIOS 1.14.0. Seems to work OK. In use about two weeks.

And the BIOS is still available and not withdrawn.

93 Posts

September 5th, 2022 06:00

UPDATE:  BIOS UPDATE FAILED… A third 7760 is now bricked after attempting to apply Dell BIOS update (ver 1.14.0, released Aug09).  

Laptop is currently sitting, power unplugged overnight 12+hours on the final update screen (see attached), hoping system will somehow recover. 

Does anybody have an idea what to do? Holding power button doesn’t stop the update. ProSupport suggested unplugging power. 

ATTENTION Dell Quality Control and Engineering.  This is the 3rd of my 7760 laptops  bricked from BIOS updates. 

9E2AF895-3995-437A-80EA-A11ABA627A81.jpeg

93 Posts

September 5th, 2022 07:00

Response to Dell CARES… 

I am attempting to respond to your private message, but it has locked me out saying that I have sent too many messages. 

I’m sorry, I find this impossible to use this stupid messaging system. I cannot read your message at the same time I’m replying to it and I have to go back-and-forth and then the message is lost this is so stupid this stupid messaging board. Why don’t you use emails like normal people? I will try to work with you because I need help on this Dell is not working with this at all and I am really really upset that this is the third 7760 that has been bricked because of BIOS updates.  I’ll ask that you contact Dell engineering to help with this situation. This is a long ongoing situation and I am really upset that I have to continuously work with you for hundreds of hours to get your products working. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. How long have you been facing the issue?  The first 7760 was bricked about eight months ago. The current 7760 was Brecht about two months ago and required a motherboard replacement. This situation is exactly exactly exactly failing in the same way as the other two situations
2. Have you made any recent hardware/software changes to the system? Yes, Dell put out a docking station update, and I updated that about four hours before I did the bios update.
3. Did you notice any Windows or driver updates that took place recently? No windows update or other driver updates.

4. Any specific reason you wanted to update the BIOS?  Yes, I had been working with Microsoft Support since Thursday. I was copying from SSD to USB thumb drive, and required reformatting several times of the USB drive. Eventually, windows corrupted the USB drive which made it unusable. Microsoft recommended updating the bios

5. What version of BIOS were you currently updating? From version 1.13.0 to 1.14.0

Currently, the laptop has powered itself off because I had unplugged the power cord as the update was frozen, and at pro supports suggestion I unplugged the power cord about 12 hours ago.

So I am at a critical point right now. What do I do when I power up the system?

Will I expect the system will go back to the system prior to the bios update? Will it continue trying to update the bios?

• Can you please contact engineers to help with this? I cannot afford for this system to freeze at this point. I need a functioning system for my business.

I’m sorry, I find this impossible to use this stupid messaging system. I cannot read your message at the same time I’m replying to it and I have to go back-and-forth and then the message is lost this is so stupid this stupid messaging board. Why don’t you use emails like normal people? I will try to work with you because I need help on this Dell is not working with this at all and I am really really upset that this is the third 7760 that has been bricked because of BIOS updates.  I’ll ask that you contact Dell engineering to help with this situation. This is a long ongoing situation and I am really upset that I have to continuously work with you for hundreds of hours to get your products working. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. How long have you been facing the issue?  The first 7760 was bricked about eight months ago. The current 7760 was Brecht about two months ago and required a motherboard replacement. This situation is exactly exactly exactly failing in the same way as the other two situations
2. Have you made any recent hardware/software changes to the system? Yes, Dell put out a docking station update, and I updated that about four hours before I did the bios update.
3. Did you notice any Windows or driver updates that took place recently? No windows update or other driver updates.

4. Any specific reason you wanted to update the BIOS?  Yes, I had been working with Microsoft Support since Thursday. I was copying from SSD to USB thumb drive, and required reformatting several times of the USB drive. Eventually, windows corrupted the USB drive which made it unusable. Microsoft recommended updating the bios

5. What version of BIOS were you currently updating? From version 1.13.0 to 1.14.0

Currently, the laptop has powered itself off because I had unplugged the power cord as the update was frozen, and at pro supports suggestion I unplugged the power cord about 12 hours ago.

So I am at a critical point right now. What do I do when I power up the system?

Will I expect the system will go back to the system prior to the bios update? Will it continue trying to update the bios?

• Can you please contact engineers to help with this? I cannot afford for this system to freeze at this point. I need a functioning system for my business.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

September 5th, 2022 11:00

Why you update BIOS when dock is connected? It's not recommended.

Remove dock and wait until battery is empty and hope the best.

If you are not experienced with BIOS updates remove always all devices from the laptop and connect just the charger. Of course the battery should be almost full before trying to update the BIOS.

93 Posts

September 5th, 2022 14:00

Is this true? Bios update without dock? I was told by more than one Dell tech that dock must be attached otherwise dock will never be accessible. 

I don’t see any reference to docking station in Dell procedure.  Dell 7760 BIOS Update procedure  

Can someone from Dell please confirm?

93 Posts

September 18th, 2022 07:00

WHEN WILL DELL INVESTIGATE ALL THESE BIOS UPDATE PROBLEMS?? 

THREE OF MY PRECISION LAPTOPS HAVE BEEN BRICKED DURING BIOS UPDATE.  Dell has done NOTHING to research this!  

DO NOT MARK THIS AS SPAM!!!  

Dell Engineering?

Dell Development?

Dell Quality Assurance?

93 Posts

September 19th, 2022 17:00

Can someone tell me…

after bios update 1.14.0 froze, I pulled power then after several days, I plugged power in and pressed power button. 
Now laptop i — keyboard backlight on, flashing 3 Amber, 6 White.  Can someone please send me a link to a description of these flashes?

Im really at a loss. This is the 3rd laptop I have bricked while applying Dell BIOS updates. I really wish Dell would investigate these many BIOS update failures. 

• 

25K Posts

September 19th, 2022 18:00

Thank you for messaging us. To ensure the privacy of your information, we recommend that you continue chatting with us through direct message. We apologize for the inconvenience.

No Events found!