Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 7th, 2022 13:00

Laptop Fan comes on for 2-3 seconds, twice, every 15 minutes

My Dell Precision M3800 laptop fan turns on for about 2-3 seconds, then off, then back on for 2-3 seconds.  This repeats every 15 minutes (exactly every 15 minutes).  And when the fan runs (loud), I can do nothing but wait because it won't accept typing, mouse moving, nothing.  Everyone in the room looks at it when this happens.

I've tried making sure all Apps are closed, so the laptop shouldn't have anything requiring a lot of power, but it still does this every 15 minutes.

This just started about a week ago, but it needs to go away.

July 22nd, 2022 08:00

I had the *exact* same problem. I uninstalled a microsoft news app that was installed as part of an OS upgrade a few weeks ago and voila! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

2 Posts

July 27th, 2022 13:00

• Uninstalled Microsoft app and took my laptop to our IT group. They reinstalled  Microsoft but the fan issue was back again. They checked with Dell for any updates and there was a BIOS update available. This BIOS update fixed the problem. 

• 

25.1K Posts

July 8th, 2022 07:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

2 Posts

July 10th, 2022 16:00

I have exactly the identical problem - can't type, use mouse, move cursor etc   and it started about the same time as yours did.  I'm hoping a response will be posted publicly so we can all find the solution!

It is so infuriating!!  Looks like it came from an update???

July 11th, 2022 12:00

Me too! EXACTLY the same problem! If you get this resolved can you please let me know?   I have Alienware 17R3

Ian

July 12th, 2022 03:00

Too weird! Fan comes on for 2-3 seconds, twice *exactly* every 15 minutes - can't type and cursor freezes. All my drivers are up to date. recent Windows 10 update might be the catalyst? Definitely a Dell issue though. One of their drivers is probably the culprit. 

July 16th, 2022 10:00

Please post the solution to this annoying problem.

1 Message

July 31st, 2022 03:00

I have exactly the same problem on two different Dell Laptops, which has only recently materialised.

Can you please advise which news app you removed.

1 Message

October 17th, 2022 07:00

Wow I can't believe this worked, this has been driving me crazy. Fan would run twice every 15 minutes, I checked the fan and it was clear...Thanks so much

1 Message

February 5th, 2023 07:00

Hello,

Please tell me which Microsoft app I should un-install. This fan problem and not usable touhpad is a big problem.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 7th, 2024 21:22

@majestic1002​ Hello,

are you able to remember the name of the application you uninstalled to fix this issue?

other posts say that Dell Support Assist Remediation Service is causing similar issues...

(edited)

No Events found!