Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2014 09:00

Anyone know how to connect C1765nfw wireless not using WPS?

Anyone know how to connect C1765nfw wireless not using WPS?

May 29th, 2014 15:00

Hi Huntsman3,

There are three ways of connecting your printer to your wireless network which are using the printer software disc and running the wireless setup utility, WPS method and Automatic/Manual setup from the printer. I have mentioned the steps below for you to setup the printer on wireless from the printer using operator panel. Try these steps which should help you have your printer on wireless and let us know if it worked alright.

Auto SSID Setup
NOTE:
A Password is required to enter Admin Menu when Panel Lock Set is set to Enable
. In this case, enter the password you specified, and press the (Set) button.
1 Press the (Menu) button.
2 Press the button until System appears, and then press the (Set) button.
3 Press the button until Admin Menu appears, and then press the (Set) button.
4 Press the button until Networkappears, and then press the (Set) button.
5 Press the button until Wireless Setup appears, and then press the (Set) button.
The printer automatically searches the access points on wireless network.
6 Press the button until the desired access point appears, and then press the (Set) button.
If the desired access point does not appear, go to "Manual SSID Setup"
NOTE: Some hidden SSID may not be displayed. If the SSID is not detected turn on SSID broadcast from the router.
7 Enter the passphrase or WEP key. When the encryption type of the selected access point is WPA, WPA2 or Mixed in step 6:
• Enter the passphrase, and then press the (Set) button.
When the encryption type of the selected access point is WEP in step 6:
• Enter the WEP key, and then press the (Set) button.
NOTE: A passphrase is an encryption key for WPA and WPA2 encryption which consists of 8 to 63 alphanumeric characters. It may be described as a key on some access points or routers. For details, refer to the manual supplied with the access point or router.
8 The Restart System screen appears and the printer is rebooted, wireless LAN connection setting is completed

Manual SSID Setup
NOTE: A Password is required to enter Admin Menu when Panel Lock Set is set to Enable. In this case, enter the password you specified, and press the (Set) button.
1 Press the (Menu) button.
2 Press the button until System appears, and then press the (Set) button.
3 Press the button until Admin Menu appears, and then press the (Set) button.
4 Press the button until Network appears, and then press the (Set) button.
5 Press the button until Wireless Setup appears, and then press the (Set) button.
6 Press the button until Manual Setup appears, and then press the (Set) button.
7 Enter the SSID, and then press the (Set) button.
8 Select the network mode from Infrastructure depending on your environment, and then press
the (Set) button.
If you select Infrastructure, proceed to step 9.
9 Select the encryption type from No Security, Mixed mode PSK, WPA-PSK-TKIP, WPA2-PSK-AES, or WEP.
If you do not set security for your wireless network:
• Press the button until No Security appears, and then press the (Set) button.
To use Mixed mode PSK, WPA-PSK-TKIP, or WPA2-PSK-AES encryption:
a Press the button until Mixed mode PSK, WPA-PSK-TKIP, or WPA2-PSK-AES appears, and then
press the (Set)button.
b Enter the passphrase, and then press the (Set) button.
10 Select the encryption type from No Security or WEP.
If you do not set security for your wireless network:
• Ensure that No Security appears, and then press the (Set) button.
11 The Restart System screen appears and the printer is rebooted, wireless LAN connection setting is completed.

15 Posts

May 30th, 2014 01:00

To get the printer working I used the Manual SSID setup method on the actual printer.

I did not want to use the installation disk because of this comment ....

"Beware of the software on the CD though. The instructions call for this to be installed and as I discovered, it is full of adware and things which are very difficult to uninstall including a cloud storage client which you don't get an option to skip. Windows 7 or 8 will just install drivers..."

I download clean up to date software/drivers from the Dell support site.

Printer is now working ok with my main windows 7 PC via wireless.

Had an odd experience with the printer and a Dell laptop using windows 8.1. The laptop saw the Dell printer on the network via wireless but had assigned an odd name to it. So I installed the software from the dell site. Unfortunately after loading the software and rebooting the laptop the laptop had no cursor so I had an awful job of removing the software without a mouse.

There is a whole section on installing Dell printers with windows 8 on the Dell site that I have not had time to study.

The Dell printer is working ok without the software using the windows 8.1 drivers I presume.  

I'm impress with this printer it seems to be built like a tank/early Volvo's.

The installation process for the average user is not plug and play and needs some improvement.

The windows 8.1 issue may be more a problem with Microsoft than Dell.

Note:- I only bought this printer because toner is available at less than £200!

May 31st, 2014 11:00

Huntsman3,

Appreciate your time investment in having this sorted out.

As you said there are few issues with Windows 8.1 compatibility and we do not have a resolution yet. Hence I kindly request you to continue using the printer the way you are using it right now. If there are any more concerns future please feel free to contact us. Thank you.

15 Posts

May 31st, 2014 13:00

For anyone reading this who cannot live with the mobile phone nonsense layout of  Windows 8.1 try http://www.classicshell.net/ and relax in the luxury of a window 7 type user interface.

Arjun,

Printer still working well from window 7 and 8.1.

It is good to have feedback from Dell.

1 Message

June 26th, 2022 13:00

Hi Arjun,

I've read your solution, and applied it to my printer but my ssid is not listed ? I can enter all the correct details and it doesnt list as a choice, other nearby ssid's do list but not specifically mine. It is on 2.4ghz, why would it not show?

Many thnaks,

Stuart

1 Message

November 13th, 2023 13:17

@DELL-Arjun BV​ Perfect instructions for Wi-Fi set up - all working great, thanks 🙏 

No Events found!