Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 15:00

Dell 964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially.net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Download and run this patch(***WARNING*** The patch for this printer alsoo removes other Dell applications, like Dell Dock, Dell QuickSet and other Dell applications)(These applications can be downloaded at Drivers & Downloads and can be reinstalled) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(A MUST on Vista Machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 15:00

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

1 Message

December 5th, 2009 09:00

Ok, I've done all the steps you've outlined above.

1.  Applied Patch

2.  Unistalled previous printers

3.  Started computer

4.  Changed setup.exe file under compatability to Vista (tried it with Serive Pack II and I)

5.  Intalled drivers

The computer recognizes that the printer is installed and when I try to run a test page I get an error message "Communication not available" 

I'm also at my wit's end....what else can I do to get the printer to work!  HELP.

Julie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 5th, 2009 10:00

Julie,

Did you try the Vista 64-bit drivers?

You'll have to start the process over again.

Make and model of your computer and operating system.

Rick

8 Posts

December 17th, 2009 19:00

I followed the instructions above and the scanner still does not work. I also do not have the Dell All in One center on my computer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 18th, 2009 03:00

hillmill1,

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

and Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

5 Posts

January 14th, 2010 07:00

Hello Rick,

I'm a german user of a Dell AIO 964 and had to install a new Driver because changing to Vista 32 bit.

So I downloaded R146718, made a setup successfull, but since this time I miss the ALL-IN-ONE CENTER, not able to scan etc.

What can I do to solve the problem?

Thanks for reply. My email is

Juergen

<ADMIN NOTE: Email Id Removed Per Privacy Policy>

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 17:00

jnellen,

The make and model of your computer and operating system would be helpful.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially.net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Download and run this patch(***WARNING*** The patch for this printer alsoo removes other Dell applications, like Dell Dock, Dell QuickSet and other Dell applications) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(A MUST on Vista Machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

5 Posts

January 17th, 2010 04:00

Hello Rick,

your recomendation to insert the printer-disk, stopp running and look for OCR an PhApps did solve my problem, because I was able to install both Abbyy Folder and all-in-one center.

Now my printer works normally and very good.

Thanks to you and regards from Germany

Juergen Nellen

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2010 08:00

Juergen,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Glad you got everything working

Pass auf dich auf (Take care),

Rick

1 Message

February 5th, 2010 10:00

We recently purchased a Sony VAIO VGN-NW laptop (w/Windows 7) and attempted to follow your instructions for connecting the 964 AIO Printer with no success.  We've used the Dell driver removal application, restarted the computer and then downloaded the Vista 64 drivers in compatibility mode.  When we are prompted to connect the 964 AIO we receive a message that the USB connection is defective.  We are not connecting to the printer although we are using the original printer cable.  Any ideas?

We appreciate your help!

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 5th, 2010 17:00

doglow,

On the Sony laptop, did you install Windows 7 or did the laptop come with Windows 7?

Rick

2 Posts

May 20th, 2010 05:00

Rick,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435, i7, 9GB running W7 and am having strange 964 AIO driver/install issues. 

I tried to run the cleanup utility but, while it appears to be running (13% CPU and 8.8MB mem allocation), nothing has happened after letting it run 20+ minutes in each of my 3-4 attempts.  I am familiar with this process, having gone through it after trying to install the printer when the machine was new (Vista x64). 

Sometimes the driver seems to "take" (can see the printer in the Devices and Printers area - I can make it a default printer, remove it manually, change default settings, see the scanner under the HW properties tab, etc.,etc.), but it just won't print. 

Other times it looks as if W7 found the device but the driver didn't install. 

Troubleshooting never produces anything meaningful. 

Scanner has worked somewhere along the way.

The only thing I can think of is that there's a PDF document in the queue that will not go away (Deleting...) after the job's been cancelled.  Is that the reason the cleanup may not be running?  Is there a way to kill the job forceably?

Versions of pertinent apps/drivers:

Cleanup - R166225.zip

Driver - R146813.zip

964 Firmware - A04

Other Items:

Printer is plugged directly into the machine's USB (not going through a hub)

Printer is not attached when trying to run cleanup or driver installers

User is very frustrated...

Thanks tons,

BZ

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 20th, 2010 16:00

BZ,

Did you reinstall the operating system lately?

Disconnecting the printer. Running the patch (R166225) to remove the printer should work by double clicking on it.

Restarting the computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Then install the Vista 64-bit drivers. (R146813) You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on). Please use a 6ft or smalled usb cable. Also trya different usb port.

Rick

June 8th, 2010 07:00

hey Rick,

thanks for all your efforts to explain the installation....

I have tried hours and hours to get my Dell 964 working on my Windows 7 64bit ... the scanner works now but the printer does not
installing the whole thing on Windows 7 32 bit was a piece of cake, really easy, that´s from where I print out now (I have to keep changing operating systems)
I do delete all the Dell Drivers manually (uninstall) and then clean with the Clean up Utility (takes a long time each time) and the driver R146813 DOES start installing after the reboot and I DO install it in compatibility mode (Vista Service pack2 or 1) but it can only install the Scanner and not the Printer (error)..... I do not see an installation error for the scanner(some driver 1.0.0.0.....is installed there) but for the printer their is NO DRIVER listed in the device manager.............also in R146813 I cannot see any driver (.inf file) except the one for the scanner in 64bit. I tried many different downloads they are all around 56MB but they behave all the same including the japanes version...

I have wasted to much time trying again and again but it´s more like a game now...
ANY IDEA WHAT ELSE I COULD DO????
BTW: I have updated the firmware for my AIO Dell 964 to the newest one I could find which is A04 or Version 2.05, driver R133178
is the firmware of any importance?
should I change again to an older firmware??

any further Ideas from anyone appreciated!!!
DON´T LET THIS BE unresolved;)
all I can think of now is to go buy a new printer with a working driver...

FELIX

June 8th, 2010 07:00

hey Rick,

thanks for all your efforts to explain the installation....

I have tried hours and hours to get my Dell 964 working on my Windows 7 64bit ... the scanner works now but the printer does not
installing the whole thing on Windows 7 32 bit was a piece of cake, really easy, that´s from where I print out now (I have to keep changing operating systems)
I do delete all the Dell Drivers manually (uninstall) and then clean with the Clean up Utility (takes a long time each time) and the driver R146813 DOES start installing after the reboot and I DO install it in compatibility mode (Vista Service pack2 or 1) but it can only install the Scanner and not the Printer (error)..... I do not see an installation error for the scanner(some driver 1.0.0.0.....is installed there) but for the printer their is NO DRIVER listed in the device manager.............also in R146813 I cannot see any driver (.inf file) except the one for the scanner in 64bit. I tried many different downloads they are all around 56MB but they behave all the same including the japanes version...

I have wasted to much time trying again and again but it´s more like a game now...
ANY IDEA WHAT ELSE I COULD DO????
BTW: I have updated the firmware for my AIO Dell 964 to the newest one I could find which is A04 or Version 2.05, driver R133178
is the firmware of any importance?
should I change again to an older firmware??

any further Ideas from anyone appreciated!!!
DON´T LET THIS BE unresolved;)
all I can think of now is to go buy a new printer with a working driver...

FELIX

No Events found!