Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 20:00

Dell A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instruction below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch (***WARNING*** The patch for this printer also removes other Dell applications, like Dell Dock, Dell QuickSet and other Dell applications)(These applications can be downloaded at Drivers & Downloads and can be reinstalled) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(A MUST on Vista Machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 20:00

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 1 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 1 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

color cartridge = color side(left side)          black cartridge = black side(right side)

photo cartridge = color side(left side)          black cartridge = black side(right side)

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

If these are Dell Series 1 ink cartridges, then take them back to the place of purchase for a replacement or refund.

Rick

3 Posts

December 14th, 2009 13:00

Thanks for your reply to try to help me  YES it did work, although I downloaded every driver for my printer shown on the download page I followed yor instructions and everything is working fine

Once again many thanks I have my trusty old printer back

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2009 15:00

Barney60,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Glad you got your printer working with Windows 7.

Take care,

Rick

December 15th, 2009 17:00

I am sharing my A920 off of a windows XP desktop. I have several XP laptops that work fine with this setup, but I also have a Windows 7 laptop that for the life of me i cant get working. Can you please help?

Thanks

smartass505

2 Posts

December 15th, 2009 18:00

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this info. I still have an issue with A920 on 64-bit Windows 7. Printing and copying(!) functions are working fine but when it comes to scanning it has a problem. Although windows recognize the scanner and diagnosis test result is OK, neither Photoshop CS4 have it as an import device,nor it appear in Dell All-In-One Center. only when I press preview or scan in WIA menu or control panel > printers > Dell A920 AIO printer > scan a page,  the scanner makes an ongoing strange sound (like a mechanical blockage) which goes on and on and I only have to unplug the printer to shut it off.

Strange thing is that the printer works fine on my other XP SP2 machine! so it's not a hardware issue I assume.

I have tried all the steps you mentioned above, downloaded a fresh copy of 64bit Vista driver and ran it in Vista SP2 compatibility mode...but no luck.

I appreciate if anyone could suggest a solution.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 16th, 2009 02:00

AmiraliS,

You said...

the scanner makes an ongoing strange sound (like a mechanical blockage) which goes on and on and I only have to unplug the printer to shut it off.

That sound you're hearing did not come from your computer but the printer itself. It sounds like the scanner unit is making that noise. Can you copy a document when you put it under the glass? B&W and color?

Make and model of the problem machine and please mention that it has Windows 7 64-bit.

Did you try the XP drivers and try to install them in the compatibility mode for XP?

Rick

4 Posts

January 9th, 2010 19:00

If I've come to the wrong place, my apologies. Please direct me to the correct place to solve my problem.

My windows 7 is fully updated. I've installed my A920 printer as directed for Windows 7 at Dell's site (using Vista 32 SP2 compatibility mode, and "run as administrator"). The scanner portion did not install. I recieved an "access is denied" during the intstallation and an "unknown device" shows up in Device Manager that goes away when I disconnect the printer. I presume that's the scanner (?). When I try to reinstall the driver for the "unknown device" Windows 7 finds and downloads and  begins installing a driver, and then says "access is denied" again, even if I run device manager "as administrator". The printer part of the A920 works fine, but the scanner part is critical to my use of it, including the OCR application. That does not work. The "All-In-One-Center" omits any mention of scanning. Can you help me?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 9th, 2010 20:00

whymyersjr,

Did you disconnect the printer, run the patch until it prompted you to restart your computer, then restart your computer. Make sure the drivers are gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

The try installing the printer in the compatibility mode. The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package. The OCR Program needs to be installed from the printer disk.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

If you cannot find the OCR Program, then you can try using Simple OCR it should work nicely with your printer.

Rick

4 Posts

January 10th, 2010 13:00

Thanks very much for your help.

The OCR software installed fine from Dell's A920 CD., but that didin't do anything about the scanner installaton.

So I went to device manager and tried to install the scanner driver on the CD with the same result as before: The installation runs for a bit and then it says Access denied

Re: "Did you disconnect...": Yes. And I did it twice to be sure.

Any more ideas  about getting the scanner  driver installeld?

Thanks again for your rhelp.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2010 16:00

whmyersjr,

Suggestions are check firewalls and virus programs as they can cause problems with commpunications. Also make sure to check to see if  Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support

Rick

4 Posts

January 12th, 2010 04:00

I'm using TrendMicro's Internet Security 2010, and it reports nothing that would seem  to be a problem in this regard. Is there anything specific I should look for there?

I also tried reinstalling the scanner driver with the firewall turned off. "Access is denied" again.

Bidirectional support is enabled, per your procedure.

The printer works- I installed it on a friend's VIsta SP2 machine and it works fine, including scanning.

I'm hoping you might have another idea to try to get the scanner working on my W7 machine.

Is there any way you know of that would tell me where the "Access is denied" occurs? Perhaps I could change the access on the folder(s). I've looked through the event viewer and didn't find anything I could recognize as being associated. Perhaps that event isn't being logged. Perhaps I just don't know what to look for there. Perhaps more likely it's a stupid idea.

Thanks very much for your kind help. Your patience with me is appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2010 11:00

whmyersjr,

I don't know exactly where to find it but THIS THREAD might help you. Problem is with Trend Micro's Firewall.

Rick

4 Posts

January 12th, 2010 14:00

Rick,

I want to thank you for your  time and effort on my behalf.

I'd just like to point out one small thing: in the thread you set me to above, the problem went away when he turned off his TrendMicro firewall. In my imediately previous reply (2nd sentence) I say that I turned off the firewall but the problem peristed with the firewall off. Maybe indeed I'm missing something, but I'd guess that would tend to take suspicon away from the firewall.

Anyway, thanks for your time and patience.

Wade

9 Posts

February 6th, 2010 15:00

This printer doesn't work with my new Studio XPS following all the steps outlined in this thread either.  Does any printer work with a Studio XPS 8000 Windows 7 computer????

7 Posts

March 4th, 2010 09:00

I have gone through the entire post here and have tried about every option at least once.  I still am unable to get the printer to be recognized by my system.  It will install using the Vista 64bit software, but since the printer is connected to another computer in my network, it wont comunicate with it. 

What I am wondering is if there is a way to only install the driver, without the 'All In One Center'. 

I dont need to have the scanning, copying, etc stuff on this computer.  I do all of that kind of stuff with the computer that the printer is connected to.  All I need to do with my windows 7 machine is "print", nothing else.

The other computers on my network are all XP, including the one the printer is actually connected to.

Walter

No Events found!