Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2015 02:00

Photo 924 connect to HP laptop running Windows 10

Hello,

I have a 2006 vintage Dell Photo 924 all-in-one printer.

It's in A1 working order, and rather than add it to landfill, would like to connect it to my laptop, which is running Windows 10.

Have downloaded a 924 printer driver from the Dell download centre (it appears on my C:drive) and run the setup exe.

But a lack of set-up skills and general computer knowledge has me stalled at this point.

Can anyone help a ham-fisted battler with non-jargon style advice?

Thank you.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 15:00

W111James,

Jesse is right, from the Announcement at the top of the page, Windows 10 Compatibility with Dell Printers

Dell suggests...

Installing Older Windows Printer Drivers in Windows 10

Try this procedure and see if the printer installs.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode you’ll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Dell 924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

5 Posts

June 16th, 2016 12:00

Hi Rick

Just to tell the community that I had exactly the same issue (Migration to Win10 from Win8.1 and an AIO 924 not working) and following your steps it is now working ok.

I have summarized several posts and if you don't mind, I'd like to post it here

1. Disconnect the printer (USB cable)

2. Deinstall the Dell AIO software (control panel / programs and charact...) and reboot.

3. Deinstall the printer (control panel / devices and printers) and reboot.

4. Download the drivers from dell site, drivers for AIO 924 for Windows Vista 64

5. Execute the drivers file (this uncompresses the files in this folder C:\Drivers\printer\924 and launches install)

6. Stop the instalation when it begins

7. Go to folder C:\Drivers\printer\924 and search for *.exe. There will be 8 elements

8. Go to each element and mark compatibility to Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) and also the "run as administrator" check

9. Setup.exe and reconnect the printer when asked for

Reboot again and everything is working again. Printer and scanner.

Just a big thank you to you! thanks to you I don't need to throw a working printer and buy a new one, or get back to Win8.1

THANKS!

/Ciro

• 

16.7K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 12:00

W111James,

Unfortunately, there are no Windows 10 drivers available for this printer.

1 Message

January 10th, 2016 14:00

Thanks Rick, This worked for me.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 11th, 2016 09:00

tcondon,

Glad you got it working! Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

March 18th, 2016 06:00

Hi Rick,

I have the same problem as James and tried to follow your instructions but the downloads are only for fax, wireless option (which is not mine) and clean up utility. 

How can I do to make it work in W10?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2016 12:00

krys93,

Replied to your first post HERE.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2016 14:00

Ciro,

Take care,

Rick

February 22nd, 2017 04:00

This worked for me.. was able to print on windows 10. But then after power off it loses it all again and I have to go through the process again. Any ideas how to make this permanent?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 12:00

TheStinkyHippy,

I'm guessing that the usb ports are being turned off to save power. Try this...

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

May 1st, 2017 12:00

Your idea worked for me as well!!  My computer guru did the steps and I have my printer working thanks to you!!!  He said that mine was the first that Win 10 accepted!

May 1st, 2017 12:00

Used the suggested route and my computer guru was able to get my computer to recognize and use my wonderful old printer!!  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 14:00

beckyandkiller,

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

January 20th, 2018 08:00

Great Job  - Thank you. Printer works now. :BigSmile:

1 Message

July 9th, 2019 05:00

Hi Rick,

I have the same problem as James and tried to follow your instructions but the downloads are only for fax, wireless option (which is not mine) and clean up utility. 

How can I do to make it work in W10? I'm a teacher and our school received new laptops with Windows 10 and now I can't connect to my printer.

Thanks!

Stacey

No Events found!