Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2016 07:00

Printer A10 964 connecting to windows 10

I have a 10 year old Dell printer A10 964, which still works very well. However I have just upgraded my old Dell desktop which was running Vista to a new Dell Inspiron Desktop. I connected my printer using a USB connection hoping it will work. However when you try and print it says that "Printer not recognised". I have loaded the driver off a disk which I still had and with various fiddles, I have managed to get printing to work from Office applications and Adobe PDF files. However I cannot print anything from a web browser as it will not recognise the printer.

Should I give up and buy a new printer as it is so old, or does anyone have any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2016 11:00

Seamaster925,

From the Announcement at the top of the page, Windows 10 Compatibility with Dell Printers

Dell suggests...

Installing Older Windows Printer Drivers in Windows 10

Try this procedure and see if the printer installs.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode you’ll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Dell 964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

No Events found!