Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2015 13:00

Backup and Recovery causing applications using Qt5 DLLs to crash

I'm a software engineer at Tableau Software and we've discovered a bug in Dell's Backup and Recovery software that is causing any 64-bit application which uses the Qt5 core DLLs to crash whenever a Save or Open file dialogue is opened. We have been able to reproduce this behavior with an extremely simple application using just QT code:

#include
#include

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

QApplication a(argc, argv);
QFileDialog::getSaveFileName();

return 0;

}

This app was built in Qt Creator with the standard Qt 5.4.1 SDK for 64-bit MSVC2013.

To work around this problem we are having to instruct our customers to completely remove the Backup and Recovery software from their workstation.
I have been unable to identify a good way to report this bug to Dell outside of this forum. Could someone point me in the right direction?

1 Message

December 13th, 2016 02:00

We had the same problem in our application and realized that only version 1.8.1.71 is concerned and it sometimes come pre-installed on some PCs.

Version 1.7.5.64 did not use Qt yet and in version 1.9.2.8, they removed the dependency in the shell overlay DLLs.

So upgrading DBaR is enough to workaround the issue.

1 Message

July 27th, 2015 17:00

Magix Movie Edit Pro 2015 video editor (64-bit) crashed on Save or Open dialogue, I had to uninstall Dell Backup and Recovery to resolve.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 05:00

We are software developers too.  Our program has same issue on several new laptops.

Reported it to DELL today via  telephone to the pro-support team.

A search of the internet reveals other programs that have same problem.

http://forum.teamspeak.com/archive/index.php?t-102102.html

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/992-cant-opensave-plans-in-2016/

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=4825.0

August 9th, 2015 18:00

Thank you, EFSGRAHAM, for reporting this to Dell! It is very much appreciated as I'm having issues regarding this, it seems several others are, as well!

I hope you were successful in getting the Dell team to 'hear' you regarding this issue!

All the best to you!

August 9th, 2015 18:00

This is a big "thank you", PT_TABLEAU, for posting this.

I've been having issues with my Dell desktop Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit ... and the Dell Backup and Recovery application. Specifically had error codes pop up RE the Qt5 Core DLL after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro (upgrade done yesterday via IS0 file). This is a new computer purchased end of July 2015. It arrived with Dell Backup and Recovery version 1.7, which I finally updated to version 1.8. More stuff been going on that is pertinent to the issue, but will try to keep this short.

Sure hope Dell pays attention to your findings and addresses. And, I hope the poor Dell Customer Service Reps are informed about this ... it's miserable for everyone when the people who are supposed assist with various technical issues are not informed ... which leaves 'everyone' vulnerable to unresolved issues and/or escalating problems. Not fun!!!

Good luck to you in your communication with Dell ... and to all who are having issues due to this!

1 Message

September 13th, 2015 20:00

Dear Dell,

My name is Frank DeLise, senior director at Autodesk. Several of our tools use QT and this issue is affecting many of our customers, causing product crashes. Please let us know when this issue is resolved so we can alert our customers

Frank DeLise

Autodesk

1 Message

September 20th, 2015 11:00

Our product PortraitPro has had sporadic complaints from customers that it would crash when the file dialog was opened, yet we had never been able to reproduce the problem.  Many thanks PT_TABLEAU for providing the answer!

The only solution we had been able to give our customers up until now was to suggest they use the 32-bit version of the software that does not have this problem.

I would also urge Dell to fix this problem urgently, since our support staff will now be told to suggest to customers with this problem that they uninstall Dell's Backup and Recovery software.

It is possible to fix this problem by just unregistering the shell extensions that cause it.  This can be done by running the following commands as administrator:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\Shell\DBROverlayIconBackuped.dll"
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\Shell\DBROverlayIconNotBackuped.dll"
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\Shell\DBRShellExtension.dll"

Qt seems to know about this problem, but say that the solution is not under their control:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-41416

However, the problem is caused because these shell extensions are also using Qt5.  It should perhaps be made more clear that developing shell extensions using Qt is not a good idea, unless Qt is configured using the -qtnamespace as described in one of the answers to that bug report.

October 29th, 2015 16:00

Dear Dell support,

I am the principal developer of the PixInsight image processing platform and CEO of Pleiades Astrophoto, a Spanish software development company. Our main application uses Qt 5, and many of our users working on Dell workstations and laptops are being severely affected by this problem. Please inform us when you have a solution to this issue.

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Development Team

1 Message

November 30th, 2015 08:00

I'm a lead software developer at Keysight Technologies and we have a couple of our customers who have hit this issues has well.   Please inform us when you have a solution to this issue.  

As it stands, we instructing our customers to uninstall this software and to contact Dell and to provide a newer version of this software that will not cause this issue.

December 10th, 2015 14:00

We are also recommending all our users uninstall Dell's utilities, given that Dell is not resolving this issue. Unpresentable to say the least.

1 Message

January 29th, 2016 11:00

This is causing problems with Wireshark as well. Until the issue is fixed or we can find a workaround we'll have to recommend that people uninstall DBAR.

1 Message

May 20th, 2016 11:00

We are also seeing this issue with our main software. We are advising our customers to disable the shell extensions/overlays or simply remove the Dell Backup and Recovery Software. 

Why has Dell not addressed this issue? Not even a "thanks for letting us know, we are working on it.".....

Oh, yeah, its because it is Dell. 

1 Message

June 4th, 2016 02:00

We provide a team of professionals for computer setup/Repair, technical support services, online computer & remote help desk support to interact with your clients.Our technical support services is very useful for your business and you get many more help which is related to your support system. You need any help regarding your desktop services then contact me at Myisland Worker .

1 Message

December 12th, 2016 23:00

We have the same issue for GNS3 users. We need to ask them to uninstall Dell's Backup and Recovery

No Events found!