Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2022 01:00

Dell Command Update 4.6.0 - dcu-cli auto update config scripts not working

Hi, I am having trouble configuring auto-updates by script since upgrading to 4.6.0. I am using the normal installer rather than the universal app.

I spent a while getting 4.5.0 configured using the reference guide as no matter what I did, the "-scheduleWeekly=Fri,16:15" command would fail so I ended up using "-scheduleAuto".

Now that 4.6.0 is released, I can't seem to get my configs to apply at all, the PS script runs but the program settings are not updated and show they are set to notify only.

Has anyone else had issues or have tips on how to get this to work? I have searched but can't find others with the same issue. Thanks

I am running:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -scheduleAuto -autoSuspendBitLocker=enable -lockSettings=enable -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify -outputLog="C:\Temp\DellCommandScanOutput.log" -systemRestartDeferral=enable -deferralRestartInterval=1 -deferralRestartCount=2 -userConsent=disable -updatesNotification=enable -scheduledReboot=60

2 Posts

September 12th, 2022 21:00

Hi, AKUK.

I had the same symptoms.
As a solution,
I had to run "-scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify" first.

------------------

example

1st

~ /configure -scheduleAuto -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify

2nd

~ /configure -installationDeferral=enable -deferralInstallInterval=1 -deferralInstallCount=2 -systemRestartDeferral=enable -deferralRestartInterval=1 -deferralRestartCount=2

------------------

Also, the "-scheduledReboot" option was not available. Default is 5 minutes.

11 Posts

September 13th, 2022 01:00

Thanks for the tip, will give that a shot today Hopefully Dell can either fix the program or update their reference guide as this has been a nightmare.

September 13th, 2022 02:00

Yeah, having the same issue. They managed to mess the one thing that was working all these years...  They don't test new releases at all it seems, and they don't even bother to update the reference guides properly...

So, the only solution for now is to run two scripts instead of one.. Great stuff DELL

I tried to dig in bit more and according to the logs, the error is Invalid schedule action,  while using -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify first. I tried to change it to ScanDownloadApplyNotify, which I got from exported settings, just to see if they completely changed the tags without updating the reference guide, but that didnt help either.

But I can also confirm @Cryshii solution works.

11 Posts

Infuriating that they introduced the issue as this is one of the most important features for deployment at scale but you don't need two scripts. I just added an extra line to my existing script so that it configures the app twice in a row.

11 Posts

Worked perfectly! I amended my script to configure the program twice and the settings now apear. Thanks again

11 Posts

September 13th, 2022 03:00

I'm not sure how to report it. I posted about this on reddit in the sysadmin sub when 4.6.0 was released but only had one reply. The chocolatey page for the app has no info in the comments, glad I posted on here but wasn't holding out hope.

September 13th, 2022 03:00

Ah ok you're right, just making it as extra line does indeed work. Thanks.

I just hope someone from the dev team sees this. Is there a way to contact responsible guys somehow? I don't have direct DELL contact sadly...

18 Posts

December 21st, 2022 14:00

is this still an issue with v4.7?

2 Posts

December 21st, 2022 20:00

I checked, but
Same for v4.7.1.

18 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 01:00

February 7th, 2023 05:00

Ive checked again and since the 4.7 and complete move to the UWP platform, the config no longer needs to be applied twice. For me it works correctly now. Just don't forget to change from Program Files (x86) to just "Program Files", since DCU-CLI is now there.

If someone still has issues here, add the -"outputLog" in there and check for errors.

This is what I'm using:

"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -silent -autoSuspendBitLocker=enable -userConsent=disable -biosPassword="XXXXX" -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify -scheduleMonthly=second,Wed,11:30 -systemRestartDeferral=enable -deferralRestartInterval=1 -deferralRestartCount=1 -outputLog=C:\dell\logs\config.log

I will re-test a bit more, install on new clean machines might be more problematic...

11 Posts

February 9th, 2023 08:00

I just installed 4.8.0 and tried to run the configure command as a single line and it did not configure auto-update, I then ran the two liner that I used for other versions and it worked so something isn't quite right.

Line that failed:

'C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe' /configure -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify -scheduleAuto -autoSuspendBitLocker=enable -lockSettings=enable -installationDeferral=enable -deferralInstallInterval=1 -deferralInstallCount=2 -systemRestartDeferral=enable -deferralRestartInterval=1 -deferralRestartCount=2 -userConsent=disable -updatesNotification=enable -outputLog="C:\Dell\DellCommandScanOutput.log"

Lines that worked:

'C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe' /configure -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify
'C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe' /configure -scheduleAuto -autoSuspendBitLocker=enable -lockSettings=enable -installationDeferral=enable -deferralInstallInterval=1 -deferralInstallCount=2 -systemRestartDeferral=enable -deferralRestartInterval=1 -deferralRestartCount=2 -userConsent=disable -updatesNotification=enable -outputLog="C:\Dell\DellCommandScanOutput.log"

February 10th, 2023 01:00

Yeah youre right, 4.8. is broken again. 4.7.1 did work tho. Nice one DELL...

No Events found!