Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

August 8th, 2022 12:00

PowerEdge R630 BIOS Downgrade

We're attempting to downgrade BIOS on PowerEdge R630 to 1.5.4 due to conflict/known issue with PRI card (Sangoma model A102).  (Note that we successfully downgraded a PowerEdge R730 from 2.13 to 1.5.4 using the ".efi" file process - F11 Boot Manager => System Utilities => BIOS Update File Explorer). 

When trying to do the same on R630, the update utility displays the current version (2.0.1) and the new version (1.5.4). I click on the "Continue BIOS Update" and get the following error:

"BIOS Update Failed ......... This BIOS is not a compatible BIOS type."

I was able to downgrade the R630 to 2.0.1 but any attempts to go below 2.x.x fail with the error above.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I am new to the Dell server arena, so please feel free to respond accordingly.

• 

3.3K Posts

August 8th, 2022 13:00

Hello nrweaver,

What is the iDRAC/LCC firmware version on the R730 and R630?

Can you try using the windows .exe file in the iDRAC to apply BIOS v.1.5.4?

File Format: Update Package for MS Windows 32-Bit

File Name: BIOS_1RMMP_WN32_1.5.4.EXE

https://dell.to/3dgn5On

• 

8.4K Posts

August 16th, 2022 12:00

nrweaver,

I would need to research the issue further, but I believe the issue is attributed to the iDrac being at current, and when you revert the BIOS that far back you are getting it too far from the iDrac. Have you tried backflashing the idrac a version and see if it allows you to proceed with the BIOS update? You may need to walk it back to a like time version of when 1.5.4 was released. Now none of this is suggested as it can cause issues, as the updates are geared to minimize problems, and reverting them back leaves it exposed to those issues.

3 Posts

Thanks for your response and sorry for my delay ...

The iDRAC/LCC Firmware version on the R630 is 2.83.83.83 (Build 5)/2.83.83.83 (Build 13).

We loaded Windows on the server to execute from the Host OS, but the update fails about a minute and a half into the process.

The Lifecycle Log states (SUP0517) Unable to update the Dell Server System BIOS firmware to version 1.5.4 because the operation is not supported or the device is in a locked state. 

I have been unable to find any info on this...

Thoughts?

3 Posts

I will see if that will help.

Yes, we understand the concern of going backwards but the original issue is due to conflict/known issue with PRI card (Sangoma model A102) with BIOS greater than 1.5.4.

No Events found!