Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2022 13:00

R730xd lifecycle controller reboot loop

Hi community,

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this question.

I was trying to do BIOS , firmware updates on the R730xd server. 

I decided to start with updating the IDRAC  - did not work by going to IDRAC settings and Updated and Rollback

Decided to go and change next boot to Lifecycle controller manager and now the server is in a loop

any suggestions would be much appreciated

• 

3.7K Posts

September 18th, 2022 17:00

Hi, I believe it's so much better for us to see if you could see the screenshots or error messages. I would also try cold power drain. (Shut down the machine, turn off the PSU and disconnect the mains cable, wait for about 5 mins to turn it back on)

5 Posts

September 27th, 2022 07:00

Hi Dell-YoungE - thank you so much for your reply - I meant to respond last week but the week.  I was remotely managing the server using the iDRAC interface - iDRAC 8 so i initiated a shutdown to the server and left it for ~ 20 mins.. upon powering up i was able to Boot into the BIOS and then go here to cancel the boot loop

iDRAC Settings -- Lifecycle Controller -- Cancel Lifecycle Controller Actions -- Yes 

The root cause of this issue is the automatic updates from downloads.dell.com via https was not working.  I had to download the latest idrac + lifecycle controller file (which had an .exe extension) and upload it via the IDRAC interface to install the update. I couldn't find any specific Dell article saying that the .exe file could be used for updating the iDRAC.. i was expecting to find an ISO.. Anyways all is good now!

No Events found!