Rack Servers

Last reply by 12-07-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

R740XD latch

Latch on my R740XD sticking out about quarter of an inch even when the lid is closed all the way. Same problem when the cover is completely removed from the server, so something is wrong with the latch itself. As a result it's always on the way when pulling the server (or the server above) out of the rack or pushing it back. Any idea how to fix it? Can just the latch be replaced or I have to replace the whole cover? If someone could help me find part numbers, that would be great.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Hello barmalej1,

It looks like the lever is warped somehow and the ring is broken off the end. You can see it in Young's picture.

Part#1GPKG is a Spare Part number we use in Service Repair Part numbers. You won't find it on the Dell website.

Please call into Sales and ask for the Spare Parts department and they should be able to quote you for the lid.

Dell -Charles R
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

View solution in original post

Replies (15)

Hi @barmalej1,

Could you please upload the pictures of the latch protruding away from the server for us to check and suggest the next step.

DELL-Dheeraj K
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi @Dell-Dheeraj. As you can see the server is completely closed, but the latch would not go all the way in. The latch would not close even if I remove the cover from the server

Hello, do you have a pic? We would love to see exactly what is wrong- whether it's the rack rails or the chassis.

DELL-Young E
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Strange, I attached pics in my last reply:

20221126_234419.jpg20221126_234414.jpg

Hello, could you properly seat the riser or the mainboard first and try to close the lid?

DELL-Young E
#IWork4Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

All risers are sitting properly. The latch won't even close if the lid is completely removed from the chassis

The part you are looking for might be the attached . However, I am not certain if that is actually going to help. And for what I know there’s none for chassis.

1GPKG

ASSY,CVR,TOP,MET,R740/XD

Mechanical, Cover, Top, ASSY

Mechanical, Cover, Top, ASSY

ASSY Cover, Top, Metal, R740/XD

DELL-Young E
#IWork4Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Where can I get the part? I can't seem to find it anywhere

Hello as I have no information as to your location, would you be able to get in touch with the local Dell part sales?  https://dell.to/3VotYy9

DELL-Young E
#IWork4Dell

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor