Storage, Drives & Media

2 Bronze

CD/DVD writer, Code 19 error in Windows 8

Hi so I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and low and behold my DVD rom stopped working. I had a Microsoft representative try to fix the problem for over an hour and a half for him only to tell me that Dell needs to upgrade their driver and basically I am <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>. Any one else have any other ideas on how to get it to work? (PS - Microsoft's "Fixit" program does not work and the latest drivers that I found for the device were from 2011 and non-functional)

-Dave

Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Did you try deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry manually? That's the next thing I would do. I know Fix-it doesn't work for Windows 8, but the manual registry edit might.

Or try this.

Obviously, you could Google "DVD drive code 19 error Windows 8", and try the various suggestions. But as I said, Dell has no device drivers for any optical drive. They come from Microsoft. So there are no updated drivers to try. And anyone who works with computers should know this.

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
2 Bronze

Hi, I used your 'try this' link and found a simple solution. I'd used Window's 8 Add/Delete programs to repair iTunes, and then did a reboot. iTunes has been known to mess with the registry and create this problem. And sure enough, that did the trick. After trying a few things this solution couldn't have been easier.

Replies (15)
4 Ruthenium

Hi Dave,

It can be upsetting when the CD/DVD drive fails to work after upgrading to Windows 8 and appreciate your efforts to resolve the issue. To assist you further, I need additional information:

1. The system model (E.g. XPS 8500):
2. Any error message received while trying to use the drive:

Please reply to this post with the requested information.

2 Bronze

So I have a Dell 1545. The device is a TSST corp DVD+-RW TS-L633C drive. The following is a message that pops up on my CD/DVD ROM: 

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

8 Krypton

Hi Podgi237,

That Microsoft representative needs refresher training. All optical drives use the same generic driver in Windows 8. Dell does not provide them.

The Fix-it utility does not work, but I recently helped someone with this same problem. Here's what I suggest. Open device manager from control panel, expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives, right click the device and select uninstall, then reboot.

2 Bronze

Already tried that and it didn't work. Tried it again just to be safe with same result... =/

8 Krypton

Ok, please try this.

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. To do this, start by typing CMD on the metro screen. When the icon appears, right click and select Run as administrator.

2. Type or copy/paste the following, then enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

2 Bronze

Already tried that. Did it again just for kicks but that didn't work either...

8 Krypton

Did you try deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry manually? That's the next thing I would do. I know Fix-it doesn't work for Windows 8, but the manual registry edit might.

Or try this.

Obviously, you could Google "DVD drive code 19 error Windows 8", and try the various suggestions. But as I said, Dell has no device drivers for any optical drive. They come from Microsoft. So there are no updated drivers to try. And anyone who works with computers should know this.

2 Bronze

"Did you try deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry manually? That's the next thing I would do. I know Fix-it doesn't work for Windows 8, but the manual registry edit might."

I have not done this. How would I go about doing it??

thanks!

-Dave

8 Krypton

Hi Dave,

Did you try the verified solution? That's where you should start.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions