Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2009 13:00

Choppy BLU RAY Playback - Dell Studio 1557

Hi,

I have a week old new Studio 15, with a ca10n hl-dt-st Blu Ray Drive, 512mb ati 4570 and the new i7 processor, win7 64

Sat down to watch my first Blu Ray in Power DVD 8.x BD, REALLY DISAPPOINTED.  Every minute the laptop accesses the drive and the playback ends up being really choppy, then settles down, until the next time..

Expected better for a £1000 laptop, $1600

Can anyone help please. Even as I write the PC is hell bent on accessing the drive, every minute, even though I dont have PowerDVD on

Thanks

M

9 Posts

November 11th, 2009 00:00

I have exactly the same problem with the same spec laptop.

I called Dell Tech support and they sent out an engineer to replace the Blu Ray drive but it still happens with the new drive.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has a solution for this.

9 Posts

November 11th, 2009 01:00

yeah it spins up, then spins down again. It does this with DVDs too.

It also seems to do this as windows is starting up.

Maybe we'll solve this together!

If you have the BD in the drive , w/o PowerDVD running, does the PC try and access the disk every minute or so?

9 Posts

I actually have a full version of PowerDVD 9 and it still happens with that.

The full version of PowerDVD 9 is far superior than the PowerDVD DX supplied by Dell though. The Dell supplied one was incredibly slow and unresponsive.

I have emailed Tech Support, interesting for you that the problem hasnt gone away with a new drive..

I don't know if it would be solved using the full version of PowerDVD 9, as opposed to this weired version 8 supplied by Dell?

9 Posts

November 11th, 2009 06:00

I think the core issue is the fact that it keeps spinning up and spinning down without PowerDVD open.

It probably just continues this behavior when playing a movie causing PowerDVD to temporarily lose control of the drive.

November 11th, 2009 06:00

arcsoft total media 3 blu ray software does exactly the same, so its not a PowerDVD / software issue.

November 11th, 2009 07:00

I have emailed Dell Tech Support:

So Far they have advisied I update the Bios, I already have the latest version, and they said reinstall PowerDVD...

so, I have now emailed them the link of this thread. We will get this sorted! Are all of you in the UK?

:-(

9 Posts

November 11th, 2009 08:00

I'm in the UK and have also emailed the link to this thread to Dell tech support.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 11th, 2009 09:00

Back in the old IDE days, this behavior was due to a DVD drive running in PIO mode, but in the SATA world, that should not happen.

November 11th, 2009 09:00

it bugs me because you get 1 minutes worth of wonderful Bluray, then its ruined, so you know this laptop CAN be good, but at the moment, its flawed

I was on the phone via remote connection to the laptop to Dell TS, no use at all, they dont know either

November 11th, 2009 11:00

Yes I am also in the UK

Along the lines of what psprey has wrote i have being lookind into PIO and UDA today. Im pretty sure it maybe something to do with this. My drive was running in UDA 6 mode and i changed this to PIO. I found that after that there was still some choppyness but not to the severity it was before. It was still anoying and no where near to perfect but I think i could be on to something (even though Osprey beat me to it on this post) lol.

November 11th, 2009 11:00

hiya, whwre do you go to amend this setting in win 7?

November 11th, 2009 12:00

I did this by accesing the device manager through the control panel. under the tab on the left hand side saying IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers select ATA channel 1 and click the advanced settings tab. this should sata ATAPI cdrom in the devices list and simply uncheck the box that says enable DMA

November 12th, 2009 03:00

well to add insult to injury, the laptops now going back for 5-7 days as I now get a blank screen and 4 beeps on powerup...

great, £1000 one week old laptop, rubbish blue ray, wish I'd stuck with Acer

No Events found!