Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 17th, 2009 11:00

Error Code 0F00:136C

After normal shutdown on Friday night, I tried to start up my Inspiron 6000 on Saturday morning and it couldn't proceed past the POST. Just continued looping back to the initial system startup. Ran diagnostics and it gave me the 0F00:136C error code. Based on previous postings in this forum by Brad L last year, I've removed the hard drive and replaced it with a old drive that I had cloned the current one from last year. Start up proceeded normally into Windows XP, albeit with last year's status and data. I placed the faulty drive into an ATA drive enclosure and connected via USB to the laptop. I was able to access all of my data and have successfully copied everything critical from the drive. Question is what to do next. Google search results on this error seems to say that the problem is a corrupt Master Boot Record. Is this something repairable without destroying the contents of the drive? Any help would be appreciated.

Earl B

14.4K Posts

May 17th, 2009 12:00

Have you been making regular backups? You should then be able to bring the old drive up to date by doing a restore.  As far as the orginal drive since you can access all the data I would make a comple back up of it and then reformat it. Be aware that if this is the orginal drive it may be the first signs that the drive is starting to fail and it may or may not be worth keeping. 

No Events found!