Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2007 12:00

Maxtor CD-RW/DVD not reading properly

I've updated my Dell Dim 3000 with a Asus P4S800D-X motherboard and a 7600 NVidia
graphics card.  Everything was running smoothly but now out of nowhere my Maxtor
6Y080L0 cd-rw/dvd drive won't do backup cd's or read dvd's.

I haven't been able to find any driver updates.  I have the one from 2001.  If I do ever find
a driver update for this drive will there be a problem installing it since I have a new motherboard/graphics card?

I've checked through all the troubleshoot steps pretty much and still have the problem.
The system says it is working properly.  No conflicts are shown.

Any help would be appreciated.  While the core of my machine has changed the drives, monitor etc are still Dell.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 6th, 2007 12:00

Maxtor is the manufacturer of your hard drive. The driver for your drive (or drives) is generic to XP. So you need to provide some information:
1. What is the drive or drives you have?
2. Did you install chipset drivers for your new mobo?
3. What program are you using to back up CD and DVD discs?

38 Posts

June 6th, 2007 13:00

Thank you Osprey4...

I have the same two drives that came with the Dell 3000.  Maxtor 48x CD-ROM and
48x CD-RW/DVD combo.

I'm not sure about the chipset drivers.  I didn't install the motherboard/graphics card
etc and don't know where to look to find what chipset I currently have.  Can't find the
data under system information.  I could contact the relative that installed the motherboard.

I've tried several programs to write the cd's.  The regular MS one.  Deepburner.  CD write program.  All of them gather the files/data and then when they prepare to actually place them on the cd the drive just spins and spins with the green light on.  After a few minutes I get the message that the work could not be completed.  Drive error.

38 Posts

June 6th, 2007 14:00

The manual for the MB says the chipset is SIS 655FX  SIS 964

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 6th, 2007 18:00

Would you try to look up the model numbers of your CD drives in device manager? Maxtor is not a manufacturer of CD drives, so that's not quite what I need.

38 Posts

June 7th, 2007 15:00

Again...thank you for your kindness and time.  Here is the drive data.

HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4482

Samsung CD-ROM SC-148A

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 7th, 2007 23:00

Check the drive properties of your CD-RW/DVD combo drive and let me know if you see a recording tab.

38 Posts

June 8th, 2007 00:00

Nothing about a 'recording tab' is listed.  Just...

General...Properties...DVD region...Vol...Driver...Details...

Looked thoroughly under each tab

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 8th, 2007 10:00

Ok, let me suggest you start with this article.

38 Posts

June 8th, 2007 18:00

Thanks again.  Looked through some of the article and I can see where it might contain the answer.

I'm just wary of messing with the registry.  Do I make a backup of the whole registry file?
Or is there another way to save it...or do I just create a new 'restore' spot before messing with it.

Just afraid I'll mess it up and won't be able to boot the PC. 

Oh well...I should be able to do it.  Sometime this weekend when I have an hour to myself.

Have a good weekend...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 8th, 2007 19:00

If you follow the article as written, there's little risk. In addition, Windows automatically creates restore points, so there's nothing to worry about.

38 Posts

June 8th, 2007 23:00

You have to be one of the 'good guys' in life.  Appreciate this.

Hope to respond with good news by next week.
No Events found!