Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2014 09:00

Product Support drive test fails but never produces a report

I'm experiencing errors on the factory supplied HD. Running the product support drive test produced errors, but completing the "Running Selected Diagnostic" phase, it never proceeds to the "Creating Diagnostic Report" phase.

The screen with the status of the individual sub-tests was erased and I now just have the "Diagnostic in progress - Please do not close this window." display, so I can't even report the actual failures shown.

Since the failing disk is my Windows 7 system drive, I really need to get it replaced, soon.

How do I proceed?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 20th, 2014 11:00

Run the Dell diagnostics outside of the operating system - F12 at powerup.   Choose diagnostics.  If the system is under warranty and you see an error starting with 2000-, record the last four digits and contact Dell support with that number.  They'll replace the drive if it shows a failure error.

23 Posts

July 20th, 2014 11:00

Thanks; I'll give that a go.

But,  I disconnected my external 2TB backup drive and was able to re-run the support diagnostic to completion. Might have just been a coincidence, but it's done.

Visiting the product support page just now, I see "Dell PC Diagnostics ran on 07-20-2014 at 11:25 AM" so it appears that the results of the report were sent to Dell, and they'll know about it if I call tomorrow. Am I interpreting that correctly?

23 Posts

July 20th, 2014 13:00

Ran the F12 diagnostics and quickly hit a 2000-0142 error on the system drive.

Google pointed me to Dell's checklist of what they expect a user to try before pronouncing the disk dead, and I've done everything (swapping SATA ports on the motherboard, swapping cables, etc) short of re-formatting the drive and re-installing the OS.

So, I guess I'll give 'em a call first thing Monday morning.

Thanks for the pointer.

No Events found!