Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2011 15:00

Will the new XPS Series support IDE Drives?

Considering a Dell XPS 8300 or 9100.
i7-2600, 9-12 GB RAM, BD, 1GB GRFX, 1-1.5TB SATA internal drive

In thinking about data management after the initial transfer is made, I'm wondering if these new computers will even take an IDE drive.  My boot drive on my HP is 500GB and I'd like to install it in a bay as an on-board storage for music or something, but its IDE.  I'd hate to have to trash it, and since I already have 2 USB externals, I don't want to go to a 3rd.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 29th, 2011 17:00

Hi Mccpro,

You'll need an IDE controller card. They're pretty cheap.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2011 07:00

Hi Mccpro,

You'll need an IDE controller card. They're pretty cheap.

Thanks so much!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 31st, 2011 10:00

You can convert IDE to Sata with a Bridge board that mounts on the back of the drive.

Rosewill RC-204 IDE to SATA Mini Vertical Bridge (for IDE device)

SATA Adapters

http://www.addonics.com/overview_io.asp

Home > Products > I/O Converter > IDE - Serial ATA Converter

Looking to get more speed out of your hard drive, hot swap capability and better air flow in the over crowded interior of your desktop computer? Addonics Serial ATA line of product is your answer.

The Addonics IDE-Serial ATA converter is the most cost effective solution for converting standard IDE and ATAPI devices to the new Serial ATA interface standard. Designed to mount easily behind the back of any IDE hard drive and ATAPI devices such as DVD-R/RW, CDRW, DVD-ROM, the IDE-Serial ATA converter can also mount onto the Addonics Combo Hard Drive desktop drive cradle and a growing list of Addonics internal devices.Coupling with Addonics Serial ATA PCI host controller, adding serial ATA to any desktop computer is easy and affordable.

Want to know more about Serial ATA? Please visit our tutorial page.

No Events found!