Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 13th, 2013 16:00

how to enable Intel Rapid Start Technology?

Hello expert,

I've just received my Dell Inspiron 14z laptop.  It came pre-loaded with windows 8.  I was having a hard time using windows 8, so, I wiped and reinstalled a clean Windows 7 Pro.  However, everytime I start up my laptop, I received this message said, "Your system does not appear to have Intel Rapid Start Technology enabled".

I checked the BIOS and it is enabled.  I have the most updated BIOS.

11 Posts

January 13th, 2013 16:00

BTW, I went into the "manage" tab and noticed under "Accelaration device: None".  I selected the C drive, but it didn't take the changes.

750 Posts

January 14th, 2013 02:00

Hi sqa4life,

Based on the screenshots, I believe the computer has a 500GB SATA hard drive and a 32GB mSATA SSD. In order to utilize the mSATA SSD drive as a cache device, Intel Smart Response Technology has to be enabled in BIOS and configured on the system. After this, Intel Rapid Start Technology can be configured.

Please use the following link for steps to configure Intel Smart Response Technology: http://dell.to/TUV9hB

After configuring Intel Smart Response Technology, use the following link for steps to configure Intel Rapid Start Technology: http://dell.to/TUVjFr

Kindly let me know the results.

11 Posts

January 15th, 2013 16:00

Kaylen,

Thanks for your quick respond and provided the links.

I've followed the instruction exactly, but I could not pass the "Acceleration Configuration".  I tried at least 10 times with every reboot, still getting the same error message.

I am curious what type of filesystem format does the C: partition has to be in order this this to work?  I had it formatted as NTFS

After clicked the ok button shown in the screenshot above, it runs for about 10 minutes and throw an error message below.

750 Posts

January 15th, 2013 23:00

Hi sqa4life,

As per the first screenshot, it seems you have selected the C drive while enabling Acceleration.

In the “Accelerate Disk or Volume” window, click the drop down arrow and select the mSATA SSD drive. Then select “Enhanced mode”, and click “Ok”.

If issue persists, please let me know if you made any changes in the BIOS while installing Windows 7 on the laptop.

11 Posts

January 15th, 2013 23:00

C: drive is the only option in the drop down box and I think that makes sense.  

I did not make any changes to the BIOS, but I did updated the BIOS (A08) file I downloaded from Dell.

See screenshot.

750 Posts

January 16th, 2013 00:00

Hi sqa4life,

Let us try this: Under SSD Configuration, click “Reset to available” which is next to “Usage: Cache device” (Refer image)

Now, check if the mSATA SSD is available for Acceleration.

11 Posts

January 16th, 2013 01:00

On step #2 "2.    Go to RAID BIOS(Use Ctrl+I) and disable accelerate option for SSD (Only if HDDs are not detected while OSRI)"

do I press Ctrl+l within the BIOS window?

Another way to say is:

1) power on the pc

2) press the F2 to get into BIOS

3) while in BIOS, press the Ctrl+l to get into RAID BIOS?  

(if yes to number 3, then the Ctrl+l don't work.  It didn't do anything)

I don't think I see RAID anywhere in the BIOS window.

11 Posts

Yes!

I tried this method at least 8 times.  Same problem.  See screenshots in order

750 Posts

Hi sqa4life,

Reinstalling the operating system seems to be the only possible solution. If you have backed up the data on the computer, refer to the following link for instructions to reinstall Windows 7 with mSATA Drive & Intel Smart Response Technology: http://dell.to/U07hhb

Note: If the hard drive is not recognized during the installation, change the SATA Operation to AHCI and install the operating system.

After reinstalling the operating system, refer to the links available in my first post to configure Intel Smart Response Technology and Intel Rapid Start Technology.

Please post the results.

750 Posts

January 16th, 2013 03:00

Hi sqa4life,

Try to initiate the operating system installation with SATA operation set to “Intel Smart Response Technology”. At the stage where the install location needs to be selected, if the hard drive is not shown, exit the installation. Go back to BIOS and change the SATA operation to AHCI. Save the BIOS settings and exit the BIOS. Try installing the operating system.

After installation is done, install the drivers and also the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software. Open Intel Rapid Storage Technology and try configuring the “Intel Smart Response Technology” which should work. If it does not work, restart the computer and go to BIOS, change SATA operation from “AHCI” to “Intel Smart Response Technology”. Now, configure Intel Smart Response Technology after which, we can configure Intel Rapid Start Technology.

Let me know the results.

11 Posts

January 16th, 2013 11:00

Thanks Kalyan.

Unfortunately, none of the above method work.  I've been reinstalling the OS 4 times and tried so many options.  No luck.

I'll restore to factory (win8) and try to live with it.

Thanks for all the effort from your team.

750 Posts

January 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi sqa4life,

Before we restore the computer to Windows 8, I would like to confirm the system model and check if there is any other possible solution. Please click on my username and add me as a friend. Send me a direct message with the service tag of the computer and I will help you further.

February 21st, 2013 12:00

I have the same problem as you. My computer is Dell Inspiron 15z Ultrabook, core i7, 500GB and 32GB SSD.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2013 14:00

I'm getting that same error message, "Your system does not appear to have Intel Rapid Start Technology enabled"., on my new Inspiron 15z. This is a brand new computer - I don't think I should be getting any error messages!

February 26th, 2013 12:00

After several attempts, I solved the problem.

I formatted my computer and delete all partitions, including the protected system partitions and also the operating system.

I reinstalled Windows 8 Pro Eng and installed all drivers using Dell Analyze Driver Utility from the Dell support page.

No Events found!