Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

35 Posts

September 28th, 2022 12:00

SupportAssist and Win 11 upgrade

I have a Dell Inspiron 3583 laptop. I just upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I then ran SupportAssist (I think it's version 3.11.4), which was already installed and working correctly with Windows 10 on my computer. It seemed to work fine with Windows 11, but it deleted a very large number of Windows registry files. It didn't find any updates. I'm now wondering if it thinks I still have Windows 10 and it deleted the Windows 11 registry files. Was I supposed to reinstall SupportAssist after upgrading to Windows 11? Is there a different version of SupportAssist for Windows 11? Or does SupportAssist recognize automatically that I now have Windows 11?

162 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 22:00

To check if Windows 11 is ready for your device, go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates. If the upgrade is available for your device and you want to proceed, download and install it.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

October 5th, 2022 16:00

I already upgraded my computer to Win 11. But then I ran SupportAssist (which I already had on my computer when I had Win 10). It deleted 315 system files and 67 registry files. After that SupportAssist and Dell Update wouldn't work anymore. And I have been experiencing other problems with the computer as well. Dell Tech Support couldn't fix it. Dell's website said my computer could be upgraded to Win 11. And Windows Update said that also. I think the problem is with SupportAssist. It ruined my computer when I ran it after upgrading to Win 11. Win 11 was working on my computer until I ran it. (SupportAssist on my computer is version 3.11.4.29.)

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

October 5th, 2022 19:00

Hi RedheadedCelt:

After any Windows OS upgrade it's not unusual for third-part software to have glitches or behave oddly and require a reinstall.  If you want to try a reinstall see employee DELL_Chris M's instructions at SA Uninstall / Reinstall.  The release notes <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for SupportAssist v3.11.4 state that this version is compatible with 64-bit Win 10 and Win 11, but just note that many Dell users are currently having issues either installing or running v3.11.4.29, and Dell is in the process of rolling out a newer v3.12.2.40 that should include some bug fixes.

Please see my 12-Jul-2021 post in ex-jedi's Prevent Automatic Recycle Bin Emptying about the over-aggressive registry cleaner associated with the Tune Performance scan of SupportAssist.

If you want to continue using SupportAssist v3.x I'd suggest you turn off all background "system optimization" scans at Options (gear icon) | Settings | Automate Scans and Optimizations | Scan Your System and Drivers and just run the occasional "Get Drivers & Downloads" and/or "Scan Hardware" scans manually from the Home tab.

Dell SupportAssist v3_11_4  Disable Automatic Scans and Notifications 08 Sep 2022.png

If you haven't already done so I would also run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and DISM commands like Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth from an elevated command prompt as instructed in the ghacks.net article Use DISM to Fix Issues SFC Can't to see if those scans can find any issues with your current Windows system files, just in case they've been damaged by one of the SupportAssist "system optimization" scans (Clean Files / Tune Performance / Optimize Network).

As you might have guessed, I'm not great fan of SupportAssist - it's too buggy, consumes too many system resources, and as I noted above, the "system optimization" scans are too aggressive and have the potential to do more harm than good. I have disabled my Dell SupportAssist and Dell TechHub services so that SupportAssist can't launch automatically on my Inspiron 5584 at boot-up (see image below), and I've started using Dell Update v4.x to check for Dell software and driver updates. If I ever need to run a hardware scan I can still run Dell's F12 ePSA (enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment) hardware diagnostics from my BIOS, and my Windows 10 OS also has its own built-in hardware diagnostics at Settings | Update & Security | Troubleshoot | Additional Troubleshooters. Note that I've also disabled Dell SupportAssist Remediation (also known as Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery / System Repair) and now use Macrium Reflect Free imaging software in case I ever need to perform an emergency recovery, but that's a whole other discussion - see my 28-Jul-2021 post in Desmodus1984's Inspiron 5570 - SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools Downloads But Not Installing. At some point I'll likely go ahead and uninstall both SupportAssist and SupportAssist Remediation.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Services All Dell Serivces Three SA Services Disabled 26 Sep 2022.png

If you want to try Dell Update v4.x on your Inspiron 3583 go to https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=products and enter your unique Service Tag, which should re-direct you to the support page for your Inspiron 3583. I believe the Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.6.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_MGVT1_WIN_4.6.0_A00.EXE, released 24-Sep-2022) listed on the Inspiron 3583 Driver & Downloads tab will be recommended for your Service Tag and Win 11 OS.
--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v105.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1772 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell Update Windows Universal v4.6.0 * Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.5.4.16189 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.20.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

October 14th, 2022 16:00

Thank you, Imacri for your helpful post. But I now have SupportAssist version 3.12.3 and it still isn't working. Also, now Dell Update isn't working either, so I have no way to update drivers/BIOS/firmware. And my computer has failed to install version 22H2 of Windows 11. Dell tech support is unable to help me. They said I should get more memory installed in my computer, but I don't think that would help. I'm about to give up on this computer.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

October 15th, 2022 06:00

@RedheadedCelt wrote:

... I now have SupportAssist version 3.12.3 and it still isn't working. Also, now Dell Update isn't working either, so I have no way to update drivers/BIOS/firmware. And my computer has failed to install version 22H2 of Windows 11...

Hi RedheadedCelt:

When you say SupportAssist v3.12.3 isn't working do you mean that it won't launch, or do you mean that you see an error message when you try to run manual scans like "Get Drivers & Downloads" or "Scan Hardware" from the Home tab? When you go to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features does it show that you have the required MS .NET Runtime v6.0.x that is a new minimum system requirement listed <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> in the v3.12.3 release notes?

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Control Panel Three Versions of NET Core Runtime 14 Oct 2022.png

What is the edition (e.g., Home, Pro, etc.), version and OS build number of your Win 11 OS shown at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications? If you open a Run dialog box and enter msinfo32 to open the System Information panel, how many GBs of "Installed Physical Memory (RAM)" and "Available Physical Memory" do you have on your Inspiron 3583? What is your current BIOS version shown in System Information (look for the field titled "BIOS Date/Version").

Microsoft has put a number of temporary safeguards in place to delay the Feature update to v22H2 on some systems (see the 04-Oct-2022 ZDNET article Why Can't I Get Windows 11 22H2 Yet?) and there are still lots of bugs in v22H2 that have to be fixed so I wouldn't worry if you haven't received the v22H2 upgrade as long as Windows Update continues to deliver your Patch Tuesday security updates on or around the second Tuesday of each month. I have a Win 10 Pro v21H2 OS and I've temporarily modified a setting my Local Group Policy Editor to prevent Windows Update from updating my Inspiron 5584 from v21H2 to v22H2 until I'm sure v22H2 is stable.

What were the results of the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and DISM scans I suggested <above> on 05-Oct-2022? Do those scans find any problems with your Windows system files, and if so are they able to repair any damaged or missing files?

Regarding your Dell Update v4.x problem, I'd suggest uninstalling from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features, re-booting, and then reinstalling. To reinstall go to the support page at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3583-laptop/drivers for your Inspiron 3583, download a fresh installer for Dell Update Windows Universal v4.6.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_MGVT1_WIN_4.6.0_A00.EXE, rel. 24-Aug-2022) and save it to your desktop, and then right-click on the .exe installer and choose "Run as Administrator". NOTE: Before reinstalling Dell Update v4.6.0 just check to see if SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 runs correctly without Dell Update on your system.

Also note that the Known Issues section <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> of the SupportAssist v3.12.3 release states that there is a known bug where driver scans may not run correctly in SupportAssist after Dell Update is installed or updated.  This is an old bug also affects earlier versions of SupportAssist. This may not be relevant to you at the moment, given that SupportAssist isn't working correctly anyway, but it's something to keep in mind for future reference. SupportAssist  can be very fussy about the order in which Dell Update and SupportAssist are installed, so if you ever install or update Dell Update v4.x and SupportAssist stops working try a clean reinstall of SupportAssist as instructed in Dell employee DELL-Chris M's SupportAssist Uninstall / Reinstall and see if that gets SupportAssist working again.

Dell SupportAssist v3_12_3 Release Notes Known Issues Dell Update and Driver Scans 15 Oct 2022.png

One other thing you could try. Windows 11 has a security feature called Memory Integrity that is turned ON by default in Win 11 but turned OFF by default in Win 10. The section titled "Memory Integrity" in the MS support article Core Isolation states in part:

"Memory integrity, also known as Hypervisor-protected Code Integrity (HVCI) is a Windows security feature that makes it difficult for malicious programs to use low-level drivers to hijack your computer....In most cases memory integrity is on by default in Windows 11, and can be turned on for Windows 10...To use memory integrity, you must have hardware virtualization enabled in your system’s UEFI or BIOS.

Important: For safety we recommend having memory integrity turned on."

I've heard of a few users who had to disable Memory Integrity because some of their third-party software would not run correctly after they upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. If Memory Integrity is enabled on your Inspiron 3583 it might be worthwhile disabling this feature and re-booting to see if SupportAssist and/or Dell Update run correctly, just in case there's something odd about the way that some of the drivers for these Dell programs are accessing memory. As expected, Memory Integrity (located at Settings | Update & Security | Windows Security | Device Security | Core Isolation | Memory Integrity on my Win 10 Pro v21H2 laptop) is OFF by default on my Inspiron 5584, and my System Information (msinfo32) shows that Kernel DMA Protection is also OFF.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Settings Windows Security Device Security Core Isolation EDITED 04 Sep 2022.png

--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2130 * Firefox v105.0.3 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2209.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.15.215-1.0.1784 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979 * Dell SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 * Dell Update Windows Universal v4.6.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.21.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

October 23rd, 2022 11:00

Hi Imacri,

I ran the system file checker and it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Here is the info you asked for about my computer:

Windows 11 Home, version 21H2, version 10.0.22000, OS build 22000.1098, 64-bit
4.00 GB RAM (3.88 GB usable)
MS NET Runtime v5.0.17 (x64) - installed 9/24/2022 and
MS NET Runtime v6.0.9 (x64) - installed 9/29/2022
BIOS v1.20.0 - 7/5/2022

When I try to open Dell Update, nothing happens, it doesn't open. It's an older version of Dell Update (I forget what version, I think 4.1). SupportAssist opens, but when I try to run the scans, it says the system is busy, try again later, and then an unexpected error occurs. The problem started when SupportAssist was taking forever (more than 30 min.) "preparing" for the hardware scan. There was no way to cancel it (the cancel button was greyed out) so I closed SupportAssist. When I reopened it, it gave me the error messages I told you about, and has ever since, even despite a Dell technician uninstalling and reinstalling it. The 3.12.3 version gives me the same error messages. Then the Dell technician used Dell Update to install BIOS version 1.20.0, even though I think I had a newer BIOS version installed (Dell Update was showing some really old updates to install). Now Dell Update won't open at all.

Thank you for your help, by the way. I appreciate the time and effort you are putting into helping me solve my computer problems.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

October 24th, 2022 05:00

@RedheadedCelt wrote:

...Dell tech support is unable to help me. They said I should get more memory installed in my computer, but I don't think that would help....

... When I try to open Dell Update, nothing happens, it doesn't open. It's an older version of Dell Update (I forget what version, I think 4.1). SupportAssist opens, but when I try to run the scans, it says the system is busy, try again later, and then an unexpected error occurs. 

Hi RedheadedCelt:

Your 4 GB of RAM meets absolute minimum system requirements for Windows 11 (see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications) but most new Win 11 computers ship with at least 8 or 16 GB of RAM. I agree with Dell that your system performance will likely be degraded with Win 11 and only 4 GB of RAM - especially if you run third-party programs like SupportAssist that hog large amounts of memory. Open Task Manager and see what % Memory is currently being used on your system when your default browser is open. Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssist Remediation (also called SupportAssist OS Recovery / System Repair) are both disabled on my Inspiron 5584 / Win 10 Pro v21H2 laptop but my Task Manager image below shows that I still typically use ~ 50% to 60% (4 to 5 GB) of my 8 GB of installed RAM and that my Firefox browser, Microsoft Defender antivirus (MSMpEng.exe) and Malwarebytes Premium anti-malware are using the biggest chunk of my RAM. I don't think a lack of free RAM would prevent you from installing SupportAssist on your Inspiron 3583 but I would have second thoughts about using this resource-heavy program if you don't plan on installing more RAM - especially if you can get Dell Update running correctly.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Task Manager Processes Firefox v106_0_1 High Memory Consumption 23 Oct 2022.png

I'm not sure why Windows Update did not update your .NET Runtime v6.0.x from v6.0.9 (rel. 13-Sep-2022) to v6.0.10 (rel. 11-Oct-2022) when your October 2022 Patch Tuesday updates were installed, but I wouldn't worry about that for now - see my comment about .NET Runtime v6.0.9 in the last paragraph of this post.

If you enter your unique Service Tag on the Overview tab of the Inspiron 3583 support page at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3583-laptop/overview then the Drivers & Downloads tabs of your support page should display a list of software and drivers that is filtered to match your laptop's components.

According to the Inspiron 3583 Drivers & Downloads tab <here> the recommended BIOS is Dell Inspiron 3480/3580/3583/3780 v1.20.0 (rel. 08 Aug 2022), which you already have, and your Dell Update app should be at v4.6.0 (rel. 24 Aug 2022). You didn't say if you use Dell Update (the old-style Win32 application for Win 8.1 and higher) or Dell Update for Windows Universal [the new-style Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app for Win 10 and higher], but I prefer to use Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.6.0 on my 64-bit Win 10 laptop.

If you want to try fixing Dell Update I'd suggest you uninstall your current Dell Update program from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features and re-boot.  Then download a fresh copy of the Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.6.0 installer (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_MGVT1_WIN_4.6.0_A00.EXE) from the Inspiron 3583 Drivers & Downloads page <here> and save it your desktop, right-click on the .exe installer and choose "Run as Administrator".  Then test to see if  Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.6.0 runs correctly BEFORE you try to fix SupportAssist.

Dell employee DELL-Nathalia M posted instructions for installing the current SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 in Michael.Strachan's Dell Support Assist Fails to Install on 19-Oct-2022 that might work for you. Step # 1 of those instructions advise that users begin by removing all traces of previous SupportAssist installations using the Microsoft Install and Uninstall troubleshooter. That troubleshooter should guide you through the process of removing SupportAssist from your computer but if you need help with this troubleshooter then read Method V of the Dell support article Windows 11, and Windows 10: Various Methods to Uninstall Problematic Programs and Apps. (Note: Step # 2 of DELL-Nathalia M's instructions also advise that you have the older .NET Runtime v6.0.9, and not the current v6.10.0, installed on your system before you reinstall SupportAssist).
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2130 * Firefox v106.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2209.7-1.1.19700.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.16.217-1.0.1792 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979 * Dell SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 * Dell Update Windows Universal v4.6.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.21.0

October 30th, 2022 20:00

I just wanted to update you as to what has been going on with my computer.

After I ran the System File Checker and it repaired the corrupted files last week, I went to the support page for my computer and I ran the automatic detect driver updates and it worked (but it found no updates)! I then opened SupportAssist and ran the scan hardware check and it worked! I then ran the remove viruses and malware check on SupportAssist and I got the "unexpected error occurred" message.

Today, I went back to the support page for my computer to check for updates, and it said I didn't have SupportAssist installed on my computer! I tried to open SupportAssist and I got a message that it couldn't be opened, and I should restart my computer and try again. I restarted my computer and tried again. Same thing. I went back to the support page on Dell.com , and it checked automatically for updates successfully but found none. I checked manually for a list of driver updates, and there were several critical ones, including a BIOS update, released on Oct. 26, 2022 (v1.21.0). I installed it successfully, but failed to notice that the list of updates was for Win 10, not Win 11. Did I install the wrong BIOS update? Is there a different BIOS update for Win 11 than for Win 10? Also, why did the automatic check for updates not show the updates that I found with a manual search?

I then tried detecting the driver updates automatically again, and it said "Driver detection not available". I then went to Diagnostics and ran the quick hardware scan and it gave me an error message.

The manual search also showed there was an update for Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.6. Is that an update or the full version of the app? How do I uninstall the version I have and download and install the new version? Do I need to use the method you mentioned previously for uninstalling SupportAssist, where I would need to remove all traces of it from my computer? Or can I just uninstall it from the control panel as you described, and then download it from the manual list of driver updates?

Thanks again.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

October 31st, 2022 09:00

@RedheadedCelt wrote:
...I then ran the remove viruses and malware check on SupportAssist and I got the "unexpected error occurred" message.Today, I went back to the support page for my computer to check for updates, and it said I didn't have SupportAssist installed on my computer! ...

...I checked manually for a list of driver updates, and there were several critical ones, including a BIOS update, released on Oct. 26, 2022 (v1.21.0). I installed it successfully, but failed to notice that the list of updates was for Win 10, not Win 11. Did I install the wrong BIOS update? ...

...The manual search also showed there was an update for Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.6. Is that an update or the full version of the app? How do I uninstall the version I have and download and install the new version?...

Hi RedheadedCelt:

As I said in my 05-Oct-2022 post <above> I don't like using SupportAssist because it's too buggy, consumes too many system resources, and the "system optimization" scans (Clean Files / Tune Performance / Optimize Network) are too aggressive and have the potential to do more harm than good. I've never used SupportAssist's malware scanner (my basic one-year service warranty did not include the malware scanner per the comparison chart <here>) but I'm not very keen on this feature either - see my 14-Aug-2021 post in rinconman285's thread SupportAssist Questions about my concerns regarding Dell's proprietary malware scanner. That's why I recommended <above> that you turn off automatic background scanning in your SupportAssist settings and only run the "Get Drivers & Downloads" and "Scan Hardware" scans manually from the Home tab. I don't know if one of your SupportAssist "optimization" scans (e.g., Optimize Network) could affect SupportAssist's ability to connect to the backend Dell servers, but if you're running Windows 11 on a computer with only 4 GB of RAM I suspect there are going to be times where programs like SupportAssist and/or SupportAssist OS Recovery (also called Dell SupportAssist Remediation v5.x at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features and System Repair in your SupportAssist settings) that hog system resources will struggle to run when you're low on available memory.

I don't know what antivirus program you use, but if you ever want to run a second-opinion scan to look for malware that might have been missed by your real-time antivirus protection I'd recommend using a reputable scanner like Malwarebytes Free for WIndows instead of Dell's proprietary scanner. If you aren't familiar with Malwarebytes Free see the instructions I posted 25-Aug-2022 in Derin Manoj's System Infected: Trojan Backdoor Activity 690 in the Norton forum.

When I go to the Inspiron 3583 support page <here> it lists the same Dell Inspiron 3480/3580/3583/3780 and Vostro 3480/3580/3583 System BIOS v1.21.0 installer (Inspiron_Vostro_3480_3580_3583_3780_1210.exe, rel. 26-Oct-2022) regardless of whether I select Windows 10 64-bit or Windows 11 as the operating system, so I don't think you have to worry that you downloaded the wrong installer. However, see my warning at the end of this post about installing BIOS updates using SupportAssist or Dell Update.

I'm not certain, but as far as I know when you browse to your Inspiron 3583 support page it should automatically detect Windows 11 operating and automatically change the OS shown in the Operating System dropdown to "Windows 11", so I'm not sure why that doesn't happen in your default browser. If you have an alternate browser (e.g., MS Edge) that you don't normally use then try browsing to https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3583-laptop/drivers in that alternate browser and see if your support page is able to automatically detect your Windows 11 OS.

The next time you look for recommended updates on your Inspiron 3583 support page I would suggest you go to the Overview tab <here> first and enter your unique Service Tag. That will ensure that any updates recommended on the Drivers & Downloads tab <here> are filtered to match the drivers and software for your specific hardware configuration. When I do this for my Inspiron 5584 I can see my search results are filtered for the 26 updates that match my unique Service Tag on a tab named "This Device".

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Inspiron 5584 Support Page Drivers and Downloads Filtered for Service Tag 31 Oct 2022.png

Also note that when software and driver updates are first posted on the support page for my Inspiron 5584 they often aren't detected as available updates in my SupportAssist v3.x or Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.x for about a week. I'm not sure why there's a week's delay but perhaps Dell likes to monitor the telemetry that they collect from early adopters for about a week just to ensure there are no serious bugs before the update is pushed out via SupportAssist or Dell Update.

I suggest you try my 24-Oct-2022 instructions <above> for installing Dell Update for Windows Universal as written and see if they work - just note that a new installer for Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.7.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_MMJM6_WIN_4.7.0_A00_01.EXE, rel. 31-Oct-2022) was posted today on the Drivers & Downloads tab <here> of your Inspiron 3583 support page. It shouldn't be necessary to do anything extra to remove your current Dell Update application other than uninstalling from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features, but you might want to re-boot your computer before you download and run the Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_MMJM6_WIN_4.7.0_A00_01.EXE installer. That .exe installer should install the full version of the app if it isn't already installed on your computer.

I normally use Revo Uninstaller Free to remove the last traces of Dell utilities like Support Assist and Dell Update if I need to reinstall these programs, but I wouldn't worry about that for now if you aren't familiar with Revo Uninstaller. SupportAssist often requires a special uninstall tool to remove orphaned registry entries and files left over from the uninstall because this program normally loads into memory at boot-up and embeds services deep in the Windows kernel. Dell Update doesn't run in real-time and is relatively simple program (its only job is to look for and install available Dell software and driver updates), so just do the "regular" uninstall of any Dell Update and/or Dell Update for Windows Universal program you find at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features, re-boot, and then see how Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.7.0 behaves after it's installed.

Just an aside, but I should also note that many users in this forum do not recommend using a Dell utility like SupportAssist or Dell Update to install BIOS updates just in case the update fails to run to completion. Some users have even reported that their system would not boot up after SupportAssist updated their BIOS and they had to downgrade their BIOS before they could boot up their system.

If SupportAssist or Dell Update finds an available BIOS update for my Inspiron 5584 I normally download the .exe installer from the Driver & Downloads tab of my Inspiron 5584 support page and save it to my desktop, and then right-click and choose "Run as Administrator" to allow Windows to install the update. Other Dell users believe this method is still too risky and flash their BIOS from the from BIOS Boot Menu using a removable USB thumb drive. Detailed instructions for updating the BIOS from Windows or the BIOS Boot Menu are posted in the "Installation Instructions" section of the release notes (driver details) for every BIOS update listed on the support page for your Dell computer model, including the release notes <here> for the Dell Inspiron 3480/3580/3583/3780 System BIOS v1.21.0 installer (rel. 26-Oct-2022).
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2130 * Firefox v106.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2209.7-1.1.19700.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.16.217-1.0.1792 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979 * Dell SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 * Dell Update Windows Universal v4.6.0 * Revo Uninstaller Free Portable v2.4.1 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.21.0

October 31st, 2022 12:00

Hi Imacri,

I downloaded the .exe installer for my BIOS update (v1.21.0) from the manual search for Drivers & Downloads and opened the downloaded file from my browser (MS Edge) and followed the instructions to install it. Did I do it wrong? It seemed to be successful. How do I save a downloaded file to my computer?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

October 31st, 2022 14:00

@RedheadedCelt wrote:

... I downloaded the .exe installer for my BIOS update (v1.21.0) from the manual search for Drivers & Downloads and opened the downloaded file from my browser (MS Edge) and followed the instructions to install it. Did I do it wrong? It seemed to be successful. How do I save a downloaded file to my computer?

Hi RedheadedCelt:

I personally think it's safer to save the .exe installer to your desktop, close your browser and any other open programs after the download has finished, and then right-click the .exe file and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you expand the section titled Installation Instructions in the release notes <here> for your Dell Inspiron 3480/3580/3583/3780 System BIOS v1.21.0, the section titled "Updating the BIOS from Windows" advises that you save the .exe installer to your hard drive, although it doesn't specify the exact location where the file should be saved.  It also doesn't tell you to right-click and choose "Run as Administrator" - I just do that as an added precaution.

I don't normally use MS Edge, but if I open that browser and browse to https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3583-laptop/drivers and click the Download button for your Dell Inspiron 3480/3580/3583/3780 BIOS v1.21.0 installer I see a Downloads pop-up in the menu bar asking me if I want to Open or Save the file.

MS Edge v107 Download Save As Prompt 31 Oct 2022.png

If I click Save As this opens the Save As dialog box that allows me to choose my Desktop as the save location.

MS Edge v107 Download Save As Browse to Desktop 31 Oct 2022.png

If downloads in your MS Edge browser behave differently (e.g., if files are automatically saved to your C:\Users\<yourusername>\Downloads folder when you opt to save) that might be because I've configured my MS Edge browser at Settings | Downloads to always ask what I want to do with my downloaded files.

MS Edge v107 Settings Downloads Ask What To Do With File 31 Oct 2022.png

-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2130 * Firefox v106.0.3 * Microsoft Edge v107.0.1418.26 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2209.7-1.1.19700.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.16.217-1.0.1792 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7090 * Dell SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 * Dell Update Windows Universal v4.6.0 * Revo Uninstaller Free Portable v2.4.1 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.21.0

November 5th, 2022 19:00

Hi Imacri,

Today I went to Control Panel|Programs|Programs & Features, but Dell Update wasn’t listed there. I then went to Settings|Apps|Apps & Features, and Dell Update was listed there, but it was only 8.30 MB. I don’t know what it was, but it wasn’t the full program. Anyway, I uninstalled it. Then I downloaded and installed Dell Update v4.7.0 from Dell’s Drivers & Downloads page for my computer. But I don’t know if I remembered to select Win 11. Does it matter if I installed the Dell Update for Win 10?

Now it’s working, though it found no updates. And now Dell Update is listed under Control Panel|Programs|Programs & Features. Dell Update Universal is listed under Settings|Apps|Apps & Features. There is also a Dell Update listed there that is only 8 KB (not MB), created on the same date (today - 11/5/2022). My question is: was it a mistake to uninstall the 8.30 MB Dell Update from Settings|Apps|Apps & Features? If so, can it be fixed? Also, should I have searched for the Dell Update program on my computer using the search box and uninstalled it from there? Does it matter if it wasn’t uninstalled after all?

I then opened SupportAssist (which is v3.12.3.5) and ran Get drivers & downloads, which worked, and then Scan hardware, which also worked. But when I tried to run Remove Viruses & malware, the same old unexpected error occurred.

Also, my magnifier icon on my taskbar was replaced with a search box that says search with a small magnifier in it (similar to Win 10). If I remember correctly, it happened when I uninstalled the 8.30 MB Dell Update from Settings|Apps|Apps & Features. Can that be fixed?

November 5th, 2022 20:00

Hi Imacri,

I just wanted to correct what I posted above (please read my post right before this one). Dell Update in Settings|Apps|Apps & Features is now 48 KB (not 8 KB). Also, Dell Update for Windows Universal is listed in Settings|Apps|Apps & Features, and also in Control Panel|Programs|Programs & Features.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

November 6th, 2022 05:00

@RedheadedCelt wrote:

... Today I went to Control Panel|Programs|Programs & Features, but Dell Update wasn’t listed there. I then went to Settings|Apps|Apps & Features, and Dell Update was listed there, but it was only 8.30 MB. I don’t know what it was, but it wasn’t the full program....

Hi RedheadedCelt:

My Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.x app auto-updated to v4.7.0 when it was launched on 02-Nov-2022. The screenshots below show it's normal to see two components listed for Dell Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps at Settings | Apps | Apps & Features if they installed correctly. The main component is the ~ 22 MB Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.7.0 app (i.e., this is the same program listed at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features). The second component is a smaller ~ 48 KB APPx module (Windows Application Package) called Dell Update, and if I click the Advanced Options link I can see my APPx module is currently v4.7.31.0. If I understand correctly these Appx modules contain files and credentials required to install and run Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Settings Apps and Features Dell Update v4_7_0 Two Components 05 Nov 2022.png

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Settings Apps and Features Dell Update v4_7_0 APPx Module Version 05 Nov 2022.png

When I uninstall the Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.x app I always do so the from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features. I can't recall if this also uninstalls the smaller APPx module, but the Dell Update APPx module should not be uninstalled from Settings | Apps | Apps & Features while the main Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.x app is still installed or you could affect its functionality.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Control Panel Programs and Features Dell Update v4_7_0 05 Nov 2022.png

It sounds like the Dell Update APPx module you originally uninstalled at Settings | Apps | Apps & Features was just a remnant of a previous installation, so no harm done.  Running the latest Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.7.0 installer would have simply replaced that APPx module with a newer version anyway if one already existed.

Note that SupportAssist also has two components in Settings | Apps | Apps & Features. If SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 is installed you should see the main 303 MB Dell SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 program and the smaller 3.6 MB APPx module called SupportAssist v3.12.10.0. See rinconman85's 18-May-2021 thread What is the Current Version of Support Assist for more information - that thread is a bit old but Dell employee NikhilKiroula has posted a few replies in that thread about why it's normal for SupportAssist to have two components with different version numbers listed at Settings | Apps | Apps & Features.

... Then I downloaded and installed Dell Update v4.7.0 from Dell’s Drivers & Downloads page for my computer. But I don’t know if I remembered to select Win 11. Does it matter if I installed the Dell Update for Win 10?...

When I go to the Inspiron 3583 support page <here> it lists the same Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.7.0 installer (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_MMJM6_WIN_4.7.0_A00_01.EXE, rel. 31-Oct-2022) regardless of whether I select Windows 10 64-bit or Windows 11 as the operating system, so I don't think you have to worry that you downloaded the wrong installer.

... Also, my magnifier icon on my taskbar was replaced with a search box that says search with a small magnifier in it (similar to Win 10). If I remember correctly, it happened when I uninstalled the 8.30 MB Dell Update from Settings|Apps|Apps & Features. Can that be fixed?

I'm not familiar with Windows 11, but it's unlikely that uninstalling an old Dell Update APPx module from a previous Dell Update installation affected the display of the Search icon on your taskbar. It's more likely you accidentally unpinned the Search icon from your taskbar or received a Windows Update that changed the behaviour of your Search icon. Go to Settings | Personalization | Taskbar | Taskbar Items and ensure the Search option is turned on as instructed in Option # 2 of the ElevenForum tutorial Add or Remove Search Button on Taskbar in Windows 11. If you want to hide the Search box on your taskbar see the Microsoft support article Hide and Unhide Your Search Box in Windows (be sure to select the Windows 11 tab for the correct instructions). Note that the ElevenForum tutorial section at https://www.elevenforum.com/tutorials/ has hundreds of helpful tutorials for Windows 11 users.

...I then opened SupportAssist (which is v3.12.3.5) and ran Get drivers & downloads, which worked, and then Scan hardware, which also worked. But when I tried to run Remove Viruses & malware, the same old unexpected error occurred.

If your "Get Drivers & Downloads" and "Scan Hardware" scans are working correctly in SupportAssist then you're better off than many other Windows 11 users. I'm not familiar with Dell's proprietary malware scanner that is built in to SupportAssist (I had a Basic service warranty that doesn't include this feature so the "Remove Viruses & Malware" panel has always been greyed out/disabled as shown below), but as I stated <above> on 31-Oct-2022, I wouldn't advise using this malware scanner anyway.

SupportAssist v3_12_3 Home Tab Remove Viruses and Malware Disabled 06 Nov 2022.png

If your Dell malware scanner worked correctly with a previous version of SupportAssist then I assume you have a Premium Plus Support service plan and that it has not expired yet (note that the malware scanner is one of the few functions that is disabled in SupportAssist when a Premium Plus Support service plan expires). If that is correct I would suggest you either wait for the next version of SupportAssist to be released to see if this re-enables the malware scanner, or contact Dell Customer Support again and ask if there' is a known bug in SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 that causes the malware scanner to throw an "unexpected error occurred" message. You could try a clean reinstall of SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 to see if that fixes the problem (see DELL-Nathalia M'S 19-Oct-2022 instructions in in Michael.Strachan's Dell Support Assist Fails to Install) but you might find that a reinstall of SupportAssist just creates more problems that it fixes.

Given that your Inspiron 3583 / Win 11 v21H2 laptop only has a limited 4 GB of installed RAM, it's hard to know what issues you might see when your system starts to run low on available memory.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2130 * Firefox v106.0.5 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2210.4-1.1.19700.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.17-221-1.0.1806 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7090 * Dell SupportAssist v3.12.3.5 * Dell Update Windows Universal v4.7.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.21.0

November 6th, 2022 08:00

Hi Imacri,

I can't see your screenshots in your last post. They appear as empty squares with a triangle in them. Could you repost them? Thanks.

No Events found!