Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2013 08:00

idrac7 goes unresponsive

We have a random issue with idrac7 (R620s) where the idrac becomes almost totally unresponsive but magically seems to fix itself within 24 hours.

Here is what we have observed: 

• “ERROR: Unable to perform requested operation” errors message when trying to run local racadm commands. Occurs on Windows and Linux
  • No ssh access to the idrac. The ssh attempt hangs then reaches the timeout.
  • No idrac webpage access or limited access
  • Ping still works to the idrac
  • The idrac tracelog has missing content for the problem time then logs start appearing when the idrac resets itself.
  • Draining flea power fixes the issue but this is not an acceptable solution for OOB managment.

Has anyone else seen this?

I dont have an SR open but have been in contact with Dell IPS.

183 Posts

March 25th, 2013 08:00

I think my issue is fixed with idrac7 FW 1.37.35. There was a memory leak which was fixed. I ran "racadm racdump" and looked for memory usage deltas.  

• 

8.4K Posts

February 14th, 2013 09:00

Nadogmoney,

Is the server currently up to date? Also, to clarify, you said that you were running local racadm commands, but also say you tried linux and windows to connect, was this remotely?

What is the racadm command you are trying to run?

Lastly, have you tried uninstalling Rac Tools and reinstalling.

Let me know what you find.

183 Posts

February 14th, 2013 09:00

Chris H,

We are two revs back on production systems:

PowerEdge R620

Bios Version             = 1.2.6

iDRAC Version            = 1.23.23

USC Version              = 1.0.8.42

Racadm commands were run locally on Windows and Linux. Remote racadm was not tried.

Any local racadm command gets "ERROR: Unable to perform requested operation"

We have not uninstalled rac tools and reinstalling. The issue has persisted from OMSA 7.1 to 7.2 so we may have covered this testing when running 7.2. Also, not being able to ssh and use the web gui point to the cause not being rac tools related.

• 

8.4K Posts

February 14th, 2013 10:00

It does look like you are behind on all 3 updates. WOuld you run these updates in order and then let me know if the issue persists.

BIOS - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r620

iDrac - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r620

USC - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r620

Also, have you run this OMSA patch yet, it looks to address CLI issues? - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r620

Let me know how it goes.

183 Posts

February 14th, 2013 10:00

It is a random issue over hundreds of R620s so I will have no way of knowing if it is fixed unless I update all systems and wait for it to happen. We are not ready to update all the R620s yet.

1 Message

March 19th, 2013 07:00

I have a very similar problem with a R820. The symptoms are similar, but in my case there is no ping, and it doesn't fix itself... The iDRAC works for some time just after plugging in power cords, but after some time (it looks rather after some usage), it hangs, and the only way to get it working is unplugging both supplies for some seconds.

183 Posts

March 25th, 2013 08:00

what do you get when you run a local "racadm getsysinfo"?

No Events found!