Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2018 08:00

"Login failed: connection error"

Installed server administrator and OpenManage per Dell's "guides". Launch localhost:1311 fine, but every time I try to log in I get the error "Login failed: connection error"

ensured the admin account had a password and all permissions, tried using localhost, 127.0.0.1, hostname, IP, and even the iDRAC IP. Same error. What am I doing wrong?

September 17th, 2018 14:00

Since whichever Dell moderator can't read and keeps merging these unrelated requests, I'm going to mark this as the solution to close this thread out and post it for the third time. 

Hopefully they'll stop merging all my threads together and I can get an actual answer from somebody.

Horrible software, horrible customer support. Never buying Dell again.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 14th, 2018 11:00

Hello

OpenManage Server Administrator uses accounts within the operating system. Do not check the active directory box on the login page. Also, if you get a browser pop-up box requesting a user/pass then close it. You can find more information on the OMSA support page.

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

Thanks

September 14th, 2018 12:00

Are you saying to use my local Windows credentials to log into the OpenManage page? When I try that, I get "Login Failed... certificate error".

I've never checked the AD box.

If I check the "ignore certificate error box", I just get the same "Logain failed... connection error" I was getting before.

None of the guides you linked me to cover these issues.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 14th, 2018 14:00

Review the requirements in the documentation. Make sure you are using a supported browser.

If you want more assistance from the community then I suggest providing more information. If you provide the version of OMSA, Windows, browser, etc that you are using someone may be able to tell what is wrong. Setup, configuration, and compatibility should be covered in the documentation.

September 15th, 2018 07:00

I did follow the guides/Dell's youtube videos to set this up. Chalking this up to "you probably just set it up wrong, sorry" isn't exactly good customer service. It'd be easier to pin this down if Dell didn't decide 4 words was enough for an error message. 

OMSA 9.1
Windows 10
Tried Chrome, IE, and even Edge. All same error.

15 Posts

September 17th, 2018 10:00

Usually repetitive connection errors is indeed a connection error. I would suggest in what ever you use yo handle DHCP/NAT/etc is properly configured to allow connections as such, not just your computer and the machine you're trying to log into, ultimately to eliminate the possibility of your machine/OS being the culprit and even further up, try another machine.

September 17th, 2018 11:00

I don't think it's a networking issue, I'm able to ping and remotely access anything on this local network perfectly fine.

After trying the local username/password as opposed to the iDRAC username/password, I'm now getting "certificate error" instead of "connection error". Which is still horribly vague and I'm not sure what to do about it. If I check the "ignore certificate warnings" box, then I get "connection error' again.

September 17th, 2018 12:00

I can access the iDRAC fine. I need to extend my RAID5 which you can apparently only do via OMSA, and that's what's having problems.

15 Posts

Try adding the iDRAC to compatibility view. I have an iDRAC 5 and I have certificate errors, Chrome allows me o continue but IE requires it to be added to compatibility view. 

During OMSA install, I get the following warning during the pre-req check

The installer has detected that the HTTPS listener is not configured for Windows Remote Management. You can either configure the HTTPS listener before installing Remote Enablement, or install Remote Enablement now by selecting the "Custom" installation screen and configure the HTTPS listener later. See the "Remote Enablement Requirements" section in the Server Administrator Installation Guide for information on configuring the HTTPS listener. Note: Remote Enablement is required to manage this system from a remote Server Administrator Web Server and is applicable only for those systems that support Server Instrumentation. Click here to configure HTTPS Listener for Windows Remote Management.

However, I don't have any option in the custom installation screen to take care of this issue. The only option I have in the custom install screen is "Server Administrator Web Server".

If I just ignore this warning, OMSA installs fine but when I try to log into the web gui I get a "certificate error" and can't log in.

How do I get Remote Enablement/HTTPS Listener set up if the custom installer doesn't give me the option?

September 17th, 2018 13:00

*please don't merge this again, it's a separate concern from my other post

The installer has detected that the HTTPS listener is not configured for Windows Remote Management. You can either configure the HTTPS listener before installing Remote Enablement, or install Remote Enablement now by selecting the "Custom" installation screen and configure the HTTPS listener later. See the "Remote Enablement Requirements" section in the Server Administrator Installation Guide for information on configuring the HTTPS listener. Note: Remote Enablement is required to manage this system from a remote Server Administrator Web Server and is applicable only for those systems that support Server Instrumentation. Click here to configure HTTPS Listener for Windows Remote Management.

However, I don't have any option in the custom installation screen to take care of this issue. The only option I have in the custom install screen is "Server Administrator Web Server".

If I just ignore this warning, OMSA installs fine but when I try to log into the web gui I get a "certificate error" and can't log in.

I've created a cert using selfssl and winrm is set to use it for https but OpenManage refuses to accept that or give me any means to fix it.

How do I get Remote Enablement/HTTPS Listener set up if the custom installer doesn't give me the option? 

September 17th, 2018 14:00

MODERATOR, PLEASE STOP MERGING. THIS IS A SEPARATE ISSUE.

The installer has detected that the HTTPS listener is not configured for Windows Remote Management. You can either configure the HTTPS listener before installing Remote Enablement, or install Remote Enablement now by selecting the "Custom" installation screen and configure the HTTPS listener later. See the "Remote Enablement Requirements" section in the Server Administrator Installation Guide for information on configuring the HTTPS listener. Note: Remote Enablement is required to manage this system from a remote Server Administrator Web Server and is applicable only for those systems that support Server Instrumentation. Click here to configure HTTPS Listener for Windows Remote Management.

I've created a cert using selfssl and winrm is set to use it for https but OpenManage refuses to accept that or give me any means to fix it.

7 Posts

March 17th, 2021 12:00

Had the same experience and landed on this thread. Hopefully the following is helpful to someone...

Tried to install OpenManage on an old R510 with a clean install of Windows 10 (was re-purposing old server) and got the "Login failed: connection error". What this really means is that the service isn't running so there is nothing to connect to.

On the same machine installed Server 2019 and then installed OpenManage and it worked just fine.

My conclusion is that OpenManage does NOT install on Windows 10 Pro. I don't know whether it's real OS issue or just that someone (Dell?, Microsoft?) doesn't want you running a desktop operating system on server hardware.  

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 10:00

@klubar 

Hi i have been reading this topic as i stumbled across the same thing, aldo i am using windows server 2012 r2 , with internet explorer.. i can type on the internet explorer https://localhost:1311 and page opens..

it asks me for   hostname/ip addres,  username, password.. without input these 3 i cannot get past it on Openmanage 8.5..

my username Administrator , with my password setup on install does not work, gives login error connection failed...

when i input : hostname as :  localhost..  if i try to input https://localhost:1311 on the hostname it tells me malformed url.. if i remove the port  and leave https://localhost   gives me login error..  i am kind of lost.. on the CentOS live support image 2.x  i installed the openmange version.. and i was able to login just with username : root and password :  dell

but on windows its not going.. at all

and yes i have been following the guide...as described on the pictureOpenManage error.png

April 7th, 2021 05:00

This is an issue with modern browsers and deprecated security functions

The solution is to use an old browser.

For example download version 8.0 of FireFox portable. Later versions might also work

https://mozilla-firefox-portable.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

No Events found!