Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2014 18:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro Travel Keyboard - touchpad isn't responding

I purchased the DVP11 with the travel keyboard, and the touchpad has stopped responding after initially working. The keyboard is fully charged, as is the DVP. All other keys on the keyboard work. Dell Support tried updating the BIOS and several driver settings, but no change. Thoughts before I send the keyboard back?

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 11:00

Mine started working after the update too. But I think you are right that the problem is related to battery, or charging, touchpad stopped working after I charged keyboard separately and then connected it. There are also some connection issues between keyboard and the screen, if the screen is not completely turned to open position so it's resting against the back of the keyboard, either keys and/or touchpad won't work.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2014 15:00

Had same irritating issue on my Venue 11 Pro 5130 (atom one). But, I've actually found a way how to fix this issue. Tried before everything, disconnecting th battery, registry fixes and etc... Anyway at some point touchpad become unresponsible. But, what I accidentally found - while touchpad is not reacting to gestures, and not moving a cursor - the click function on touchpad still working. Anyways, this not bring me closer to solution.

As always, solution is just magic - all you need to do to restore bloody thing - is to run SynaUtilitySfx.exe while tablet is connected to keyboard. The utility will fail telling that touchscreen device not found - but this will enable both touchscreen and a touchpad. Despite I am an IT professional - I can't explain what going on, but this method worked for me.

I've disconnected tablet from keyboard and put the keyboard on charge, which immediately ruined the touchpad when I've connected keyboard back to tablet. I've run  SynaUtilitySfx.exe again - all works. Did it few times to prove - it does fix the bloody thing!

You can get the SynaUtilitySfx.exe stuff from the dell website, they call it Panel Touch Firmware on Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130.

DELL - SORT THIS OUT!

1 Message

May 18th, 2018 09:00

1. Install Synaptics TouchPad Driver

2. While keyboard attached, remove screws & remove plastic back.

3. unattach & re-attach battery & other connectors

4. Reboot

5. Keyboard & touchpad works again!!!( so far!!!)

PS Battery 2# =Not Present

1 Message

January 3rd, 2014 16:00

I am having the exact same issue now. The touch pad originally worked for a couple days and now does not. Did you ever find a solution short of replacement? I am an expat living in Shanghai, China and picked one up in US while home for Holidays. The return with Dell will be difficult as a result. Really hoping it is software related......

2 Posts

January 5th, 2014 23:00

I just recd my vp11/7130 on NYE.  Played with it all NYD, then brought it to work the next day.  Of course, when I wanted to use it for work, the touchpad stopped working.  Tried all night and the weekend with updating thru the DELL and Windows download sites, and it still didn't work.  Called DELL Tech Support on 3 occasions.  They said they would call me back about a solution. Got emailed acknowledging there was a problem, but never recd a call, as promised. Got tired of waiting and, after talking to a 4th time to a rep and his supervisor, they finally decided to send me a new keyboard.  They said it would be here before the end of the week. All the keys work...just the touch pad was suddenly inop.  The rep took control of my vp11. They confirmed I can use all the keys.  Even did tests with the function keys, spending about 20 minutes playing with the F10 and Fnc keys. They initially said that they'd report in 2-3 days, as they wanted their back office support team for a fix.  I didn't like that answer, so that's when I elevated my concern to his supervisor.  After 20 more minutes of his own diagnostics, that's when he said they'd send a new keyboard.

Will report back after I receive the new keyboard if that fixes the problem.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2014 10:00

So  I called Dell again last night.  When I called before, they said the new keyboard would be delivered in 3-5 business days.  That didn't happen.  Then at the beginning of last night's call, they said it would be 7-10 business days.  Then before I hung up, they corrected themselves and said that it would be 20-30 business days before the keyboard is delivered.  They also qualified it and said that the current keyboard has had significant problems and that the "back office" was working on solutions for the problematic keyboard.

Time to see about getting a full refund on the tablet, keyboard, and stylus.  All have problems that aren't making customers unhappy.

Anyone else having this difficulty with the keyboard? No keys or touchpad not working and obtaining an exchange is difficult or with a long lead time.

1 Message

January 11th, 2014 11:00

I'm seeing a similar problem.  I have the travel keyboard on my venue 11 pro and it works for a while and then seems to shut off.  Even if I reboot it doesn't necessarily come back on.  I tried changing the registry settings listed in another post but I'm still getting the same unpredictable behavior.  Dell, is the any fix in the works for this?

214 Posts

January 12th, 2014 11:00

I returned mine after only a few days because the keyboard~trackpad was so flexible, it needed to be placed on a hard flat surface in order to use it; esp. since the trackpad would stop responding if it was even slightly twisted. That makes me wonder if some internal connection is fragile & could be easily damaged during routine handling...

11 Posts

January 13th, 2014 07:00

I also had the same problem with the Mobile Keyboard shutting down after a few minutes.

I did the registry hack, but it didn't "take" -- after rebooting, the flags returned to their original values, for some reason. 

After entering the registry hack two more times, it finally retained the correct settings.

Now my keyboard is working fine. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

17 Posts

February 1st, 2014 14:00

Mine isnt working either, does this mean i have to replace it?

2 Posts

February 13th, 2014 12:00

I have had a similar issue with the touchpad stopping responding.  I have found that the touchpad will stop responding on the keyboard but the keyboard will continue to work.  I am able to get the touchpad worked again by hitting the Windows Key.  After pressing this key the touchpad will continue to work.  This seems to happen about every 1 - 2 hours, but cannot figure out a pattern of what is causing this issue.

17 Posts

February 13th, 2014 12:00

Mine didn't do all that. It slowly started disconnecting. I would be using the touchpad and I would notice it lag on the screen. After an hour of looking for a solution, I just disconnected it from my tablet and connected it again and that actually worked. I haven't experienced any trouble with it since. All i have to say is make sure you have the new BIOS and updates for your tablet. GET ALL THE DRIVERS You can download and install it from here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/ServiceTag/ Service tag removed per privacy policy>

1 Message

February 19th, 2014 07:00

Hello I have venue 11 PRO 7130 with Intel core I3 and I had the same problem.

At the begining everything worked well. I updated the tablet to the Last Bios (A09) and and the issue come up.

the touchpad still works but is uncontrollable while the keybopard works welll.

I do not think that is related to Bios actually. I have also the Slim keyboard and the I have no problem with the touchpad but just some occasional diconnection that recovers after pressing the windows button.

I'm waiting for a replacement hoping the new keyboard does not have this issue.

I would like to see somebody of DELL repling.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2014 10:00

Exactly the same problem here with 7130. Everything is updated to the latest version available. Problem started few days ago, everything else works on Travel Keyboard but the touchpad. Very annouying problem.

March 14th, 2014 08:00

I had the same problem V11P 5130 with tablet keyboard - mobile. After two months the touchpad stopped working. The keyboard still works fine. After reading through the Dell forums I thought it was a hardware problem. However, I may have stumbled onto a solution. I know the "Critical Firmware Update" is for the touchscreen of the tablet not the touchpad of the keyboard, but it is relative somehow. This solution worked for me: 1. Make sure windows update is current 2. Make sure the latest bios update is installed (3-5-14) 3. Undock the tablet from the keyboard 4. Go to My Dell and install the critical firmware update for the touch screen, It doesn't matter if you installed it before, In my case it said it was already installed 5. Attach the tablet to the keyboard and re-start. The touchpad should be back in business! Please let me know if this works for you.
No Events found!