Go to Solution

May 18th, 2014 11:00

Dell Venue 8 4.4 KitKat glitches

I got the update around 12am CST. Since then I have noticed the following:

Random screen freezes

SD card not registering

Apps not working

Lower tolerances to internal heat build up

Jerkiness when scrolling on the web and Facebook.

Does anyone know if Dell did a soak test of this build before they released it?

22 Posts

June 14th, 2014 06:00

Hopefully that screen shot uploaded correctly.  Does anyone else have an image like this when using Streetview in Maps?  This is another bit of 4.2 weirdness on my Venue 8.

14 Posts

May 18th, 2014 11:00

My micro SD card will not mount at all since the KitKat update.

I haven't discovered any other issues as of yet, though.

Thanks for starting this thread.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2014 12:00

I felt it need a good bug list. I have read of others getting the KitKat update and the tablets bricking. I have a feeling the list will get longer in the next 24 hours as more people update.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2014 13:00

New glitch, Venue 8 will not charge past 60%. Worked great before the update, now my device is beginning to be plagued with bugs.

22 Posts

May 19th, 2014 01:00

Duplicate posting not allowed. Only use this one:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4585/t/19582798.aspx

2 Posts

May 19th, 2014 02:00

i feel you, unfortunately there is not much we can do about it now... fortunately I tried rebooting it like a million times and the freezing has stopped. I just noticed that the new update messes around with your apps. i.e. VLC suddenly stopped playing videos due to some hardware issue created by the new update. on the other hand, since the SD card is read only, the torrents stopped working as well... after experimenting for a long time i managed to download torrents on the  tabs memory using apps from the playstore wont work. Hope we get another update soon!

95 Posts

May 19th, 2014 08:00

I'm not sure why people say the sdcard is read only in KitKat.  Maybe I'm not understanding something.

I opened a word file stored in dropbox using kingsoft office

Edited the file

Created a "documents" folder on sdcard1 using esfile explorer.

Chose "Save as"  my word document to my new folder.

Went to the folder using esfile explorer, found the file and  opened with kingsoft. It all seems to be working fine to me.

21 Posts

May 19th, 2014 11:00

I think that they are experiencing the new lame "security" feature where apps can not longer full write access to the card unless they belong to a specific group, I think it is media_rw.

There are work arounds for that, but unfortunately I am in the "No external SD at all" category. With 4.4 the external is not recognized at all no matter which microsd I try. If I revert back to 4.2 it works fine.

95 Posts

May 19th, 2014 15:00

I'd recommend that anybody experiencing excessive glitchyness with the kitkat update do a factory data reset.

Just start with a clean install and reload your apps.  Also make sure your date, time and time zone are correct.  I would think that should clear up any possible compatability issues with apps etc.  If you are still having problems after the reset it is more likely caused by the update.

1 Message

May 19th, 2014 16:00

Yeaah same is happening here..its restarts again and again...heats up...and hangs since i've updated it

22 Posts

May 20th, 2014 04:00

Did a factory reset.

Reloaded everything.

Still having the same issues.

Can't quite understand how it can mess up this badly.....

95 Posts

May 20th, 2014 08:00

Mine was freezing up after the update.  Dicovered my time zone was wrong.  Reset the time zone and everything works perfectly now.

5 Posts

May 20th, 2014 22:00

I've also had problems with the 4.4.2 update:

Screen freezes

Black Boxes appear when scrolling in several apps and even the home screen

Apps crash

I've reset it to factory settings, but the problems remain

I also tried resetting the date and time, per another commentator's suggestion, without any luck

Please help, Dell!

5 Posts

May 21st, 2014 10:00

Add random restarts and screen dimming to that list.

22 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 08:00

I successfully updated to 4.4.2 as well.  It has not been as stable and smooth as 4.3.  I have some similar bugs as others:

1. Web browsers and selected apps with embedded web content have random black boxes covering portions of the app (e.g. Browser, Amazon, Play Newsstand)
  2. Some but not all attempts to expand to full screen video cause the tablet to reboot
  3. Periodic error message of com.android.systemui has crashed; resets my walpaper to the default and on screen navigation buttons no longer display;  have to reboot to restore navigation
  4. WiFi periodically turns off and will not turn back on in settings; reboot device will enable WiFi
  5. No longer able to connect to HMA VPN

Anyone who has not updated from 4.3, I would recommend that they wait until Dell has further Kit Kat updates ready.

Jeff

No Events found!