Tablets & Mobile Devices

Last reply by 02-13-2014 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
Not applicable

Dell Venue Pro 8 Stylus Discontinued ?

I chose the Venue Pro 8, over similar products from competitors, because of the active stylus. In early December, I got the 64GB version (Microsoft Store), but the store was sold out of pens.

Since then, I have been patiently checking the website, which has consistently indicated "sold out."

But now:

A) The stylus has disappeared form the accessories page.

B) None of the bundles shipping from Dell.Com include the stylus.

Interestingly, a bunch of the photos and advertising collateral still include the stylus.

It would be great to have some feedback from Dell about the direction here. Does the Venue Pro 8 support an active stylus? If so, where could I buy one? Is there simply a temporary hold-up while some (apparent) fundamental design/technology problems are addressed, or a hiccup in the supply chain?

I must confess that right now I feel like I have made a purchase based on false advertising claims from Dell.

Replies (18)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I had the same reaction. I was able to pre-order the stylus and keyboard folio 8 weeks ago together, with estimated delivery date of Jan 6th. Jan 7th no package, and an updated delivery date of Jan 16th. Fast forward to Jan 10th, and i get an email and a phone call from Dell saying that my order was canceled due to the product no longer being available. Keeping in mind I had been on a wait list and charged (paypal) long ago for my product. I called and talked to support, then to India to get some more help. They had no indication in their system that the stylus was discontinued. Fast forward to the next supervisor level and a reference number in my email - Yes the stylus has been discontinued. 

Here's hoping Dell makes good on this and has a replacement ready to ship in the next week or so in order to not completely upset a lot of consumers. I do admit that the first batches of stylus had no reason to hit the market as faulty as they were, but with the new firmware fixing the stylus screen response. I am very upset that they removed it from the market. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Same here.  I've been monitoring the "out-of-stock" stylus since December, and this morning I saw it was no longer listed as an accessory.  I bought the tablet for my wife because she wanted a stylus like I have on my Samsung Note 2.  She gave the tablet back to me because there is no stylus.

Without the stylus, it has less to offer than the other brands (especially those that offer hdmi output.)

What a disappointment.  I may be looking at an exchange.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Well, I certainly hope that Dell is redesigning and/or improving the stylus and that's why it's currently not available. If they've dropped support for the stylus completely with no plans to replace it, then I'll be jumping ship to something else. The Asus VivoTab 8 with the Wacom digitizer maybe?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I too just ordered one of these then found this thread

the stylus was a huge reason i went with this tablet.

Do other ones work with it the way it's intended?

Dell, any comments?

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

There is another long thread on here covering the stylus.  It's not being discontinued, but the pen is being revised and rumors are being re-released sometime in February.  The ones which were available to begin with and recently are made very poorly and there is a good chance the first pen you receive wouldn't work correctly.  I bought three from a local MS store and only one worked correctly.  Even then if you leave the stylus in the pen holder in the folio case it drains the battery within a couple days.  

There are no other pens which work with this tablet, you need the Dell active stylus since the digitizer (Synaptics) is unique to this tablet.  

Dell has said they will release an update when ready but there are many people working on the issue.  

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have had three (3) of the Dell pens for my V8P--- not one of them lasted more than a week!    The first one (I got with the tablet) never worked properly.  The next replacement worked fine for about three days.  The third one worked very well for about a week.

I purchased this V8P for taking notes.  Without a working pen and handwriting recognition, I find the device no more useful (probably LESS useful) than my Android tablets.  I'd very much like to return it-- but now I've passed the point where Dell will accept a return and provide a refund.  Yet they continue to advertise the Stylus and its benefits . . .

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I totally agree with you. They shouldn't advertise what they don't have. What I hate the most is that lack of transparency from Dell, not even letting us know what is the real problem and when (if ever) it will be fixed.

Returning my Venue 11 to get a galaxy note.

I advise you to do the same.

Good luck.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

im having this same problem, i contacted Dell Live chat and the representative told me that the Dell Wacom Active Stylus item # 331-4193 would work with the Dell Venue pro 8, i told him that the technology used in the dell venue 8 was from Synaptics and not from wacom but he reassured me that it would work, has anyone tried this? im unsure, don't want to go through the hassle of ordering it and then not working and having to ship it back for a refund

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Don't buy the wacom one. They use different technology. The venue pro uses synaptics (their first try)

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor