Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2022 20:00

VNX5200 - Bus 0 Enclosure 0 is faulted 0x7402

Hoping someone can help. I have a VNX5200 that has been retired from production and is slated to be used in a lab environment. I'm trying to get the firmware updated, but I can't because there are fault statuses indicating that both PSUs are faulted and unrecognized:

1337machine_0-1662607349394.png

The unit is no longer covered under a maintenance contract, and is not going to be. I came across the following community post indicating that there's a good chance that this is a known code issue as per Dell - Solved: Bus 0 Enclosure 0 faulted - Dell Community

The VNX unit is running 05.33.009.5.155

Since the only solution is to contact support, I gave it a try hoping that they would work with me to resolve it since it's a known issue, and the only solution is to contact them. As I'm sure you all can imagine, they refused.

So, I'm left to my own devices on this one, it seems. I've spent about a week searching every corner of the internet for a solution. I've tried literally everything I can find. No amount of reseating PSUs and SPs, naviseccli syntax, rebooting SPA, SPB and CIMOMs is clearing the fault statuses.

If support can fix this, that means that there's a way to do it. I do have the engineering passwords for Unisphere and USM, but I haven't been able to locate anything that can help fix this. Ultimately, I'm thinking there has to be some sort of method to clear the fault statuses and update the firmware, force the firmware update even though there are fault statuses, or change the "rules" so that USM doesn't check for faults... or maybe some naviseccli magic that I just haven't figured out. 

naviseccli -h sc_off - doesn't fix it either.

I was hoping that there might be some sort of factory reset capability, or a maintenance NDU, but no luck there either.

I know the answer has to be out there somewhere! I'm hoping someone can help!

Please and thank you!

• 

6.5K Posts

September 8th, 2022 03:00

hi 1337machine 

Reference KB is 
Dell EMC Knowledge Article 000017840 : VNX2 arrays running Direct Current (DC) power who upgraded Block OE R33.102 or later will experience both Power Supplies as faulted and write cache will be disabled.

There is Internal Notes in above KB and that is what you need to know , you need to find somebody can view this Internal Notes...
(I hope you find the person can help you ) 

September 8th, 2022 16:00

I was able to get someone to get me the content, and it worked! The PSU faults are cleared!

I have one more question. Now that those faults are cleared, this is what remains in the fault list:

1337machine_0-1662679636918.png

I'm assuming that this is because there was a DAE once connected to this thing which is no longer present. Any idea how to forcefully clear these faults?

• 

6.5K Posts

September 8th, 2022 20:00

hi 1337machine 

Thanks for the update! Its great you could clear errors!  

About Cabling information differs between SPs,I found below Info.

In short .... If you have NO DAE connected , Restart management server( naviseccli -h -user sysadmin -password sysadmin -scope 0 networkadmin -restartcimom)  as this may be just a  cosmetic issue . If you do have DAE ( sounds like you do not but anyway ) ,Check cable connection and restart Management server. ( in this case, it may be issue in Cabling or LCC connections ) 

Ref KBs:You may not be able to access some of the KB as it has restriction

Dell EMC Knowledge Article 000104431 : 2580 Cabling information differs between SPs.

Dell EMC Knowledge Article 000008545 : VNX: How to restart navicimom / Management Server using Navisphere CLI.

Thread : This one you can read for sure. 
Not-Sure-What-This-Error-Means-No-System-Crash

September 9th, 2022 13:00

I was able to get the last faults resolved, thankfully. The only fix is to do a destructive reimage of the VNX unit. Thanks for the help!

No Events found!