Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 25th, 2010 05:00

AVG 11: Self-proclaimed dictator of one's computer security

My intent in posting here is to get people to realize the restrictive nature of AVG, so that people looking for a new "anti-virus" will not consider it.   [Alternatively, those who already have AVG, and feel committed to it, might find this a "reference" as to how to "fix" these conflicts, should they arise.]

AVG 11 has seemingly embarked on a remarkably restrictive campaign to insist that it be the one-and-only security program on a user's system --- it does not want to "play well together" as part of a layerered ("mix-and-match") approach to one's security.   To me, this is just another reason for users to AVOID AVG 11.

Allegedly, it won't work with MBAM, nor even with Windows Firewall.     And it clearly doesn't like UAC protection.   As for "facts", the following information was excerpted [copied/pasted/edited] from http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-3283#num-3283, and so represents "official" AVG policy:

=====================

Disable User Account Control (UAC) (Windows Vista and Windows 7 only).
In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the User Account Control function may in some cases create a copy of specific AVG files in a virtual folder. This limits AVG functionality after installation.

=====================

In general, AVG may conflict with applications that provide the same or similar functionality as an AVG component. This is especially important for other programs with one or more of the following features:

• Real-time protection against viruses (like AVG Resident Shield)
  • Monitoring or controling network traffic (like AVG Firewall)
  • Checking or filtering e-mails (like AVG E-mail Scanner)
  • Checking websites, web content filters (like AVG Online Shield)

Here is a list of applications that are known to be in conflict with one or more components in AVG 2011:

Ashampoo Firewall FREE
Issue: It is not possible to update AVG even if all AVG processes are allowed in the firewall, the error message "The connection with the update server failed" is displayed.
Solution: Uninstalling Ashampoo Firewall FREE is the only solution. Workarounds, such as editing AVG services properties, are not safe and present a security risk (any intruder can then take control of the service or attack it from the interactive desktop).

Better File Rename
Issue: Older versions of this application cause Windows Explorer to crash with the active AVG 9.0 Shell Extension Test option when the user right-clicks.
Solution: Update Better File Rename from the developer's website.

BlueCoat K9 Web Protection
Issue: The Internet connection might be blocked completely or partially. AVG Firewall might be blocking some BlueCoat K9 features.
Solution: This issue occurs when both applications are running simultaneously. To ensure that AVG Firewall can function properly, please uninstall BlueCoat K9 Web Protection.

Eset Smart Security 4
Issue: The computer is slowed down or crashes repeatedly.
Solution: It is generally not recommended to use more than one security solution on a single system. They will compete for resources, which may result in slowdowns, crashes or in no protection at all. We recommend uninstalling Eset Smart Security 4. Please see FAQ 2277 for a remover application.

Microsoft Security Essentials
Issue: The computer is slowed down or crashes repeatedly.
Solution: It is generally not recommended to use more than one security solution on a single system. They will compete for resources, which may result in slowdowns, crashes or in no protection at all. We recommend uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials.

PC MACLAN
Issue: A blue screen crash occurs when browsing shared MAC folders using PC MACLAN software. This is caused by a MACLAN component that is not compatible with the AVG Resident Shield driver.
Solution: To eliminate the issue, it is necessary to uninstall the PC MACLAN application.

Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator:  If an old version of Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator.is installed on your computer, the AVG installation process can show the following message:  Installer has detected that there is an outdated version of the program Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator, which contains a bug that (among others) can cause problems with AVG 9.0.  To rectify this situation, we recommend you to visit this Roxio webpage, which contains latest update for this product. After updating, please run the installation again, it should proceed correctly without the above mentioned warning. If you are not using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator at all, you can uninstall it to make sure that the AVG installation will finish correctly.

System Protect
Issue: AVG cannot be installed or is installed incorrectly.
Solution: During the installation of AVG, turn off the System Protect. You may also need to create an exception for AVG later.

PC Tools Antivirus
Issue: Compatibility issues
Solution: PC Tools Antivirus is detected as a conflicting application during the AVG installation. We recommend uninstalling PC Tools Antivirus.

Windows Defender:  Please note that Windows Defender is only disabled and not removed from your computer.
Disabling Windows Defender is important, as it prevents conflicts with AVG. They are both security applications that check files you are working with. Because they try to check files at the same time, conflicts may arise. The results may include freezing, crashes, or computer slowdowns. It is generally not recommend to use more than one security product on a single computer.

Windows Media Player:   Driver Cdr4_2k.sys, which is detected by AVG setup, [as part of Roxio Easy CD/DCD] was also distributed by Microsoft in Windows Media Player.   If you do not have the Roxio software installed, we recommend that you download and install available updates for Windows Media Player from the following website:
http://www.windowsupdate.com

ZoneAlarm Toolbar
Issue: ZoneAlarm Toolbar behaves as a rootkit. It injects AVG processes and causes displaying of error message during the computer startup.
Solution: To solve this situation, we recommend uninstalling the ZoneAlarm Toolbar. It will be possible to use AVG and ZoneAlarm Toolbar together in one of the next updates of ZoneAlarm Toolbar.

20.5K Posts

November 25th, 2010 07:00

THANK YOU, ky331.

I'd like to add: If you need our help cleaning malware, some of our tools will not run if you have AVG installed. You may find that helpers on various forums are intentionally skipping over you if AVG is installed.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

November 25th, 2010 07:00

They were even nice enough to provide ways to delete these "conflicting" products.  :emotion-43:

They sure spent a lot of ink about correcting problems that their buggy piece of junk  might cause.

I thought Rule Number 1 was to design a product that works well with others and doesn't automatically turn other products off. :emotion-18:

Thanks for the heads up David.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 25th, 2010 16:00

Here's a link to the discussion at the MBAM forum http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=65622

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 25th, 2010 17:00

ky331:

I'm assuming all these conflicts apply to the free version of  the standalone AV (AVG 11), and not the AVG Internet Suite. If so, then I am as appalled as others.

By way of comparison, when I installed Outpost's firewall, which included a resident anti-spyware module, it detected that my AV (NOD32 v4) also included a resident anti-spyware that might conflict. Its default installation was to de-activate its own resident anti-spyware component, not NOD32's.

Now that is the type of behavior I admire from a vendor.

20.5K Posts

November 29th, 2010 07:00

AVG has been removed from the Dell WIKI list of suggested free anti-virus programs.

It is no longer suggested at several other forums with similar lists of free security software.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 29th, 2010 08:00

Linda,

I see your suggested list of AVs still includes ClamWin:    "Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware".

Are you sure that you want to keep ClamWin listed?   --- Is it possible that you intended to include the "sound-alike" ClamAV for Windows  http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/about/win32/ , which includes: On Access scanning, On Demand scanning, Quarantine, and Removal; as well as an innovative Cloud-Based protection engine, Community based protection, and companion mode protection features. ???

20.5K Posts

November 29th, 2010 09:00

Not really, David, but the assumption was made that the user would read the instructions on the page. I shall add the following note:

Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.
ClamWin Free Antivirus is based on ClamAV engine and uses GNU General Public License by the Free Software Foundation, and is free (as in freedom) software.

http://www.clamwin.com/

20.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2010 13:00

Just in case anybody needs this info:
System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-4079#num-4079

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2010 16:00

Just in case anybody needs this info:
System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-4079#num-4079

I believe this link may apply to the paid version of AVG only.

Those using AVG Free who experience this problem should see this:
 http://free.avg.com/ww-en/faq?num=4080

This is hardly the first time in recent memory AVG has trashed systems. Those using AVG (if their system is still working) would do well to read the AVG forum thread below in its entirety, to see the full extent of the grief experienced by multiple users from this update:
http://forums.avg.com/ca-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=129779&type=0

Note the initial dismissive (arrogant?) responses from some of the moderators.
Note the hoops those affected by this problem had to jump though to correct AVG's mistakes.
Note the posts from users who have not been able to implement the official fix, even today.

Then ask yourself if this an AV (free or paid) you really want to keep using, when there are several better alternatives.

20.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2010 18:00

159 Posts

December 8th, 2010 09:00

I think both  free version of the standalone AV (AVG 11), and not the AVG Internet Suite conflict with any other anivirus programs. I have not seen that two antivirus work fine in a OS yet. Installing two antivirus together on windows, destroyed windows and you should reinstall windows to work again. If it was OK, i liked to install more than one antivirus for more protection but i doubt i can do it.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 8th, 2010 13:00

... If it was OK, i liked to install more than one antivirus for more protection but i doubt i can do it.

bestis1980:

Actually one can install as many AVs as one likes on one 's computer, to get a "second opinion" scan, provided one follows the following caveats:

- Only have one AV running in real-time (i.e. only one "resident" AV) at any given time.
- When running a "second opinion"  on-demand AV, make sure you disable your real-time AV scanner first. (Generally, by right-clicking on your real-time AV icon in your notification tray, to disable it).
- After running the "second opinion" AV scan, remember to re-activate your resident AV.

I have had as many as 4 AVs installed on my PC in the past, both free and paid, but do not generally recommend this. It gets complicated, and the potential to miss a step and get conflicts that degrade security is real. And all AVs do not offer the option to install as an on-demand scanner only.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 8th, 2010 14:00

"[Attempting to run more than one anti-virus, by 'disabling' the real-time protection of all but one] gets complicated, and the potential to miss a step and get conflicts that degrade security is real"

It has recently come to my attention that it's potentially even more complicated that that:   since the act of "temporarily disabling" one of the anti-viruses is typically done after that program has already loaded (i.e, at boot time), then even upon disabling its real-time protection, it can nevertheless leave its drivers intact.   Meaning there's the potential for negative interaction between the presumed "deactivated" driver and the "secondary"/activated anti-virus' protection.   Additionally, it's possible for the secondary scanner to react to the infected files in the primary scanner's quarantine.

The bottom line for me:   Choose your ONE resident antivirus.   Run the one, and the one alone.   While choreographed contortions might seem to allow two to try to run together, I myself would not want to take the chance.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 8th, 2010 14:00

I've got a question. Since these programs were mentioned here, I have been using the Hitman Pro 3.5 and Emisoft online scanners. Should I be shutting off Avast 5 whilel I am scanning. I do a scan about every week or so with them, in addition to my regular  quick scans of Avast, SOS, MBAM, ThreatFire, and Windows Defender...again about every week to 10 days?  Just wanted to clarify.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 8th, 2010 15:00

For the record, I should have also added that I no longer have any "second opinion" on-demand AV scanners installed myself. They  really are not necessary or desirable, even if "do-able". I got rid of them all some years ago.

There are plenty of on-line and "in the cloud" AV scanners available, if you want a second opinion. I'm partial to Hitman Pro 3.5 myself, which utilizes Emsisoft, Ikarus, Dr.Web, Prevx, and G Data engines.

@dale:

I cannot speak authoritatively, but I personally disable my resident AV, and Windows Defender whenever I run Hitman Pro, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, or any other installed, online, or "in the cloud" on-demand scanners. I've been doing this for years, with no adverse affects.

No Events found!