Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2014 08:00

Any body else ?

About  3 or 4 days ago unsecapp.exe and wmiapsrv.exe Wmiprvse.exe  are showing up in my task manager when booting.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe Wmiprvse.exe

There are a few questions around the web about it but it seems no one knows why. I know they are from Microsoft for incompatability and Service red respectively, but no idea why they are showing now.

I uninstalled a few programs I updated the past week but they still show.

CCleaner, Sandboxie, Flash, FF.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

June 26th, 2014 04:00

It looks as if we finally have an answer to the mystery:   unseccapp.exe is connected with Avast's Browser Cleanup Tool (BCT)

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=150673.msg1097333#msg1097333

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=150673.msg1098930#msg1098930

And this is fully consistent with what I noted in the thread about Avast's recent "Emergency Updates", that I noticed the BCT was updated on (or about) 27 May  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19585811.aspx

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 30th, 2014 09:00

Can confirm I saw... and in fact, am still seeing... unsecapp.exe running in task manager.   I believe I first noticed it showing up as a "recent" addition in WinPatrol.

But I don't see wmiapsrv.exe --- I do see WmiPrvSE.exe running.

1K Posts

May 30th, 2014 11:00

You are right. It is wmiprvse.exe. I had another site open at the time and mixed the two of them. My bad. Thank you.

Now the question still remains. What and why are they doing  that they were not needed before. Which program, update, invoked them ?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 30th, 2014 12:00

I am not seeing any of the above mentioned processes - not in WinPatrol,  not in task manager, in both XP or Win 7.

I would suspect they come from programs you use that I do not currently have. Avast? EMET? Something else?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 30th, 2014 14:00

[On my Win7]  By default, I am seeing one instance of  unsecapp.exe running in task manager.  

However, when I check the box to "Show processes from all users", I see two instances of  unsecapp.exe  (one running for for "me", one for System) well as two instances of  WmiPrvSE.exe (one for System, one for Network).

I have no idea when they first showed up.   I know I took notice of them only recently... but that doesn't prove anything for me.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 30th, 2014 14:00

Have unsecapp.exe only in Task Manager

Gives a description of:

" Sink to receive asynchronous callbacks for WMI client application"

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 30th, 2014 15:00

Just checked my XP system... with processes from all users, there's either 1 or 2 instances of each running

1K Posts

May 30th, 2014 15:00

I started noticing wmiprvse.exe with FF 29 everytime I opened FF 29, but now, since unsecapp.exe showed up, wmiprvse.exe is there all the time.

Joe could be right. Others have speculated that unsecapp.exe is showing because of avast!, or that wmiprvse.exe needs unsecapp.exe in case there is the need for help.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 30th, 2014 17:00

I don't use Winpatrol or AVAST (never had either one) but I see 2 instances of WmiPrvSE.exe in Device Manager (Win 7 Pro, 32-bit). It's Properties tab list the Product Name as: Microsoft Windows Operating System.

I have an unsecapp.exe file on my HDD in a sub-folder of C:\windows\winsxs\..., but it's not listed as running according to Device Manager.

I'm using MS Security Essentials.

EDIT: And I only have IE11 installed, not FF.

1K Posts

May 30th, 2014 22:00

I don't use Winpatrol or AVAST (never had either one) ...

I have an unsecapp.exe file on my HDD in a sub-folder of C:\windows\winsxs\..., but it's not listed as running according to Device Manager.

Thank you Ron. So far unsecapp.exe is active in all instances where avast! is running and no other AV.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 31st, 2014 04:00

Hernan:   You wrote:  "There are a few questions around the web about it..."

Can you give us some links?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 31st, 2014 05:00

Hernan,

At the moment, I'm seeing on my XP system that WinPatrol first detected unsecapp on 5/26.  On that basis, and trying to connect it with avast [which you believe is a common denominator], I have to wonder whether this program has been activated as a result of the recent avast "emergency" updates???

1K Posts

May 31st, 2014 06:00

Hernan:   You wrote:  "There are a few questions around the web about it..."

Can you give us some links?

What I meant was one can find what unsecapp.exe is ( Google it ), but not why it was running and no one gives a definitive answer. eg.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2154724/unsecapp-exe-process.html

Since most hits are in English there was a topic opened in an Spanish forum where I was asked to participate since it was belived it started to show because avast!.

http://www.forospyware.com/t486677.html

Now. I added wmiprvse.exe to the question since it has never run in my system ( XP ) by itself, but only when FF 29 was opened. It seems that it is a regular active application en Win 7 and Win 8 so users did not find it out of place or related to unsecapp.exe.

Hernan,

At the moment, I'm seeing on my XP system that WinPatrol first detected unsecapp on 5/26.  On that basis, and trying to connect it with avast [which you believe is a common denominator], I have to wonder whether this program has been activated as a result of the recent avast "emergency" updates???

Mine too. unsecapp first detected on 5/27.
I wonder since the main avast! UI behaves like a web page, and as you reported the first EmUpdated upgraded avastUI, it is using a new type of connection to avast! servers where wmiprvse.exe is ran and unsecapp.exe is needed in case of incompatibility issues.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 31st, 2014 10:00

I just looked on another XP system, on which I didn't update avast until late yesterday... and WinPatrol is showing unsecapp as first being "found" today.

It really seems like it's something used by the recent avast emergency update.   (I have one more XP system I could try as well... eventually.)

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 31st, 2014 11:00

Hey guys...re-read my previous post.

I've never had AVAST or WinPatrol on this system and it's a clean Win 7 Pro SP1 install which I just did in Apr'14, and I have both of those files.

So unless the Digital River Win 7 .iso I used to do the clean install had it, where would I have gotten unsecapp, if this system never had WinPatrol or AVAST?  

I have unsecapp V6.1.7600.16385, dated 7-13-09, signed by Microsoft, so it's been around for a long time, but it's not running on my system according to Task Manager.

It's possible AVAST or WinPatrol made some changes that now require unsecapp to run, but it seems doubtful -to me- they installed it.

More likely it's just something you never knew existed on your HDD because it didn't run until now.

BTW: I just checked my old HDD which still has the original Dell OEM Win XP Pro install on it (but never AVAST or WinPatrol), and it also has unsecapp.exe, dated 8-14-2004. Can't say if it was ever running under XP, but it's been there since the beginning of that installation.

I think you're worrying about nada.

No Events found!