Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2023 05:00

Inspiron 15 3511 backlit keyboard

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3511 with a non-backlit keyboard. Am I able to replace the keyboard with a backlit one?

The community says that in order to have the backlit keyboard work, the motherboard should have a separate cable port for lightening so I am not sure how to check it without opening the laptop case.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 30th, 2023 09:00

The motherboard probably has the connector. On other Dell laptops I've opened, even those without a backlit keyboard had the connector present on the motherboard (if backlit keyboard was an option for that model, which it was for yours). 

So, yes, you probably can install the backlit keyboard if you can find the one that was intended for your model. It appears as though you will have to replace the entire palmrest and keyboard, as they are part of a single assembly and part number.

January 30th, 2023 23:00

@filbert thank you very much for your answer.

I have seen some backlit keyboards on amazon which contain only the keyboard and not the entire assembly like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PNCH4W6?th=1. Won't this option work as a replacement?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 31st, 2023 04:00

It depends on your expectations.  The palmrest-keyboard assembly is designed to be replaced as a single unit -- the keyboard is not designed to be separated from the palmrest.  The first order of business is for you to check the procedure for removing the assembly -- it's not trivial;  the entire system needs to be completely torn down.

There is no manual for replacing just the keyboard -- you may find it mounted with multiple screws, but more likely will find it plastic welded to the palmrest -- meaning you'll need to melt the welds and heat-weld in the new one.

Either way, carefully consider the benefit vs the significant risk of damaging the system with a keyboard replacement.

Service manual is here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3511-laptop/docs

January 31st, 2023 06:00

Thank you for a detailed explanation

No Events found!