Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2022 23:00

updating the management password for a couple of ESXi hosts in VxRail Appliance

Hi Guys,
I am having difficulty updating the management password for a couple of ESXi hosts in VxRail Appliance. and these are appliances are reporting "This host is missing. The following data is from cached information and may no longer be accurate. " from health Monitoring page.
Followed the below article in updating the password, however once the curl command is run, the status shows OK for few Minutes before becoming INVALID again. -- Dell Article 61400

I have tried restarting the PTAs and verified the communication is OK. even rebooted the host.

--Dell Article 52348

December 9th, 2022 03:00

Thanks Josh.. I got it figured out.

it was due to the role of the admin account on ESXi which was missing. hence those accounts could not be used to add ESXi hosts to VxRail.

I updated the roles in ESXi host using the esxcli system permission set command.

btw the accounts need "Admin" role on ESXi, which was present on other ESXi hosts but for some reason was missing on the problematic ESXi hosts. Once the permissions were updated and management password updated, it worked like a charm

November 23rd, 2022 23:00

hussainbte_0-1669274037399.png

please ignore the one which is disconnected, I am having some network issues with it

• 

8.5K Posts

November 28th, 2022 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for your question. What version are you using? It sounds like you are doing it correctly. You may want to contact phone support and have them go through the logs.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

November 30th, 2022 05:00

Hi Josh,

thank for the reply.

the version I am using is Version: 4.7.515-26640584..
I'm sorry but if I had the support active I would have contacted them.

FYI below is the log that might help:connectors-cluster.log

2022-11-30T16:46:34.719+0400 ERROR [ClusterServiceImpl-Pool-thread-2061] com.emc.mystic.manager.commons.emc.account.ManagementAccountServiceImpl ManagementAccountServiceImpl.getManagementAccountByHost:79 - The management account is invalid INVALID for host xyz5@abc.com
2022-11-30T16:46:34.720+0400 ERROR [ClusterServiceImpl-Pool-thread-2061] com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellApplianceServiceImpl DellApplianceServiceImpl.lambda$getApplianceGroup$4:121 - Fail to get dell pt adapter for host: xyz5@abc.com

2022-11-30T16:36:48.346+0400 ERROR [ClusterServiceImpl-Pool-thread-2058] com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellPTAdapterPool DellPTAdapterPool.getDellPTAdapter:66 - Fail to initialize the PT Agent adapter for host:xyz5@abc.com
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'DellPTAdapter': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Fail to get any response from PT agent on host: xyz5@abc.com. Please check the status of PT Agent.
at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.postProcessBeforeInitialization(InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:137) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyBeanPostProcessorsBeforeInitialization(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1620) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:555) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:483) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:325) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:207) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getBean(AbstractApplicationContext.java:1099) ~[spring-context-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellPTAdapterPool.getDellPTAdapter(DellPTAdapterPool.java:62) ~[mystic.manager.connectors.cluster-4.7.515-lib.jar:?]
at com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellApplianceServiceImpl.lambda$getApplianceGroup$4(DellApplianceServiceImpl.java:119) ~[mystic.manager.connectors.cluster-4.7.515-lib.jar:?]
at java.util.ArrayList.forEach(ArrayList.java:1257) ~[?:1.8.0_251]
at com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellApplianceServiceImpl.getApplianceGroup(DellApplianceServiceImpl.java:118) ~[mystic.manager.connectors.cluster-4.7.515-lib.jar:?]
at com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellApplianceServiceImpl.queryAppliance(DellApplianceServiceImpl.java:83) ~[mystic.manager.connectors.cluster-4.7.515-lib.jar:?]
at com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellApplianceServiceImpl.getAppliances(DellApplianceServiceImpl.java:68) ~[mystic.manager.connectors.cluster-4.7.515-lib.jar:?]
at com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.ClusterServiceImpl.lambda$queryClusterCall$1(ClusterServiceImpl.java:392) ~[mystic.manager.connectors.cluster-4.7.515-lib.jar:?]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:1.8.0_251]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_251]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_251]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_251]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Fail to get any response from PT agent on host: xyz5@abc.com. Please check the status of PT Agent.
at com.emc.mystic.manager.connectors.cluster.enclosure.dell.DellPTAdapter.afterProperties(DellPTAdapter.java:136) ~[mystic.manager.connectors.cluster-4.7.515-lib.jar:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_251]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_251]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_251]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_251]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$LifecycleElement.invoke(InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:366) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$LifecycleMetadata.invokeInitMethods(InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:311) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.postProcessBeforeInitialization(InitDestroyAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:134) ~[spring-beans-4.3.6.RELEASE.jar:4.3.6.RELEASE]
... 18 more

• 

8.5K Posts

November 30th, 2022 06:00

Try the steps here. https://dell.to/3Vkm8Wp

December 6th, 2022 21:00

Thanks Josh, but I had tried those already. Hasn't helped.  in fact I went ahead and rebooted the host.

what is puzzling me more is that when I run the curl command to use API to update the host password in VxRail, it shows connected for a while. for a span of a minute or two. then goes back to invalid again.

hussainbte_0-1670390648324.png

• 

8.5K Posts

December 7th, 2022 06:00

Try these steps:

Change user to root using the command "su - root" 
Stop the Marvin service using the command "service vmware-marvin stop"
Update the management_account table in the mysticmanager database. This will change psc-2 to psc-1, and change the state from INVALID to OK. Run the below commands:

psql -U postgres mysticmanager
    update management_account set host='https://dell.to/3Bgxq5M' where host like 'psc-2.%';     (Note: Replace https://dell.to/3W1793l with actual FQDN of PSC)
    update management_account set status='OK' where host='https://dell.to/3Bgxq5M';
    \q

Start the Marvin service using the command "service vmware-marvin start"

No Events found!