Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2015 10:00

Can't adjust brightness after installing Windows 10

Hello. I Have a Dell XPS 15 L521X.   Recently updated to Windows 10 and I can no longer adjust my brightness up or down.  

Right now the display is pretty dim.  I would guess about 30% - 40% brightness.  In Widows 10 I found about 5 different places to adjust your brightness and I made sure all of them were set to 100%.  I have my power plan set to high performance and I went into the advanced settings and turned off adaptive brightness and made sure both display brightness & dimmed display brightness are both set to 100% on battery and plugged in.  Rebooted and still dim.  

My question is, on Dell laptops, should Windows have full access to control brightness?  Or does Dell override Windows with their custom software for display settings?   When I bought this laptop in 2012, the software, at the time, was called Dell QuickSet.  Is that the application responsible for controlling screen brightness?  And is it required?  

Thank you,

Mike

4 Posts

July 30th, 2015 21:00

I am also having this same problem. My brightness was set to max after updating and it hurts my eyes. I did this.....Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel HD Graphics 4000 > Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer > Let me pick. Choose Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

After doing this my problem was fixed and I was able to adjust the brightness of my screen again. BUT if you play games on your laptop, doing this will cause display problems within your game.

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 04:00

Dear haovh_85, I have Inspiron 5000 series 15" laptop.

What OS version do you have currently ? I am under the impression that you have upgraded to WIN 10. The latest software have been released on the dell support site.

If you are not able to find the softwares there then you can check under Device Manager and going to particular hardware and check for upgrades. Hope this helps.

Thanks

3 Posts

August 11th, 2015 15:00

Solution that's worked for my XPS 15 L521X, Mid 2012:

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Of course brightnes settings didn't work.

All you have to do is to change BIOS setting (reboot, F2) in Boot options: 

Secure boot: disable

Legacy boot: enable

Boot mode: UEFI (should be already set).

Reboot.

System starts with Windows logo not dell logo, but drivers for HD Graphics 4000 works :)

Driver provided by Dell works normally (Fn+F4/F5) and newest driver from Windows Update works but Fn+F4/F5 not (but you can change brighness from Actions Center or Display Settings).

Anyway you can switch back to Dell's driver in Device Manager, choose HD Graphics 4000, Driver->Update driver->Search my computer..->let me choose, and select 10.18.10.4242. Windows update won't complain about outdated driver.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2015 00:00

This should solve the dim brightness situation for everyone running Windows 10 /8 or 8.1 with a Intel HD 4000 Integrated graphics on all brands.

found a way to install latest Intel HD Graphics (with Working Brightness and Fn Keys). Just download driver from Intel's website and install that on your Notebook. after that open RegEdit and search "FeatureTestControl" and change all instances to a value to 0xF048. Then restart your PC and brightness controls works fine.

OP was from 'http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/any-windows-10-intel-core-i5-with-intel-hd-4000/d5b3284b-416c-41a3-8d87-f5766b3406d6'

I can attest to the above, OP had a lenovo p500, im on an Lenovo z400; also have the Dell XPS 15" - Brightness could be changed in bios and Linux, But couldn't be changed in Windows OS. PnP monitor was already enabled, adaptive brightness was already disabled as well.

I hope this helps everyone else with this issue, i might create another thread and hope it gets bumped to help the community. I do not claim credit for the above fix as the OP in that forum spent many hours trying it himself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3fa2ph/having_problems_adjusting_brightness/

20 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 00:00

Confirmed.  This worked for me.  Dell XPS 15 L521X

Brightness controls now work in Windows 10.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000

http://i.imgur.com/rCUfZPJ.png

3 Posts

May 28th, 2016 21:00

I've been trying to resolve this on my Dell Latitude E7450 with Intel 5500 Display since I got it in January.

It was this video that solved it for me.

Long story short: change the monitor to "Generic PnP Monitor".  I'm not sure if this requires Secure Boot to be off (I have it off) or Legacy ROMs on (I have it on) as per another member suggested here.

Anyhow, this seems to have resolved it, and I'm now a happy camper!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 28th, 2015 13:00

I don’t see Quickset listed for Windows 8.1 on the L521x so it is likely not going to be needed for Windows 10.   I also checked the Bios and did not see any settings for screen brightness.

If you haven’t done so try pressing FN and F5 together and see if that helps. You may need to go into the BIOS (start the system tapping F12 to open the boot manager and then choose BIOS). Under the Advanced tab look for and toggle Function Key Behavior and then try FN and F5 again and see if it makes any kind of difference.

Right click and if you have the option choose Intel Graphic Properties, click the Display button and click the color tab and try moving the slider bar for brightness.

Other than that I can only think that it is a possible missing driver, I checked support.dell.com and didn’t find any Windows 10 drivers listed. More may be made available once Windows 10 is available to everyone so keep an eye open on support.dell.com.

TB

20 Posts

July 28th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for the quick reply Terry.  Fn + F4 & Fn + F5 has always brought up an animated volume status meter on screen that goes up and down accordingly.  The brightness of the screen just never actually changes.  So I know the laptop is receiving the request, it's just not processing them.   That is why I was curious if Dell built these to specifically require Dell software to access these settings.  

Windows 10 officially comes out tomorrow.  I've read that some people are already receiving notifications that they can begin the official upgrade process.  Since this laptop is out of warranty, will Dell still provide drivers for Windows 10?

I went ahead and installed the latest version of QuickSet that I could find for my model but even after a reboot, it doesn't appear to do anything so I am probably going to uninstall it.   http://dell.to/1MwzZlz

I also installed Dell Update 1.7.1007.0 in case it was able to find any extra drivers I missed.  It didn't.

Thanks,

Mike

9 Posts

July 28th, 2015 19:00

Me too. I am using dell l521x but if you install newest intel vga driver, you can not adj brightness of the screen, you can install old driver from windows 8.1 so you can change brightness of the screen.

4 Posts

July 29th, 2015 17:00

What I did is installed the display driver from win 8.1 provided by dell and it works. I can change the brightness of the monitor easily but the only problem i'm worried about is that the display driver crashes when the monitor is switched off during inactivity. I really want to know when the display driver becomes available

3 Posts

July 30th, 2015 12:00

I am also having a similar issue with my dell laptop after win10 upgrade. My brightness is set to maximum by default and I cannot adjust the brightness to minimum. I am stuck with the highest level of brightness.

I also tried changing it from Control panel ---> Power options but brghtness is not changing :(

I can access the brightness by F11 and  F12 keys but the brightnes is not changing. Pls help as I cannot work with max brightness level.

9 Posts

July 31st, 2015 20:00

I tried but i still can not change brightness. So sad... I am using l521x

20 Posts

July 31st, 2015 20:00

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Looks like Dell just recently added Windows 10 drivers to their support page for the XPS 15 L521X so I am going to try them first and see if that fixes my issues.   I'll report back with the results.

20 Posts

July 31st, 2015 23:00

Same.  New Intel drivers didn't make a difference.  Will continue to investigate.

In fact, I was using driver version 10.18.10.4252.  The driver from Dell is 10.18.10.4242.  Few minutes after installing the Dell driver, Windows automatically updated me back to 10.18.10.4252.  If the driver from Dell would have worked, I would have been concerned.  Is there a way to turn off automatic update?

1 Message

August 1st, 2015 08:00

Hello,

I have the same problem with my Dell XPS 14 L421X. I am looking forward for a solution from Dell support. It is not the first problem - similar issue emerged after an update to Windows 8.1.

Thank you for all your recommendations!

No Events found!