Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 17th, 2016 13:00

Remote Assistance Only Works on Home Network

Environment: Both computes running Windows10 with Remote Assistance enabled for both.

Error Message: A Remote Assistance connection could not be established.

When I drive to my friend's condo and we are both connected to her Wi-Fi there are no problems viewing her desktop screen using Remote Assistance. So essentially we are on the same network.

But if I try this from home or the Starbucks near where she lives, it doesn't work. (I am referring to accepting her request via email where she gives me the password to connect to her computer.)

I am running Norton Security with Backup. So my first thought was FIREWALL settings. But after I went into Settings (for Norton Security) and disabled Smart Firewall, it did not help.

Any ideas what other settings I could check?

TIA.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 18th, 2016 13:00

Thank goodness it doesn't work! You don't want anyone to have access using a wide open unsecured public network.

July 18th, 2016 16:00

A. It's got the same protection as always as long as I don't have to disable the firewall...and I have no evidence so far that I do with Remote Desktop.

B. Of course I would rather drive 50 miles round trip to research a friends Dell desktop, when I can do it from the comfort of my own home password & firewall protected. :-)

Footnote:

GoToMyPC connects just fine, but only the first 30 days are free.

No Events found!