Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2013 05:00

Anyway to restore files from an .inp backup from reformat?

Ok, so recently I had to reformat my Windows 8 Pro ultrabook. I tried to refresh the OS, restore from a previous restore point and reinstall the OS before I had to format it. Unfortunately none of the previous methods worked as I could not get past an unending start up screen or a blue screen error. When I tried to reinstall the OS it backed up all my user files to an external hard drive in an .inp file format. In that folder location it also created a migr.xml and include.xml file. After going through the include.xml file in a text editor I saw all my files that were lost were in the .inp archives. Is there anyway to retrieve those files?

2 Posts

September 12th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community, To restore data from external HDD or USB, try to download and run this migration utility from http://dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com/utilities/MigRestore.zip .

Note: Unzip the file and run the application (with the external HDD or USB connected). If at all the restoration process gets stuck at 99% (as reported by few of the users), you may close the utility and check the data, all data would have got restored successfully. Let me know how it goes.

If you can't locate it from HDD or USB then you can copy the .inp files to your computer on C drive in a folder and use the MigRestore utility to point to the folder on the computer.

Thank You

2K Posts

March 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi djdelirius,

The files that are saved as .inp format are not backup of your files and folders. You may use the below link to get more information on this:

http://dell.to/ZFLkEe

There are many third party software available n the market which you may want to try to check if you can use that to retrieve files.

September 9th, 2014 22:00

Sorry this is so long after the question was originally asked, but I spent many hours searching for a solution before testing my own idea and having a lot of joy, so felt I should share my knowledge with everyone. THIS SOLUTION WORKS COMPLETELY FOR ME, ON WINDOWS 7.

I assume these files were backed up using the Dell Backup and Restore program, or similar? The way I managed to succeed in recovering .inp files was to actually backup just the one file or so, in order to create a 'Profile1' path on my computer. 

I then delete the files inside this folder, leaving the folder intact. Copy the .inp files you had from the system backup into this folder, as if they were backed up there just minutes ago.

Open the Dell Backup and Restore program, and click Recovery. On the left hand side, click 'Data Backup', and it will give you an option to look through your documents, music, videos etc. This unfortunately is the backup you just made, but we can get around this. 

Click the search button on the top right of this window, and a message should appear near the bottom; "To search for your own archive, click browse." Do this, and it will search for your Profile1 folder. When it has found it, make sure the most recent folder is selected, and click Next. A list of all your recovered files should appear, and you can recover them directly from there.

Hope this helps people in future.

October 2nd, 2014 09:00

HI HARRY

M GETTING ERROR AS SELECT FILES TO RESTORE
I have created profile 1 folder and copied the .inf files ..bacup recovery also recognized it..

but .when I click it shows error..and I didn't understand select the recent folder?..

October 2nd, 2014 09:00

Are the .inp files you copied the ones you made before restoring your system?

October 2nd, 2014 10:00

hi..

I have copied it after restoring ...I got a BACKUP folder containing  .inf images

2 Posts

November 11th, 2014 19:00

I know this is about a year too late, but if anyone else runs into this problem (like I did) there is a simple solution. Go to this dell website:

www.dell.com/.../en

and download the MigRestore software, this will enable you to recover the INP.files within your backup folder. Dell Backup and Restore software will not recover files that contain the XML document files which is a major flaw of course.  

I spend hours looking for the solution, so hopefully this will save someone some time. 

Regards,

TK

December 11th, 2014 15:00

Hi Tadask,

I've downloaded the MigRestore, but when I open I can see none of my drivers in Browse button, could you help me to solve my problem?

I've already put my Profile1 folder in C, F (USB flash drive), External HDD, but none of them appears in MigRestore.

I have a Windows 7 Home Basic, Dell Inspiron N5010 and backed up some project files manually with Dell Backup and Recovery in external HDD, it shows me 10 .inp files.

Thanks.

Ederborges13

3 Posts

December 19th, 2014 14:00

im having the same issue here.

January 6th, 2015 19:00

Harry-Ogden post on 9 Sep 2014 PM worked great for me!

Odd that Dell doesn't just give us the option to browse directly to where the Profile1 directory is on the external backup drive. Dell if you are monitoring this post here's a good feature request.

Thank you Harry this recommendation saved all of my last years photographs and several hours of work.

1 Message

March 26th, 2015 06:00

I can't thank you enough for providing this!!!  I was stumped and now my files are being recovered.  For some reason, the final steps in my system restore were in a loop.  I had to use Task Manager to kill the Key... process.  Then, however, my backup was merely a folder full of .inp files -- and I had no way to access them.  Thank you! (Microsoft only referred me to Dell, by the way -- apparently not having this information.)

April 24th, 2015 15:00

This solution worked for me. MigRestore.zip was unzipped. I moved the backed up folder to the local drive, and then browsed to it from the tool. Worked beautifully!

Thank you!

4 Posts

June 28th, 2015 12:00

...and this is a lot of months later, after I spent hours trying to find a solution for this problem. Today I ran across your post and it is the solution that I was seeking. I just want to say thank you for your efforts and the post. Also, thank you Dell for keeping this post and the link available.

xedder

104 Posts

July 19th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

I did a backup using Dell Backup and Recovery software and it saved files in .inp format.

Will I be to restore my files (in original format) if my laptop crash?

Thank you

1 Message

July 25th, 2015 22:00

Using the migrestore utility worked for me.  It did give an error after getting to 99%.  It appears that all the files I backed up with the Dell Backup and Recovery program were restored with the Migration Restore utility.  The original backup were all .INP files.  The restored files went back into the folders that they were originally stored in.

Thanks for this thread!

No Events found!