Windows General

Last reply by 11-05-2017 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Boot configuration data file is missing; need to keep data

I have an Inspiron 17R. After installing a security update from Avast antivirus, I was told to restart to finish the update. After restarting, I get a blue screen stating that this PC needs to be repaired, the boot configuration data file is missing, and I needed to use recovery tools. The error code is: 0xc0000098

After purchasing the recovery USB from Dell, I ran the recovery tool and it started to scan for errors. After the scan, it said that the Master boot is fine, but the partition has a red X by it. I would have to back up and restore. When I tried to select the files I needed to specifically back up, the computer restarted. I didn't want to factory reset my computer as I still need some book marks and files I can't get any other way on it. Is there anything I can do?

Replies (13)
10 Diamond

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" external USB shell and connect it to a working system.  Copy what you need.

Before proceeding with the reinstall, run an extended -- not just quick - hard drive test.  F12 at powerup.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I ran the extended scan in the diagnostics under f12. It said there was no errors. I'm not sure I will be able to take the hard drive out as I have a laptop. I'm also afraid of messing it up since Ive never taken one out before.

10 Diamond

If you have an external drive, you can also make a bootable Linux flash drive, boot the system from it and use that to copy what you need to the external drive.  If not, contact a local computer repair shop for assistance.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Would it help if I created a Windows installation drive using the Media create tool and repair the BCD file that way? I've seen some videos on how to do it. They are all similar and I think I can do it that way.

10 Diamond

It depends on what's wrong.  And I would not make ANY attempt at recovery before you've made a full backup of any files you can't afford to lose.  Chances are that now, you can recover your data -- if you make an attempt that fails, you may lose that option.

Get the data off the drive before proceeding.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I was able to create an installation USB. After loading up and selecting repair this computer, I ran the diagnostic tool. It started to run, then restarted. I'm not even sure it fixed anything. It still won't boot. Now when I try to use the USB again to access the command prompt, it is giving me another blue screen with the error code 0xc000000e

I ran the diagnostic in the f12 menu and instead of the partition table having an X by it, the boot files have the X. Did something break the USB? I originally had either Windows 7 or 8 and updated to 10. The installation file is for Windows 10.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

maybe, you can choose to backup files in safe mode( https://www.backup-utility.com/backup-restore/backup-files-safe-mode-4348.html ) before you reset your computer.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

That link doesn't work. I can't even get into safe mode because the computer won't boot up enough to even get to safe mode. I can't boot windows at all to be able to boot to windows.

10 Diamond

What model system do you have (i.e., XPS 9550, Inspiron N5110, etc.)?  And is it a hard drive, or a solid state drive?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor