Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2014 13:00

Dell XPS 13 - how to do fresh Windows 7 install

I have a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook (L322X) running Windows 7. Everything was fine up till a few days ago when Windows Update (for no reason!) decided to install some patches on my machine. When i next restarted, it started applying those Windows patches, and got hung Applying Update XX of XX.  Multiple restarts and reboots didn't help. After trying a few things to resolve i gave up and i decided to perform a fresh Windows 7 install. (i have backups of all my files).

Does anyone have instructions on how to do a fresh install of Windows 7 from a USB drive on Dell XPS 13?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 14th, 2014 15:00

See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Note you will need to disable the USB 3.0 functionality of the USB ports otherwise the Windows 7 install will crash as Windows 7 has no native support for USB 3.0.

January 18th, 2014 15:00

I tried following the instructions and I have disabled USB 3.0 as described (by toggling the Debugging switch in the BIOS of the Dell XPS 13).  I have created a bootable USB disk, and managed to kickoff the initial stages of the Windows install.  However, after the working thru the first few screens of the Windows 7 install, i am getting the following error (just after the section where it asks me to format my SSD disk):-

"Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057"

Would appreciate any help.

January 20th, 2014 22:00

I downloaded the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver off the Dell ftp website as per suggested in your post above.

(refer to the below for the driver i downloaded)

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-13-l321x-mlk?driverId=NGJCT&osCode=W764&fileId=3126807834&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SA

I then extracted the driver files as per the instructions in the video in the last link and copied them to my USB key. 

I then proceeded to kickoff Windows 7 install from the USB boot drive and Loaded the drivers as per your instructions.

All well and good.... however..... Windows 7 install still hangs when formatting the SSD.

Can i confirm if i have got the right driver loaded for my Dell XPS 13?  (as wanted to eliminate incorrect drivers from the equation)

is there anything else i can try? 

David

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 20th, 2014 23:00

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 20th, 2014 23:00

Also run the F12 preboot diagnostics in case the SSD has failed. It could be the reason for your initial problem.

No Events found!