Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2012 01:00

How to enable NX in bios for Win8

Hi, have a dell dimension 8400 and trying to install win8 but getting error code relating to NX enable in bios. Updated bios to A05(which specifically mentions enable of NX) but cannot find anything in bios settings to do this. Any ideas? Cheers

565 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 03:00

Hi,

NX stands for No eXecute and it is a technology used in processors to prevent execution of certain types of code. This was originally invented by AMD.

XD is the acronym for eXecute Disable, which is an Intel specific implementation of NX. It refers to the same feature but Intel chose to call it by a different name.

In Dimension 8400 the processor is Intel, which would use XD instead of NX.

Also, attaching a BIOS image for your reference

Please reply if you have any further questions.

September 2nd, 2012 04:00

Hi, thanks for reply. This option 'execute disable' in Bios settings is not available to me. Have updated bios further to A09, but again no option here, just the 3 tabs referring to passwords.

Regards

September 2nd, 2012 05:00

processor details

September 2nd, 2012 05:00

565 Posts

September 5th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

To help further we would need the service tag for the computer.

Request you to private message me your system service tag number. To private message accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

September 5th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

I've the same problem with my optiplex 755, I enable it (BIOS), but the windows 8 installer didn't find the feature, like VirtualBox...

Very strange problem.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2012 10:00

I am using a Dell Dimension 5000 with Intel Pentium 4 / Intel i915G Express Chipset.

I have the same issue. I guess this cpu is simply not able to run this "Execute Disable Bit", as I read this Intel datasheet :

http://ark.intel.com/products/27463/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-530530J-supporting-HT-Technology-1M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

I updated the bios to A07 but the option is not available because of the hardware.

Thanks for any help in case there is a solution.

1 Message

November 9th, 2012 11:00

Hi Madhur! I have the exact same problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 P4. Coreinfo results indicate my processor is NX capable, and I've applied A9 bios upgrade with no visible options for turning that feature on or off. I'd like to upgrade to Windows 8, stops short due to NX not being turned on. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please email me, [ADMIN NOTE:  Email address removed per privacy policy], if possible, I'll supply you my Dell Tag. Thanks in advance!

1 Message

November 24th, 2012 08:00

So were you able to resolve the problem?  If so how?  I have an xps 9000 that I would like to run 8 on.

Thanks...

1 Message

December 29th, 2012 19:00

I'm running into the same problem.  Can anyone share the workaround?  Thanks!

2 Posts

January 31st, 2013 01:00

Just found a solution! You can buy for very little money an aftermarket CPU with NX support for your current PC. Check the socket type and compatibility. Mine is a Dell Dimension 5000 with Intel i915 chipset / Socket 775. ark.intel.com/.../Intel-915G-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller then "compatibility".

I installed W8 and it worked out. Today is the last day of the special offer...

1 Message

May 4th, 2014 09:00

I AM USING THE DELL VOSTRO 270s. THERE IS NO OPTION IN THE BIOS MENU FOR ENABLING XD .

MY BIOS VERSION IS A11. can you help me out. i wanted to intall windows 8

August 11th, 2022 06:00

@criddick73 wrote:

Hi Madhur! I have the exact same problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 P4. Coreinfo results indicate my processor is NX capable, and I've applied A9 bios upgrade with no visible options for turning that feature on or off. I'd like to upgrade to Windows 8, stops short due to NX not being turned on. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please email me, [ADMIN NOTE:  Email address removed per privacy policy], if possible, I'll supply you my Dell Tag. Thanks in advance!

I have your same problem. Coreinfo says that my processor supports nx but i cannot turn it on . I have optiplex gx 270 with a07 bios

162 Posts

August 21st, 2022 23:00

Follow the steps below:

1. Restart your computer

2. While booting, before the Windows starts, press the key to go to BIOS. The key to open the BIOS is different for different computers. Most computers use the keys F2, F12 or DELETE. Try each of these keys and see if you can get to the BIOS. If none of those keys work, then one of the tricks I do is, press all the function keys (F1 to F12) repeatedly on the computer while starting the computer. Hopefully, that will work.

3. In the BIOS, go to Security tab.

4. Look for the NX or XD flag. In case of Intel processors, you will see the XD flag and in case of AMD processors, you will see the NX flag. If that is not enabled, toggle the option and enable it.

5. Save the settings and exit the BIOS settings.

6. Restart your computer.

Now try to install Windows 8 Release Preview. Since you have enabled NX/XD bit, you will not see the error Your PC's CPU isn't compatible with Windows 8 anymore.

NX and XD flags missing in the BIOS

The NX or XD flag is not available in all the BIOS programs. Many manufacturers are not showing this option in the BIOS. I tried a Lenovo Ideapad laptop and a Sony Vaio laptop. Both laptops have these options missing in the BIOS. I am still searching for a solution to this and I will post if I find anything. I found one of the forums that says we need to contact the computer manufacturer and get an updated version of the BIOS program to see the NX/XD bit flags in the BIOS. I am not sure how many consumers are going to take this pain and upgrade the BIOS program to install Windows 8 on their computer.

If the eXecute Disable feature is missing in the BIOS, there are few possible reasons:

1. You have an outdated BIOS program

2. Your CPU does not support NX/XD flag. This is modern feature introduced in newer versions of the CPU and may not be available in old versions of the CPUs. If you have an old computer, your CPU may not have this feature.

3. You may have an incompatible operating system. Only new operating systems like Windows Server 2003, Windows 2008, Windows XPWindows 7, Windows 8 and new versions of Linux support the XN/XD feature.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

346 Posts

January 23rd, 2023 23:00

Restart your computer.
While booting, before the Windows starts, press the key to go to BIOS. The key to open the BIOS is different for different computers. 
In the BIOS, go to Security tab.
Look for the NX or XD. flag. 
Save the settings and exit the BIOS settings.
Restart your computer.

Regards,
John

No Events found!